Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car stalled on coasting

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Hi all
Issues with my VN 5.0.

Anyway, started up and didn't really let it warm up and about 2 kms from home car stalled on coasting when running smoothly at about 50kms. No traffic behind me so while coasting put in neutral (automatic) and tried to restart...nothing. Anyway, pulled over ,switched off AC and lights and tried to restart, nothing. Cranking is normal just no attempt at ignition. Tried periodically over 20 minutes no good. Just about to ring NRMA and tried once more and it started perfectly. I then continued to drive for around 1 hour and the car runs very smoothly as it has done for a while.

Anyway recently cleaned throttle body and washed washable air filter.

Wondering where to start. 20 years or so ago remember car occaisonly stalled on turns and auto electrician replaced module with VS one I believe from memory...but recall that stalling was when engine was warm. Remember him saying that it should sort the issue but it was trial and error. He claimed no real way to conclusively test intermittent issue from module. Anyway at that time the replacement SH module sorted problem.

How would I test module with possible intermittent issue? Or just replace trial and error. Could fuel pumps be that intermittent? Relay?

Heard modules with intermittent issues don't throw codes, will check.

Obviously the concern is inability to restart for 20 minutes or so.

No other issues lately very smooth running

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've had sudden outs followed by magic restarts intermittently occur when the engine was really hot, as in an hour or so of freeway cruising- after a lot of testing I traced that back to a coil that went faulty when hot.
Maybe the coil can intermittently fail on a warm engine?

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've had sudden outs followed by magic restarts intermittently occur when the engine was really hot, as in an hour or so of freeway cruising- after a lot of testing I traced that back to a coil that went faulty when hot.
Maybe the coil can intermittently fail on a warm engine?
Interesting.

Did it throw codes?

Later last evening at home I started it all good and about 5 minutes into idle it died. Immediately, I tried to restart it no good then it started with an open throttle.......got suspicious about spitfire washable air filter and removed it and it ran for about half an hour. I didn't know because that's how it behaved earlier.

I'm going to check for codes next and install standard paper airfilter maybe even replace swap fuel relay.

But of a worry it's going to leave me stranded in some inconvenient intersection or something so a bit disconcerning.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Oops, took too long to type this.

The symptoms you are experiencing sound like a classic case of the Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor beginning to fail. In my experience, coils either work or they completely don't work. Ignition modules can give you some warning before they fail completely. Probably time for a new distributor as you (normally) get a new cap and rotor as well.
Changing the distributor is a bugger of a job due to the lack of clearance between the inlet manifold and firewall but that's part of the joy? of owning a car. The attached instructions are for a VS, but the VN should be similar.

Attachments

• VR-VS V8 Distributor Remove-Repair-Replace.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 83
  • VR-VS V8 Distributor and Leads.jpg
    VR-VS V8 Distributor and Leads.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 51

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oops, took too long to type this.

The symptoms you are experiencing sound like a classic case of the Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor beginning to fail. In my experience, coils either work or they completely don't work. Ignition modules can give you some warning before they fail completely. Probably time for a new distributor as you (normally) get a new cap and rotor as well.
Changing the distributor is a bugger of a job due to the lack of clearance between the inlet manifold and firewall but that's part of the joy? of owning a car. The attached instructions are for a VS, but the VN should be similar.
Did replace cap and rotor with leads, genuine items 5 years ago(perhaps 10k). Car has done 185kms.. Replaced coil with genuine item(square one) at same time, old coil was cylindrical. Nothing wrong with items then just decided to change them. Still have coil.

Last edited:

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Interesting.

Did it throw codes?

Later last evening at home I started it all good and about 5 minutes into idle it died. Immediately, I tried to restart it no good then it started with an open throttle.......got suspicious about spitfire washable air filter and removed it and it ran for about half an hour. I didn't know because that's how it behaved earlier.

I'm going to check for codes next and install standard paper airfilter maybe even replace swap fuel relay.

But of a worry it's going to leave me stranded in some inconvenient intersection or something so a bit disconcerning.
No codes. But if it was a coil problem throttle position wouldn't affect it.