Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brand of radiator

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Look like I need to replace my radiator. Not surprised after 8 years / 140,000kms.

Should I replace with genuine, or is a generic brand ok?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Look like I need to replace my radiator. Not surprised after 8 years / 140,000kms.

Adrad are a decent brand and cost competitive. I just bought a new radiator for my SSV and it was $300 for an Adrad from my local radiator shop.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Radiators used to last for many multiple decades if the coolant flush schedule was followed (and that was with iron block, alloy heads and a brass radiator with lots of scope for electrolysis to cause problems)… So it’s wrong that people now consider 8 years a good run…

I’d consider that the current design is one of “not acceptable quality” if it only lasts 8 years…This should especially be the case if the failure is the radiator neck cracking or breaking off, unless the failure is due to lack of coolant flush (customer neglect) or a stone was kicked up and puncturing the radiator (just bad luck).

If you maintained the vehicle to factor6 standard and especially considering that many commodores had a 7 year factory warranty, I’d seriously consider making an ACL statutory warranty claim against the business that sold you the car (and or Holden)…

Whatever the case, I’d always use oem radiators if available since their fitment is guaranteed and they should just slide in without issue.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Radiators used to last for many multiple decades if the coolant flush schedule was followed (and that was with iron block, alloy heads and a brass radiator with lots of scope for electrolysis to cause problems)… So it’s wrong that people now consider 8 years a good run…

I’d consider that the current design is one of “not acceptable quality” if it only lasts 8 years…This should especially be the case if the failure is the radiator neck cracking or breaking off, unless the failure is due to lack of coolant flush (customer neglect) or a stone was kicked up and puncturing the radiator (just bad luck).

If you maintained the vehicle to factor6 standard and especially considering that many commodores had a 7 year factory warranty, I’d seriously consider making an ACL statutory warranty claim against the business that sold you the car (and or Holden)…

Whatever the case, I’d always use oem radiators if available since their fitment is guaranteed and they should just slide in without issue.
Looks like the bottom next / outlet

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Bought mine from Fenix and seems to be good, you can get a full alloy rad so you’ll never have to worry about it again but decent quality ones aren’t cheap

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I replaced mine with OEM one made by Denso. The cost was just under 1k with radiator, all hoses, cap, materials and labour

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723_182832_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723_182832_Gallery.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 73

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I wouldn't get genuine/OEM again on the off chance that it happens again. It's a fairly common issue (happened to me also).