Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brakes are made of wood

Anthraxnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
they may as well been yesterday when i had to stop from 110km\h to 0 in a short amount of space and nearly went up the back of a falcon.

i was basically standing on the brake pedal with both feet and it refused to slow down properly or even lockup, the only wheel to lock up was the rear passenger side when i had to move evasively.

i know that the front rotors are close to their minimum depth the pads still have a decent amount left, but would to cause a failure of the entire braking system? it felt like the brakes faded immediately.

my guess is it has **** pads on the front, are they supposed to cover 100% of the rotor or like 95% in my case, there is a gap of about 2-3mm between the top of the rotor and the top of the pad.

You can see because the rotor worn enough to see bare metal where the pads are touching and at the top where its a rust colour.

thanks

Front drivers side
brake1.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The pad contact area on the rotor is normal. Check your booster, was the pedal really hard or was it that you just had no stopping power? New rotors and pads will make a world of difference if the booster and vacuum is OK.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
A set of slotted rotors are only about $600, and make a world of difference over standard.

Braking is one area of your car you shouldn't spend less on.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
$600? Wow, expensive. I do RDA slotted rotors for a VN for $145 a pair.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Or ask GSL Rallysport about some QFM pads, new rotors and brake flush & bleed. And ensure the pistons in the calipers are moving freely

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i was basically standing on the brake pedal with both feet and it refused to slow down properly or even lockup, the only wheel to lock up was the rear passenger side when i had to move evasively.

be happy only one rear wheel locked up, if both had it would probably have swapped ends on and you woulda been ****ed then:whistling

$600? Wow, expensive. I do RDA slotted rotors for a VN for $145 a pair.

thats a nice price, how do they compare to DBA? for that price why would anybody ever put standard rotors on their car again.

definitly throw those pads away. check booster (put foot on brake and start car, if the pedal sinks a bit it should be fine). is there air in the brake lines? (spongy pedal)

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Vn brakes are terrible, when i got mine i thought 'wtf these are soo bad' then when i got it serviced few days later realised the car had no brake pads and i was driving metal/metal for 5 days, after getting pads they are still crap as. probably the worst in any car ive driven

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
DBA are riding the wave of a monopoly, but it has already crested and is about to break on the beach. RDA have been around since 1987 and are a quality product. They have recently gone into the performance side of brakes, which has only really been covered by the larger companies such as DBA.

friedchicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Look into a different set of calipers while your getting it fixed. Go the finned ones at least.