Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the battrty in a VT commodore key - help

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
ill solder it in n see if it makes a difference but i dont see how itll help as the negative/poitive prongs are already touching the battery..

also the key wont unlock the door, could that be because i dead locked it (double locked) or maybe the ignitions been changed?

either way ill try with solder if not i guess ill have to call a lock smith.
If it has been deadlocked the key should still unlock it but you will need to turn the key very hard, providing it is the right key of course.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
My VY has 150,000 k on it and the car and the keys are 9 years old this october and one of them still unlocks the car from around ten metres away. The other one is playing up with unlocking/starting but I put a new battery in it and it still plays up.
Having the battery out won't cause it to 'lose it's memory' as someone said above.
I have had both my keys apart to stick a bit of foil here and there and to slide the slip key fob back out a bit, but nine years aint bad, eh?

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
My VT when I sold it was 13 years old and the previous owner must have used the first set of keys until the batteries died, as the second set was in pretty OK shape until about 18 months into my ownership Lol.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
the idea of the solder is that its a permanent connection

if you use glue and foam packing you're gonna be calling yourself stupid if it stuffs up at 2am in the pouring rain when you're trying to get home from a party or some ****

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
the idea of the solder is that its a permanent connection

if you use glue and foam packing you're gonna be calling yourself stupid if it stuffs up at 2am in the pouring rain when you're trying to get home from a party or some ****

I agree.

However if does stuff up, then be manually able to open and start.

I tried using the solder i had and it would not stick to the battery, even tried sanding the battery with wet/dry to get a coarse surface and no go. Maybe using wrong solder. i dunno

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
You can solder it but its not easy, they are actually spot welded in originally, to do it you gotta scratch some of the shiny surface off first but even then its difficult to get solder to take, and you have to be real quick if you heat the guts of the battery too much it stuffs it, hold the battery with a pair of pliers as close to where you want to solder as possible to conduct the heat away.

Ive done it before and found the easiest way for me was to solder a couple of little wires to the battery top and bottom first then coat the whole thing in silicon to insulate it, then carefully trim most of the original tabs that were welded to the battery away from the circuit board just leaving enough to solder the new little battery wires to, you can then solder these without the battery being in the way. Then stick the battery to the board with a little blob of silicon.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if you insist then buy CR2032 with solder tabs

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
or better still buy a new remote so you have 5 years of trouble free operation

As above dont be a tight a$$ and just buy a new one :)

Dazz

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
As above dont be a tight a$$ and just buy a new one :)\nDazz
Some of us can't afford upwards of $100 for a new key.
I have scottish blood in me, so if I can 'doctor' the key and get more use out of it, I will........