Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

burn my bridges?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Definitely don't burn the bridge even if they are wankers.
If you're lucky and you're the the guy who does take up a lot of the slack around the workplace, when you leave they'll be affected.
Thats the way Ive looked at things when I've quit jobs in the past.. lol

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
do your workmates a favour. sit down with your boss like an adult, explain to him you are resigning and dicuss why. explain your concerns with working conditions and tell him how your workmates feel. dont get personal, keep a calm and level head about it and as a result at least the guys that come after you may get a better ride.

take the first step to doing it as an adult, if he acts like a twat, then tell him to go f'k himself. at least you tried.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
unfortunately it's all to common to have employers that only focus's on the negative. my manager being one of them. i guess at the end of the day you have 2 options, put up with it or move on.

It really varies from workplace to workplace, and even employee to employee. I know there are (more than) a few over the years that think I'm an out and out bastard and that includes a few were I am right now. On the other hand there are hundreds who will argue otherwise. At times the individual has not really deserved what he got but was in a toxic work culture which had to be changed. Unfortunately there are a few unintended casualties when that happens but it can't be helped. That's not to say I enjoyed the process either.

at the end of the day, poor quality management/management practices will lead to unproductive work environments with lots of conflict but for the love of god they will never see themselves as the problem. when i went back to my current employer someone said to me how much the place had changed. it really is funny how right and wrong they were with that statement. yes, there are many new staff (read high staff turnover) and there is plenty of new equipment however the company is still making the same basic mistakes they were making 20 year ago and the only common denominator left is those senior managers that have been there from day zip (that being my manager)

The part in bold is exactly right and ultimately it is management's responsibility to achieve a productive (safe and profitable amongst others) work environment. It's senior management's responsibility to oversee the middle and front line managers to make sure they are performing adequately - if the manager is the issue then changes should be made so in reality it's a reflection of everybody above the problem if their performance is sub-par.

Reaper

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
That's very true, but what's got me stuffed is just how many managers are useless as tits on a bull!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
some of the things they’ve said to us.
- we shouldnt be in the toilet so long
if it takes me an hour to push out a nugget the size of my finger nail, im'a take that hour. cause shittin is in the top 3 things i like to do.

I'd be the same, if it takes an hour to do your business, properly, not just for the fact of wasting time. Then you got to do it, however, if it starts to hamper your productivity or efficiency, then you might have to stay back later to make up lost time...but judging by your situation...you wouldn't need to.

- i shouldnt be talking to matt (other employee i work with)
hes the only other guy i work with. the way they made it sound, it was like i slashed a disabled persons tyres on his wheel chair. from a 2-5 min convo about what he got up to on the w.e

Tell them to get ####ed on that one...if your boss was smart, he/she would realise that a quick break here and there from your work increases productivity...because it relaxes you, not stresses you.

- you should go to toilet on ur lunch break, eat on ur lunch break, make any personal phone calls on ur lunch break and do any personal things on ur lunch break.

Toilet on lunch break? Tell them to get ####ed, you go when you need to (within reason), eat on your lunch break? Tell them to get ####ed, a healthy diet is 6 small meals a day...they can't control your diet. Personal phone calls is slightly understandable, depends on the workplace though.

im going to let chris rock do this one:
A half-hour lunch break? By the time you put on your jacket, walk around the corner, go to the sandwich spot, order a sandwich, wait for them to make it, then get on another line to pay for it, 28 minutes have passed. Now you rushing back to work, you're eating your sandwich, you're spilling beer down your shirt. And when you get in, your boss got the nerve to go, 'hey, man, you're eight
minutes' F**K YOU! 'do you realize even criminals in jail get a hour lunch break?'
-we should be at work 15 mins early
I get asked why im 2 mins late back from lunch but they expect me to start 15 mins early?

A RIGID half an hour lunch break with no allowance either side is pretty poor form, particularly when coupled with expecting you to start 15 minutes early and complaining that your 2 minutes late from break...I would politely tell them where to go.

