Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brown sludge under radiator cap

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
What color is your engine oil?

Get some oil off of your engines dipstick and wipe it onto a rag or a tissue, get some of the sludge and do the same, compare the color of each substance and I'm pretty sure you will see that it is not oil.

I love it how people always say it's the inlet manifold gasket and oil it's leaking into the coolant. How many of you have perfectly brown engine oil that does not have a slight tinge of black to it? Again why is it always brown and never black?

And to add to that if your mixing green coolant with red trans fluidwhat colour are you gunna get.....

MRlemoncalais

MRlemoncalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais v6
Because oil leaks into the coolant? Correct me if I'm wrong.

then wouldnt this also go the other way? having coolant in the oil? I have a 97 vt v6 and had a new watr pump, radiator and had it flushed as well, still has that same shitty brown "oily" stuff in it. although it was a few weeks before it came back. And all my oil levels arent dropping.. :S

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
From My Experience, Inlet Gaskets, Both on a VR & VY, brown thick sludge and i KNOW it was not the pellets as both cars were flushed completely clean. But then brown sludge returned. After replacing these gaskets on both cars, symptoms have not returned.
VR was done 2 years ago still perfectly clean VY done 5 months ago, still perfectly clean.
Once i removed these gaskets you could see sections where oil was passing threw into the water channels.
Its cheap to do if you have the tools, id rather just do them then clogging up your cooling system with sludge ! both cars over 200k on the clock.
As for the Oil being back in the coolant, Get some old black oil, get some new coolant, mix the 2 together at about 2,000 RPM causing foam etc, it dilutes giving you a brown colour and a sludge lol

Last edited: