Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catback installed VFII SSV

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Just installed an Xforce 2.5” catback on my VF II SSV sedan and I’m really happy with it. Installed about half the price quoted from several well known installers for manta (actually just dpe) or other 3” systems.

The sound is deep and has a really nice note, quite sophisticated and sweet, great throb. Seen some comments around various systems and thought I would just add my experience.

For comparison on my previous 2017 car I did have a dpe catback initially which was nice but pricey- eventually a supercharger with full 3” system (not dpe) which while functional certainly attracted attention, mostly negative.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I know the Exhaust Gods will rain fire and brimstone down on me but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with XForce, they make just as good power as the other brands and there is only a minor fluctuation of outputs across the brands anyway.

I've heard some good sounding ones and when it comes down to how we hear sounds differently who to tell us any different and they are available at a reasonable price point.

I've tried them all over and over and I'd never put XForce down for the price alone.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I know the Exhaust Gods will rain fire and brimstone down on me but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with XForce, they make just as good power as the other brands and there is only a minor fluctuation of outputs across the brands anyway.

I've heard some good sounding ones and when it comes down to how we hear sounds differently who to tell us any different and they are available at a reasonable price point.

I've tried them all over and over and I'd never put XForce down for the price alone.

I’ve got a x force 3 inch stainless system on my ve ss and Im not really that impressed with the sound of it but as you say it’s all subjective what sounds **** to one person sounds great to another, build quality etc on the x force seems to be decent enough, as long as old mate is happy with what he’s got thats all that really matters

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I'm not a fan of my 3" Xforce.

What something sounds like is really subjective to the listener, and to me the sound is a bit too tinny and not deep enough.
I may try different mufflers and see if that gets me closer to what I want.

If the OP is happy with their system, that's all that really matters.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I'm not a fan of my 3" Xforce.

What something sounds like is really subjective to the listener, and to me the sound is a bit too tinny and not deep enough.
I may try different mufflers and see if that gets me closer to what I want.

If the OP is happy with their system, that's all that really matters.
I‘ve heard cutting the x pipe out and put an h pipe in its place improves the sound

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I‘ve heard cutting the x pipe out and put an h pipe in its place improves the sound

I heard that from one of the JC members too. Also heard that running it in true dual mode without a balance pipe gives it more of the old 5L sound. I'd prefer that sound.

I've heard the xforce mufflers aren't the best in terms of what material they're packed with. Can't remember, but a denser material gives a better deeper sound?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I heard that from one of the JC members too. Also heard that running it in true dual mode without a balance pipe gives it more of the old 5L sound. I'd prefer that sound.

I've heard the xforce mufflers aren't the best in terms of what material they're packed with. Can't remember, but a denser material gives a better deeper sound?
I Don’t know about that one personally mate

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute

A balance pipe H or X isn't essential and a road car exhaust, makes no power difference in fact, some poorly fabricated X-pipes reduce power as they're too restrictive. X-pipes virtually turn the exhaust note into a single system note high pitched on the top end like a V8 Supercar note. Full dual sounds more like a Sprint car, and an H-pipe lessens the clap or machine gun sound.

Long haired fibreglass makes the best note and next is stainless wool packing but it's a bit louder. Dense packing, like rockwool or fibre mat tends to be a bit raspy like the Xforce muffler note.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
A balance pipe H or X isn't essential and a road car exhaust, makes no power difference in fact, some poorly fabricated X-pipes reduce power as they're too restrictive. X-pipes virtually turn the exhaust note into a single system note high pitched on the top end like a V8 Supercar note. Full dual sounds more like a Sprint car, and an H-pipe lessens the clap or machine gun sound.

Long haired fibreglass makes the best note and next is stainless wool packing but it's a bit louder. Dense packing, like rockwool or fibre mat tends to be a bit raspy like the Xforce muffler note.

Thanks RevNev.
What do you recommend I do to give me a deeper more old school v8 sound?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks RevNev.
What do you recommend I do to give me a deeper more old school v8 sound?
Here's a LS3 full dual exhaust. I wouldn't say the muffler note is great, but it's good impression of how they sound with no X or H-pipe.