Sounds like your in a pretty bad workplace mate...As a professional, and as someone who has grown up in the corporate industry and been raised in a strong ethical, honest and supportive manner, your boss is doing his/her business no favours...
There are always boundaries which vary from workplace to workplace, but I think alot of employers including one of mine fail to understand a few key points that almost certainly guarantee a productive, efficient, happy, and successful workplace:

• Employee Affirmation: A pat on the back or acknowledgement of a job well done is something seriously underestimated in business. Too many employers are blaze' about how they treat their employees, with rigid boundaries and only talk to/about the things that an employee doesn't do right. And when you get it right, you get no affirmation, which is both degrading, discouraging and disappointing. Because it's a basic human instinct to want to be loved/or appreciated.
  • Consistency: Employers are often very inconsistent with the way they treat their employees (within reason), particularly with their own example as well. For instance, if they want to set the standard for anything within their business, i.e. no facebook, no personal calls during work time, then they need to lead from the front. They are subject to the same rules, not out of obligation, but for employee respect, and loyalty.
  • Respect and Loyalty is to be Earned by Employers not Demanded: Following on from the above, employers need to approach a solid work ethic from their employees through affirmation, business drive, building relationships with employees (team building, both in social and in business respects).
If you wanted an answer to your original question, I would politely resign (taking into account your personal family history with your employers) stating that you are resigning to work for your Dad, and Thank them for the opportunity to work for them, however note the fact that you feel that you were maltreated and note that the general experience was overall not a positive one...

Tell them a few of your bad experiences, but don't throw it in their face and tell them to go jump, tell them seriously, that for the security of their business (a front for getting your own maltreatment across without being an arsehole or 'burning your bridges') they need to address some of the issues that you were subject to.

Hope that helps Andrew.

Hamish

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
That's very true, but what's got me stuffed is just how many managers are useless as tits on a bull!

Because contrary to popular opinion, it's often a difficult job. Great tradesmen are often lousy managers and visa versa.

Reaper

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Because contrary to popular opinion, it's often a difficult job. Great tradesmen are often lousy managers and visa versa.

Reaper

Yeah i've been in the position before. At stupid age I might add. But I could handle it.
ALLOT of people can't and yet manage to keep the positions for eons it seems.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It really varies from workplace to workplace, and even employee to employee. I know there are (more than) a few over the years that think I'm an out and out bastard and that includes a few were I am right now. On the other hand there are hundreds who will argue otherwise. At times the individual has not really deserved what he got but was in a toxic work culture which had to be changed. Unfortunately there are a few unintended casualties when that happens but it can't be helped. That's not to say I enjoyed the process either.

i understand that, but when you have a good manager you can have a dis-agreement but the next day it's forgotten and we all get on with it. my manager holds grudges going back more then 10 years. i got called into the office a few years ago when they were complaining i had used to many sick days (i hadn't used all the days i was entitled to) and when i had the cheek to reply he started bring up stuff from the last time i was employed by the same company but i was working in a different department and in reality he had no idea about what went on

The part in bold is exactly right and ultimately it is management's responsibility to achieve a productive (safe and profitable amongst others) work environment. It's senior management's responsibility to oversee the middle and front line managers to make sure they are performing adequately - if the manager is the issue then changes should be made so in reality it's a reflection of everybody above the problem if their performance is sub-par.

We have been though multiple senior management changes, unfortunately my manager just seems to stick around like **** on a blanket. although there aren't many that actually like him from other departments and he would be considered to be the rotten apple in the bunch

i have no issues if management was tough as long as they are fair, that is however not the case. we have some staff that get away with murder and others can make the smallest of mistakes and get hauled into the office and reprimanded or given warnings. that gives me the shits and i tend to say something if i see it happening. there are many staff that will come to me for advice before approaching the union rep for help, that does however paint a target on my back. many have suggested that i should be the union rep in our department and although i am a union member i don't particularly like the union practices and the back room dealing that seems to go on

Reaper

isn't it funny though how often poor quality tradesman are promoted into higher positions.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Well, here goes my 2c

some of the things they’ve said to us.
- we shouldnt be in the toilet so long
if it takes me an hour to push out a nugget the size of my finger nail, im'a take that hour. cause shittin is in the top 3 things i like to do.

