Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam upgrade for my AUTO 2006 VE SSV L98 Engine

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
HI,
Got another quiz, how can some people pull their ss as hard as rpm to 7000rpm?..

its all in the tune and you don't need an aftermarket cam to spin that high

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Depends what cam and other mods you do RE engine RPM. Different cams will make power in different places of the rev range. For daily driving an auto your need will be different cam to mine, for example. (Manual, take it to the track infrequently) However, I rev mine to 6500 @ the racetrack no worries. Let us know how the upgrade goes!

HI,
Thanks for the answering my question..
Yes.. i spoke one of the guy, and he suggested me tat 2 get a bigger cam will b better as it gain more power....

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
HI,
Thanks for the answering my question..
Yes.. i spoke one of the guy, and he suggested me tat 2 get a bigger cam will b better as it gain more power....

A bigger cam can also make a pig of a daily driver......no point driving your car at 6000rpm all day just because of your cam.

Bl0ck5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 6.0 V8
Would a 224/230 cam with a 2800 stall make good power and drive well for a dailey??

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Yes it will but I think there's more power and more drivability to be had with the new LSL lobed cams over that one (xer lobe)

273Lr HR12 is 223/231 with over .600 lift and will work well with your heads and stall

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
I have a daily driver 2006 SSV A6 with 233/238 0.612/0.604 113LSA, no stall converter, idles at 750rpm and goes great. Needs to be warmed up for 30-60seconds when cold but other than that it starts awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGotmbg3sCQ

p.s. don't expect any sane fuel economy around town!!! Highway cruising is very economical though.

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I have a daily driver 2006 SSV A6 with 233/238 0.612/0.604 113LSA, no stall converter, idles at 750rpm and goes great. Needs to be warmed up for 30-60seconds when cold but other than that it starts awesome. VE SSV 328rwkw Start n Idle - YouTube

p.s. don't expect any sane fuel economy around town!!! Highway cruising is very economical though.

Mate,

Just checked ur video, is it because of you dont have stall converter so its sluggish before 3000rpm...and after it then power kick in.

Crissosways pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
I reckon thats great price I went to 1 place in Adelaide asked for a cam package price the guy informed me if the engine had done over 150k he would only do it if I did the big end bearings as well as high mileage bearings have more chance of failure with big cam package the cost would be around the 10k area

H

harrop.senator

Prices have changed a bit in ten years. Plus engine bearings and cam install you'd usually pull the entire motor out. Apart from the pistons , rings and rods it's just shy of a full rebuild.

Cam install is just heads and timing cover off block stays in car in intact.