Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catback installed VFII SSV

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Here's a LS3 full dual exhaust. I wouldn't say the muffler note is great, but it's good impression of how they sound with no X or H-pipe.

I don't mind it.
Who makes the long haired fibreglass mufflers that would suit my exforce 3" exhaust?
Do you know what material is inside the DPE/Manta mufflers?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Who makes the long haired fibreglass mufflers that would suit my exforce 3" exhaust?
Do you know what material is inside the DPE/Manta mufflers?
I don't know unfortunately. I believe all the aftermarket rear mufflers are too small and I've made my own using the stock muffler cannisters. I cut the bimodals open and modified them with perforated tube and fibreglass packing for my SSVR Ute.

20210509_234336.jpg
20210530_135024.jpg

Last edited:

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I don't know unfortunately. I believe all the aftermarket rear mufflers are too small and I've made my own using the stock muffler cannisters. I cut the bimodals open and modified them with perforated tube and fibreglass packing for my SSVR Ute.

View attachment 246083View attachment 246084

That's some high quality work there, RevNev.
Have you got a video of what your car sounds like with your mufflers fitted?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Have you got a video of what your car sounds like with your mufflers fitted?

Here's a pretty raw video of a quick squirt down a backroad. The rest of the exhaust is HSV 340 headers, Maloo midpipe with a reworked X-pipe and custom 2.5" resonators to replace the 2.25" hotdogs.

20210824_230321 (2).jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Here's a pretty raw video of a quick squirt down a backroad. The rest of the exhaust is HSV 340 headers, Maloo midpipe with a reworked X-pipe and custom 2.5" resonators to replace the 2.25" hotdogs.

View attachment 246112
Nice sound!
Is the x pipe welded up, as in not connected?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

View attachment 246083View attachment 246084
Do you have any pics of the muffler internals when you were doing your mods?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
s the x pipe welded up, as in not connected?
No, the X-pipe is two 15-degree merge collectors welded together with a 1 7/8" transfer slot and makes more of an H-pipe sound. When the transfer is too big, or the exhaust joins together for too long a distance, it's then virtually a single exhaust setup and note with minimal separation or V8 thump. Here's the sound with the stock Maloo large X midpipe and almost sounds like an inline 6 cylinder.

Reactions: Lex

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
No, the X-pipe is two 15-degree merge collectors welded together with a 1 7/8" transfer slot and makes more of an H-pipe sound. When the transfer is too big, or the exhaust joins together for too long a distance, it's then virtually a single exhaust setup and note with minimal separation or V8 thump. Here's the sound with the stock Maloo large X midpipe and almost sounds like an inline 6 cylinder.

I can hear exactly what you mean. So first port of call is to either delete the x-pipe of go with a h pipe set up. I'll see what the exhaust joint says.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I can hear exactly what you mean. So first port of call is to either delete the x-pipe of go with a h pipe set up. I'll see what the exhaust joint says.
Yes, if you like the separation sound or V8 thump, an H-pipe is best. I would avoid X-pipes entirely or try it true dual.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Yes, if you like the separation sound or V8 thump, an H-pipe is best. I would avoid X-pipes entirely or try it true dual.
Have you experimented with no merge at all?

Does it get too “thong clappy”?