Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam Surge

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Nope asked for a ride along drive but covid was an issue at the time. Haven’t touched the issue again since then just living with it atm and working around it hopefully nothing breaks.
Still jerks back n fourth on light throttle on flat road and coasting downhill 75-100 doesn’t do it under load up hill. Also does it when letting engine engine braking around 80kmh.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Buy an MPI2 from HP Tuners and we'll fix it with a bit of back and forward on this forum.
I think a lot of these supposedly "good tuners" don't really have a sufficient understanding of the system to make the right adjustments suitable for camshaft drivability. I've never driven an LS engine car with a reasonable sized camshaft that runs properly from the better named tuners around our way and most have similar symptoms the OP's describing. We've remedied a couple of modified 6 Litre VE's with a Motec M150 ECU disproving the engine characteristic excuse for poor drivability given by some of these tuners.

I've run a few on the dyno in troublesome areas and they're as lean a hell down low and on transient throttle reaching 1.15 lambda in some cases where ideally the air/fuel ratio needs to be at least 0.98 lambda or richer to have any chance of running properly. A heap of timing scatter at constant light throttle is another thing I've discovered on data logging that isn't right and I'm sure could be remedied with better adjustment.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think a lot of these supposedly "good tuners" don't really have a sufficient understanding of the system to make the right adjustments suitable for camshaft drivability. I've never driven an LS engine car with a reasonable sized camshaft that runs properly from the better named tuners around our way and most have similar symptoms the OP's describing. We've remedied a couple of modified 6 Litre VE's with a Motec M150 ECU disproving the engine characteristic excuse for poor drivability given by some of these tuners.
I think most tuners are probably ok at getting turbo ricers running ok. But an LS is not an easy car to tune and get right, hence why there are plenty of cammed LS that are dogs to drive in the 1200 - 1900 range. Tas is shocking, as is a lot of Melbourne tuners, they just can't get the low rev range right. I have asked around and here we have places that claim they can do the job, and those same places have good reviews, but they also have bad reviews. I am hoping the one bloke I have found in Tas who only has good reports can get it right. He owns an LS ,and admits himself even a mild cam on an LS won't work as well in the <1100 like the stock cam will. I'm looking for an improvement on mine, not a miracle.....

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i would not trust anyone with my car, the performance industry has exploded with get rich quick workshops, all self taught and learning turning on costumers cars and not interested in problems after they have your doe
its not that some turners dont want to correct engine running problems for costumers cars , its they dont know how
sure they can tune an engine wide open throttle on a car and run 9s
its been going on for a long time, be carefull where you take your car

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
short answer is yes... ;)
Long answer?

$20k in engine rebuilds through learning what not to do:p:p:p

Guess there is hugely accessible knowledge base through the HPtune forums. But could it still be a case of knowing enough to be dangerous but not enough to be safe :rolleyes: I’m all for self learning and sharing info :cool:

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Nah, you'll be to scared of f@cking the engine to do anything silly.

The true cost is below:

MPVI2+ $649 https://vcmstore.com.au/products/hp-tuners-mpvi-2plus
Tuning credits minimum 2 required. This will get you access to your ECM and TCM tunes. If tuning fuel pump module an additional 1 credit is required. $152 https://vcmstore.com.au/products/hp-tuners-mpvi1
HP Tuners software $0 https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/
AEM OBDII Piggy back wideband $380 https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/x-series-wideband-uego-afr-gauge-w-obdii-connectiv~614427
Wideband bung installation $80 (or free if doing it yourself)

Total $1,260

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Long answer as hjturbo pointed out a wideband is a must, then many many hours of research. You would have to be pretty foolish to blow something up but it's not impossible. It is actually addictive after a while I am forever tinkering with the tune, drives the Mrs nuts!.