Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a sub box

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey Ben, building a box and building a sub box are two totally different things. If your ready for it, good on ya!

List of materials are....

3/4" MDF between 1-2 sheets depending on your enclosure
Liquid nails
1 1/2" wood screws for MDF
Silicone
Spray adhesive
Speaker terminal plate

Pre-drill all your screw holes or the MDF will just split like a ..... banana :D
As well as screwing every panel down... use a bead of liquid nails for good measure.
Every join must be siliconed internally.... and there is a trick to that also!

Start with the front of the box, then glue, screw and silicone the sides on. So the only panel left is the back.
Then glue and screw the rear panel on.
Flip the box and cut out the sub hole use a jigsaw. (usually there is a cardboard template on the box or in the box. Make sure you use the smaller of the two, otherwise that puppy drops right through!)

Once you have cut that hole, vacuum out the box and then you can easily silicone the back panel through the sub holes.

If you go the path of a vented enclosure, I spray matt black into the sides of the vent to cover the raw wood.

Also, don't forget to drill the hole for the speaker terminal (don't laugh, you'll be surprised at how many remember after carpeting...

But seriously mate, there is so much to consider to do it properly but if someone says they want too.... then you ask as many questions as you want you will find many of us here have the answers.

That is exactly the information that I am after, thanks very much for taking the time to write that up :)

That picture I uploaded, that's what I want to do. Now the only problem is that the VS has a weird shaped boot, but I am still willing to give it a go.

Thanks for all the help though guys, I think I have enough now to get started at least haha.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
oh and looking at that photo you posted.... I think you will find that those subs are in a prefab enclosure but the rest is built around that box. Which as can you see.... also works well and often times takes the headache out of the box building... although, never with the same result or the same level of satisfaction.

Yeah looking at the photo again, I think you are right. I would rather do it properly :)

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Make sure the box is tuned to your subs

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yeah I just went onto Alpine's website and found the following info for those exact subs.

Recommended enclosure sizes for optimum bass output
Sealed Enclosure:
Recommended: 25.5L
Vented Enclosure:
Recommended Volume: 51.0L
Round Port Dia. x L (cm): 10.2 x 40.6
Slot Port W x H x L (cm): 35 x 2.33 x 40.6

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I thought silcone fumes were bad for the sub cones, read it a few times

Jaycar have some great speaker plate terminals too and are reasonable priced too

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Im not very familiar with sub boxes but I do have some advice. :)

The part of the box where the amps will be located, make sure that that part of the box is properly and has enough ventalation for air to be released and to flow through. Don't want to start a boot fire or burn carpet haha.

Kinng

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I thought silcone fumes were bad for the sub cones, read it a few times

Jaycar have some great speaker plate terminals too and are reasonable priced too

You know I have heard the same thing before... personally I don't believe it. I've been using it for a touch over 15 years in speaker enclosures (not just subs) and I haven't seen any issues that I think could be related to the use of silicone. But who knows? I've been wrong on plenty of occasions before! lol But I most certainly have no evidence to prove thats it no problem... Might have to do some reading into this.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I vaguely remember, but don't know for sure, more possible info the better. If its bullshit happy days, but it might just save U some hassle if its true.

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
I have heard that theory as well, with silicone being bad for sub cones. I have never personally believed it though, as I haven't seen evidence.

The reason as to why it is believed silicon fumes can be bad for you sub cones is that from the time the silicon is applied to the box and the 24 hour time period that follows is that the silicone can eat into the rubber seal of the sub. That I imagine would be something you would want to avoid haha.

SCVS6, if you want to be safe, after you apply the silicone to the sub box, leave it for 24-48 hours for the fumes to evaporate before putting your subs in to the box. This method would be the safest! Also, make sure the design of the box allows you to take the sub in and out. You can also use PVC glue instead of silicone which is better because the fume will not eat into your rubber frames and seal on the sub.

Kinng

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Last box I built I used PVC for all joins, didn't have any liquid nails. All held together fine