Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes squealing after new slotted rotors?

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
Hi guys. I changed my rotors to dba slotted rotors about 5000km ago, Had about 2 month old brake pads at the time. With my old rotors, the brakes never squealed, now with the dba ones they squeal all the time. My initial thought was that i had crappy pads, but they never squealed with my old rotors?? What could be the problem?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You should have replaced the pads at the same time. Old pads have been matched/mated to the surface old discs most likely cause of your problems. New pads and disc should be 'bedded-in' after installation.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Even old pads need to be bedded in to the new rotors. Run it up to 60km/h, jump on the brakes hard down to 10km/h, do that 5 or six times until you can really smell the brakes, then drive around for 10 minutes or so to let them cool down trying not to brake too much. That should fix your squealing.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
new discs = new pads. you can try to wear in as suggested, but best if you replace. different brands may squeek as well btw... I had a set of pagid pads on my last car, and squealed all the way down the road... replaced with different brand and all fine.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Did you wash the protective coating off the disc's when you installed your new disc's?

If not your pads will be loaded up with oil, suggestion is remove the pads and sand them down on a flat surface or replace them depending on what sort of life you have left in them. At the same time see if your pads have a schamfer on the leading edge this will allow air to enter the pad and remove the dust as you drive, some pads have it already some don't.

Or try using C.R.C. its a quick fix, the squeal will go but may come back depending how bad it is.

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
I had the same problem but with new pads they just wouldnt bed, took them out scuffed them to deglaze put them back in and same thing a short time later same prob, used disk cleaner "anti squeal" cleaner no good. In the end I went back to standard pads....no problems. Some pads have too hard a compound and will allways glaze no matter what. JMO.

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
cheers for the info guys, Yeh i just bought a set of qfm hpx pads so i will install them and see if the problem is solved. Thanks!

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
i bought the dba gold drilled and slotted,had a buzzing noise from the back pair and even louder under break,mechanic couldnt figure out why he told me to take them back bcos it wasnt normal,replaced them with new standards.. noise gone.
fronts needed to be machined around 2 months after installing,now after 3-4 months the break shudder is back,changing the fronts back to standards too this weekend.
not sure if this is a common problem with these rotors or i just got a dodgy set lol
oh and also ....front pair of dba gold drilled and slotted rotors for sale 7 months old very cheap hahaha........:)