Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brand of radiator

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Where do the radiators normally fail? I'm asking because I notice the smell of hot coolant as soon as my engine is up to temp. I'm a bit concerned that it may have a slow leak. I can't find anything and it doesn't lose any coolant, so it's obviously not bad. I was just wondering where I can check it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Where do the radiators normally fail? I'm asking because I notice the smell of hot coolant as soon as my engine is up to temp. I'm a bit concerned that it may have a slow leak. I can't find anything and it doesn't lose any coolant, so it's obviously not bad. I was just wondering where I can check it.
Mine was the same. I could smell it before I saw it. Mine was at the bottom passenger side where alloy clamps to plastic bottom tank.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Mine was the same. I could smell it before I saw it. Mine was at the bottom passenger side where alloy clamps to plastic bottom tank.
I think that’s where mine is

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Jack and remove the panel under the car which covers the radiator and take a look. I couldn't see much from the top but there was coolant everywhere underneath. I was slowly losing coolant though. Could smell it when hot also.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

look around where the plastic tanks join to the metal parts of the radiator and you will also see the red stuff in the area localized to the leak because air will force it around.

another handy trick is to use a uv light to look around because dexcool is somewhat uv reactive so you can spot leaks/stains a bit easier

uv.jpg

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
look around where the plastic tanks join to the metal parts of the radiator and you will also see the red stuff in the area localized to the leak because air will force it around.

another handy trick is to use a uv light to look around because dexcool is somewhat uv reactive so you can spot leaks/stains a bit easier

uv.jpg
That's a great tip. Didnt even think about trying that (not that I have a leak atm!)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That's a great tip. Didnt even think about trying that (not that I have a leak atm!)
Just be warned you may also find an aircon leak while your looking about…

Ostriches need not worry :p:p:p

PS: pipped at the post by stooge :p
PPS: hate auto correct for “aircon” to “air on” so manually fixed it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have decided to go genuine, and I am also replacing the water pump with a new genuine unit, genuine hoses and thermostat.

Means my whole cooling system should be good for another 8 years!