Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

capped schedule services

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think the 'capped price servicing' finished at 60k.
According to the doc I linked, capped price servicing for VF goes to 63 months or 105,000 kms ;)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
According to the doc I linked, capped price servicing for VF goes to 63 months or 105,000 kms ;)

I didn't read your doc, the paperwork I received with the Magnum stated capped price servicing was for 3 years or 60k kms.
I had the 60k service done at 55,400kms and the service manager told me it was the last capped price service.

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Just checked and you are right. Different cost for the same job. No idea why. You will find that independent mechanics will charge about $250 for that

In terms of what it really should costs ... it' about $100 for good oil oil $25 for oil filter and a few bucks for drain plug washer... + 1/2 labour... which generaly about $100 ish per hour...
You forgot " The Shop Supplies " there big fella, they can add up to a few bucks.:eek:

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
I Double checked my service book and there is some deference’s in some of the schedule services but not a hell of a lot ,time to find a good mechanic I think
Cheers

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VYII 3.8 Executive - MY11 VEII 3.6 Calais VV6
I'll probably get ripped a new one for this... I use a good full synth oil, good filter & only change every 10K regardless of date/timing.

Here's a 'standard' 75K service
  • Replace engine oil and filter
  • Rotate tires
  • Visually inspect front and rear brakes; Check pads and discs for wear
  • Visually inspect calipers for leaks
  • Visually inspect wheel cylinders for leaks
  • Visually inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and rack boots
  • Visually inspect suspension components for damage; Check ball joints for deterioration and damage
  • Visually inspect driveshaft boots for cracks, and check boot bands for tightness
  • Lubricate all locks, latches, and hinges
  • Check parking brake adjustment
  • Visually inspect brake hoses and lines; Check the master cylinder, proportioning control valve, and ABS modulator for damage and leakage
  • Visually check all fluid levels, condition of fluids
  • Visually inspect cooling system hoses and connections for damage, leaks, and deterioration
  • Visually inspect exhaust system (catalytic converter heat shield, exhaust pipe, and muffler)
  • Visually inspect fuel lines and connections for looseness, cracks, deterioration, and leaks
  • Check operation of all lights and controls, check headlight position
  • Inspect the vehicle underbody; Check frame and panels for damage
  • Replace air cleaner
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Complete transmission service
  • Fuel injection service
  • Clean and lube caliper slide pins
    • *Additional Recommended Services
    • Replace dust and pollen filter (2002 & newer)
    • Replace spark plugs (2001 & newer)

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Look here mate, if your car is out of warranty it's a no brainer. Source your oil at any parts store when they throw it out on special, they do half price deals and the Wedge you save is significant. Buy a sump plug washer and oil filter. I always go OEM but up to you.

Ring up Holden or your local trusted mechanic and book it in for an oil change supplying said parts. Holden allow 30 minutes for this job and charge accordingly. Here in Perth it's 140 per hour.

If all you need is an oil change this is a very economical solution. My VF goes in today but not to Holden, it's off to my local guy. If you don't do a lot of miles stuff is very easy. Once a year oil change or 10 K. Thats how i run it.

Cheers.

PS. People always bitch about Holden but you must remember the Business is hugely expensive to run so the plebs get charged top wack for service. It's the way stuff works my friend.

Us little people must game the system to save some hard earned but at the same time ensure our ride is looked after. Buy your own quality parts and then pay people for their labour. Only use quality parts and never try and save money using cheaper parts.

That won't work for you.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It's got to do with the rebate from Holden. I have somewhere what the dealers get from Holden and what the consumer pays. It tapers off as the car gets older. There is a very expensive service coming up as the car gets older too.

I either do my service myself now or get my mechanic. The one in between I change the oil myself. 15k is too long between oil changes.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
15k is too long between oil changes.

Not if you run the car long distance. My oil changes are once-a-year / 15,000km, as specified. I don't drive in the suburbs or in heavy traffic, but the open road. There will be at least two trips to the NT from Victoria before my annual oil change in September. VFs do not need nor will they benefit from over-servicing on perceptions that is better.

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
I didn't read your doc, the paperwork I received with the Magnum stated capped price servicing was for 3 years or 60k kms.
I had the 60k service done at 55,400kms and the service manager told me it was the last capped price service.
no mines 63 months or 105,000
It's got to do with the rebate from Holden. I have somewhere what the dealers get from Holden and what the consumer pays. It tapers off as the car gets older. There is a very expensive service coming up as the car gets older too.

I either do my service myself now or get my mechanic. The one in between I change the oil myself. 15k is too long between oil changes.
yes your right mate went into holden this morning and was told ,the capped price services are calculated over the 63 months or 105,000km and are evened out over that period so to keep it affordable , when it comes to a major service its only $299 instead of $500 to $700 she even said that holden contribute $200 to the major services to keep the price low....they also said i can have the $169 service special but add on $100 for the V8 and then when the major service which i think was 90k km will still be $299 instead of $500 $700,
All good thanks

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
I'll probably get ripped a new one for this... I use a good full synth oil, good filter & only change every 10K regardless of date/timing.

Here's a 'standard' 75K service
  • Replace engine oil and filter
  • Rotate tires
  • Visually inspect front and rear brakes; Check pads and discs for wear
  • Visually inspect calipers for leaks
  • Visually inspect wheel cylinders for leaks
  • Visually inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and rack boots
  • Visually inspect suspension components for damage; Check ball joints for deterioration and damage
  • Visually inspect driveshaft boots for cracks, and check boot bands for tightness
  • Lubricate all locks, latches, and hinges
  • Check parking brake adjustment
  • Visually inspect brake hoses and lines; Check the master cylinder, proportioning control valve, and ABS modulator for damage and leakage
  • Visually check all fluid levels, condition of fluids
  • Visually inspect cooling system hoses and connections for damage, leaks, and deterioration
  • Visually inspect exhaust system (catalytic converter heat shield, exhaust pipe, and muffler)
  • Visually inspect fuel lines and connections for looseness, cracks, deterioration, and leaks
  • Check operation of all lights and controls, check headlight position
  • Inspect the vehicle underbody; Check frame and panels for damage
  • Replace air cleaner
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Complete transmission service
  • Fuel injection service
  • Clean and lube caliper slide pins
    • *Additional Recommended Services
    • Replace dust and pollen filter (2002 & newer)
    • Replace spark plugs (2001 & newer)
i hope you didnt have to write all that out mate , i have that info in my service book coupon ,thanks anyway