An hour to go to the shitter? Come on man, that's rediculous....Why not wait 50 minutes till you're ready for a ****, then go? That's an hour of your day gone, which you're getting paid for, to sit down and do nothing. Totally agree with your boss on that one!

- i shouldnt be talking to matt (other employee i work with)
hes the only other guy i work with. the way they made it sound, it was like i slashed a disabled persons tyres on his wheel chair. from a 2-5 min convo about what he got up to on the w.e

Talking while working is fine IMO, but if you are sitting/standing around chatting for half an hour and not working that's unacceptable.

- you should go to toilet on ur lunch break, eat on ur lunch break, make any personal phone calls on ur lunch break and do any personal things on ur lunch break.

You go to the toilet when you need to, not at a certain time of day. (aslong as it doesn't take an hour)

Eat on your lunch break? Ofcoarse you should, that's why it's called a lunch break....

You should make personal calls in your own time, why should your boss pay you to make non work related calls? Same goes for anything else non work related

im going to let chris rock do this one:
A half-hour lunch break? By the time you put on your jacket, walk around the corner, go to the sandwich spot, order a sandwich, wait for them to make it, then get on another line to pay for it, 28 minutes have passed. Now you rushing back to work, you're eating your sandwich, you're spilling beer down your shirt. And when you get in, your boss got the nerve to go, 'hey, man, you're eight
minutes' F**K YOU! 'do you realize even criminals in jail get a hour lunch break?'

-we should be at work 15 mins early
I get asked why im 2 mins late back from lunch but they expect me to start 15 mins early?

15 minutes early is a bit steep, as long as you are there by the time you're to start work there should be no problems (provided you start work and not stand around chatting/having a coffee for 15 minutes.

Even thought they are the boss, i feel double standards. Like they recently got a guy in and blocked all the websites we’d been on. For some it was facebook, youtube etc. i had hotmail running while i worked, it didn’t effect me having it on. I always had my work done on time, and only looked when i had a free min or two. So to block it really pissed me off. but i lost my **** when i walk past the bosses office and the fkn bitch is on skype and facebook.

Again, I don't see why you would need to be on personal internet sites during work hours? You're getting paid to work, not talk to all your friends about your weekend....

As for the boss doing what he wants, that's his/her choice, they're the boss, you're the worker. My boss comes as goes as he pleases, what's it got to do with me what he does with his time? As long as things in the business are done and I'm paid every week, where's the problem?

matt kissed one of the girls on the head, It was joke. She saw it and called him into her office, and told him off and gave him the sexual harassment speech even though the girl he did it too loved it and was fine with it. But its ok for her husband to write a text to her saying ‘you’ve been putting things in your mouth you shouldn’t be :)’ after she had tonsillitis.

In these days of sexual harassment claims being normal practice, i can probably see the bosses point of view. However, if the girl concerned had no problem with it, then there is no harm in a little bit of a joke.

But this took the fkn cake for me. My boss is heavy set guy, i walk into the office and everyone is around him layin on the ground. Im like whats the go here? Boss ‘YOUR LATE!’ like is this c**t serious WTF? im early? Me and a delivery driver sit him up, and he goes ‘I WAS DOING UR JOB! AND ROLLED MY ANKLE’ im like ye watever. this is the 3rd time ive seen him fall over at work, hes blames everyone/thing other than the fact that hes that heavy his ankles collapse from under him.

Not your problem your boss is fat and can't stand up :p

Theres been alot of other things but im not going to list.

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I just came up with a new method of posting... Wait until someone I agree with posts in a diplomatic way, and then say I agree with them.

:D

I agree with all the points Blown V6 Hatch made! :)