Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying SV6 Sportswagon Ve II or VF what's the difference?

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Hi All,

As the title suggests, after an SV6 Wagon and deciding between VE II or VF.
I've owned many commdores and the latest was a VE Calais. I understand the VF of course is the better car but I can get a good VE II for $17k with low kms or a VF for $23k with medium kms. Apart from the interior and exterior cosmetic differences are there many differences that would make my decision easier? I heard the VF had changes to the flywheel and also revised gearbox shifts (I didn't love the auto in my VE Calais). Still is it worth forking out an extra $6k to have these improvements? I'm buying th car as a family hauler but also something I can enjoy driving. I currently have a 2012 Territory and whilst it's a good car I have to offload it as it's a workcar and I won't buy another one as it's about boring and also the upkeep is expensive (bush replacements every few years are a killer).

Any help from someone who has owned a VE II SV6 or VF SV6 would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Bear in mind if you buy the VF with that $6K extra cost, you'll get some of that back when you sell down the track, so all is not lost. I think when it comes to an SV6 (and any other car as well) that lower Kms and a really good service record would be my buying priority, and given VF is the newer car, it's the logical choice. There have been a number of threads relating to dead VE V6 engines and of course timing chain problems as well, probably servicing related for a number of these, you can reasonably expect to get better service life out of the newer car.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Interior is the main standout with the VF especially if you decided on the Sv6 black edition. I chose my series 1 redline over a HSV e3 R8 VE. Interior is way superior which sold it for me... ☺

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi All,

As the title suggests, after an SV6 Wagon and deciding between VE II or VF.
I've owned many commdores and the latest was a VE Calais. I understand the VF of course is the better car but I can get a good VE II for $17k with low kms or a VF for $23k with medium kms. Apart from the interior and exterior cosmetic differences are there many differences that would make my decision easier? I heard the VF had changes to the flywheel and also revised gearbox shifts (I didn't love the auto in my VE Calais). Still is it worth forking out an extra $6k to have these improvements? I'm buying th car as a family hauler but also something I can enjoy driving. I currently have a 2012 Territory and whilst it's a good car I have to offload it as it's a workcar and I won't buy another one as it's about boring and also the upkeep is expensive (bush replacements every few years are a killer).

Any help from someone who has owned a VE II SV6 or VF SV6 would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

1. If price is an issue for you that should guide you in large part.

2. Compare apples with apples when comparing prices. Look at a low km VE compared with the price of a VF with very close low kms and is in the same overall used condition.

3. A major difference with the VFs apart from the obvious is the electric motor used to provide the power assistance compared with the traditional hydraulic system used in all the previous models with the PS pump providing the assistance.

4. The VFs have not been without their issues as you can see from the VF forum and that includes some owners that have had problems with the electric PS system. I have also noticed quite a few people in various threads complaining about issues with the aircon in their VFs. This is something I would be checking carefully if buying one of these.
This thread must be something of a record in length for it's type and there are numerous others.........
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-holden-commodore-issues-and-faults.219460/

5. I don't know what your problem is with the VE auto because the unit in my 2012 series 2 is just fine. The references you make to timing chain issues relates to the older alloytec V6 engines which were not fitted to the series 2 cars. I would suggest that those few that have had issues with the later sidi V6 relate far more to problem owners and poor maintenance than anything else. But with any mass produced item you can always find an occasional failure that slips past quality control.

6. Both the VEs and VFs will be obsolete models in a few months time when GM closes the manufacturing plant.

7. Right now when comparing like with like (kms and condition) the VEs offer very good value due to it being an out of date model, older in years and suffering greater depreciation. You can still pick up very low km VE series 2 cars although the Wagons are much fewer than the sedans.
If you can get a low KM VE series 2 wagon in very good condition that is what I would be going for if price is an issue for you because, despite the later VF, they are still very good cars. The sidi V6 is a very good engine and is the same V6 engine you are going to get in the VF .
If money is not an issue then I would definitely look for a very low KM VF in "as new" condition because they are good looking wagons and you will have the latest model Aust. built Commodore.

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Would suggest if you haven't already that you drive both and see which you prefer. Generally people either love or hate the electric steering, electric handbrake etc on the VF. There have been a lot of complaints about the climate control in the VF. The VF generally has more bling and a nicer looking interior although it may not last as well as the VE (fake suede etc). Exterior design is also a matter of personal preference. It probably comes down to finding the best car you can for your budget rather than whether the VE or VF is better.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I would just add that if was going to spend somewhere in the region of $20,000 on an SV6 that I would aim for the engine to be an LFX and not the earlier LLT. It mightn't make any difference at the time you buy, but if you find yourself in the position of needing a replacement engine down the track, the LFX's should be the better replacement prospect being used in MY2012 VE II upwards, right up to the end of production in October.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Would suggest if you haven't already that you drive both and see which you prefer. Generally people either love or hate the electric steering, electric handbrake etc on the VF. There have been a lot of complaints about the climate control in the VF. The VF generally has more bling and a nicer looking interior although it may not last as well as the VE (fake suede etc). Exterior design is also a matter of personal preference. It probably comes down to finding the best car you can for your budget rather than whether the VE or VF is better.
"Fake suede", usually the Alcantara brand, is generally used instead of real suede because it lasts longer.
Also costs more than real suede!
The raw plastic in the VE would undoubtedly last longer though.

I actually think a valid summary is that the VE2 is a more expensively made car, but looks & feels cheaper.
I personally think the VE is a more pure design on the outside, VF looks like it was melted to make it fit in with the same model-range as a Malibu.
Inside though, VF is 2012 whereas VE is a cheap version of 1998-or-so. But is that as important as comfort, longevity & reliability?