Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change S/plugs

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I asked my regular service mech to change the plugs and coils for that reason, he asked if it was hard to start, fuel economy down, running rough or missing ……………. no, to all counts. His advice was to leave it until something like those things started to happen. 15Km later, still no problems.
Others may not agree with this.
Drive it into the ground ? How long do you plan on keeping the car if you plan on driving it for the next 10 years keep up with the service schedule if not do as figjam says, Ive seen plenty of v6 Ve's that need tyres brakes running like **** with 160k's on them that eat near $3k to get roadworthy and running nice .
Does firing worn out plugs decrease the life of the coil? The 1 ve I did change the plugs at 120k is still running well on the original coils at 180k km but the old bloke loves it , it still looks brand new so we know how hard he drives it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Drive it into the ground ? Far from it, old mate. My HJ wagon was well into the 350Km+ range and 30 years old before it succumbed to terminal rust, not mechanical failure.
My Cross6 gets oil/filter every 5-6KM, brake fluid changed every 2 years, radiator coolant 2 years, just had the rear brake pads replaced and discs skimmed, and I could on about doing other preventative maintenance on it, rather than waiting for something to fall off and wondering about what happened.
As an old bloke who loves his cars, my days of frigging with cars myself are in the past. Plugs/coils are not a cheap job to pay some-one else to do, especially when not needed at the time.
If the OP wants to do his own plug change, great. I was just putting it there that it may not be necessary.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My Cross6 gets oil/filter every 5-6KM, brake fluid changed every 2 years, radiator coolant 2 years, just had the rear brake pads replaced and discs skimmed, and I could on about doing other preventative maintenance on it, rather than waiting for something to fall off and wondering about what happened.

Bit of double dutch buddy.....You first say, "he asked if it was hard to start, fuel economy down, running rough or missing", then followed up by this above quote

Preventative maintenance is, replace parts before problems like this occur, not wait for the problems to occur, then attend to them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If they have done 120k I'd be replacing them regardless. They have well and truly reached their use by date, even for Iridiums. Personally I'd be changing them at 90-100k, we all know what late Holden service schedule recommendations are like.....

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
If they have done 120k I'd be replacing them regardless. They have well and truly reached their use by date, even for Iridiums. Personally I'd be changing them at 90-100k, we all know what late Holden service schedule recommendations are like.....
I might replace mine in the coming weeks and clean the tb , car has done 103,000 Kay's but have started to have a very slight miss

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s an easy task. Mufudzi has a good video.

It takes minutes to remove and changing the coils an plugs is just as easy. I prefer doing this on a VE to doing them on my old VP. (Especially that plug near the steering column at the back)

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
It’s an easy task. Mufudzi has a good video.

It takes minutes to remove and changing the coils an plugs is just as easy. I prefer doing this on a VE to doing them on my old VP. (Especially that plug near the steering column at the back)
An excellent video....it shows that last bolt on the right hand side that I was not aware of....and also you can swing the manifold to gain access to the switch on the back....excellent....the good thing about the VF SV6 is that you can gain access to the S/Plugs without removing any thing....the manifold is a plastic type material and sits within the confines of the S/Plugs.....marvellous.....Just completed a 7500km trip to the top end and the gulf country last year....and the VF SV6 performed without a hitch...the only catch was E10 was $2.45 a litre at Ayers Rock ( visitors price ) !@#$%^&....and the temperature was 38C in the N.T. and the gulf country....see photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited: