Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Building a 304 and want big hp!!!!!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Yeah look, all I am saying is work your way up. Right now you probably have all these kw, hp, nm and ftlb figures swimming round I your head but JUST STOP.
There is tonnes Of literature on building engines. The best money you will ever spend is 50 bucks on the Holden v8 bible. Then there are around 5 or six other books i can recommend. Reading and learning takes a long time, and true some times you need to make all the wrong decisions first before you learn, but forums like this are here to hopefully helP you avoid that $20k sting that you will regret later.

So, and this will hopefully be my last lecture: what do you want? Why do you want it?

We users here on jc can build you a race motor that delivers 600hp, but stalls at every set of traffic lights, we can give you a 400hp engine that will have enough low torque to split your block, ooooor, we can give you a 250hp engine that gets Peak torque@1600 rpm and smokes most cars from one set of lights to the next.

You need to decide ongears, you need to decide on fuel consumption, you need to decide on cost, you need to decide on use, etc etc etcetcetcetcetc.

Get yourself a really basic book called 4 stroke performance tuning by a. Graham bell. It'll be about 30 bucks anday take a week to read, but if you are gonna drop 20k then a weeks worth of research is good value

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
here we go and no mention of LS as you said you want an aussie keeper.....and a keeper to me means it is not an everyday driver in the everyday just bash it about and wear it out sense..
a 396 come is too expensive for you so that leaves a 383 with a small cam if you want a laid back bruiser ( a second hand 355 is much better value though). If you want a screamer type of bruiser then put a top mount blower on your existing 304 (if it checks as OK) and drive this while you prepare for an overhaul to suit the blower and start working out what else in the car is now breaking like your control arms, unis, 2nd gear, clutch....(why top mount - gets rid of manifold problems and just looks proper to me).....but my real advice is also to stop and have a good think.....and to help you think here is my cheapest bang for your buck for your consideration and research

spend up on headers and exhaust to get a cranky sound you love (especially being a manual- no auto drone for you) .a ricer will pull up next to you and rev his car to get your attention - pop his blowoff or whatever - just remember that you were just sitting there idling when you got his. There is now no need for a showdown as you already have him beaten (rotaries are the exception - if you can hear it brapppping away at idle then do not make eye contact)
get a short shifter from the us for $120 delivered and put dexron3 mineral in your box for a big improvement
put some fresh lsx90 or similar into the diff
buy a coolant hose pack and do the lot
fuel filter (and tank hoses/under hood fuel hoses if never changed)
oil and filter
flush your brakes
flush power steer
dizzy cap /rotor/ hec716 coil/8mm quality leads (keep revs reasonable and coil can still saturate OK- with good cap and rotor it will not hurt ignition module) if you pull big rpm use MEC718 as it needs less dwell time to fully saturate - if you cannot be bothered changing the cap and rotor as they wear then stick to the 718
set 10 degrees base timing if you change injectors - if not you may be able to sneak a little more
if you do not tow (and have an ordinary 304 with stock memcal) then change injectors to 725 or 702 (from your 960) to remove a little fuel in open loop. has no change to closed loop AFR. ($40 should get 8)
On the very very very unlikely chance that cylinders 7 and 8 are looking hot (white/lean) change to bpr7ef plugs to pull a little heat out
momo steering wheel cause it makes you feel good
springs and wheels to suit that make you happy

drive and enjoy while you think about your next step

Last edited:

hsv355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv sv enhanced
thanks heaps lads for taking the time to educate me on something i know very little about but love appreciate it very much cheers

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
Ask anyone anything bud how r u suppose to learn we all been there done that

ward

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
G'day if you are still are going down the 304 route i'm thinking of selling my custom mick's metalcraft efi tunnel ram to suit vn heads with twin throttle bodies, set up for nos and all complete with throttle linkage and brackets if i was get get what i want for it.
Pm me if anyone intereseted and can send pics or can give more info
cheers Wardy

Damian Cane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Some times its just about the Passion!
We run a VS Race car with a 355 stroker. In fact of all the v8s in the catagory, our Holden is the only Holden with holden engine. Its got about 400 at the wheels, but its all about the torque. Build what the heart desires!!

Damian Cane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Our.VS running a 355
FB_IMG_1553853634378.jpg