Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap/Free Mods for VX Commodores

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
well i just painted my brake calipers, to bad i dont have alloys lololol ah well

mate how did you paint them, you just spray em or..?

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
mate how did you paint them, you just spray em or..?

yea, just bought some caliper paint from supercheap auto, jacked thee car up on one side with two jacks.

- removed wheels
- unscrwed caliper and got rid of the rust with steel wool and some turps
- covered everything else up
- 5 coats i did of each allowing 5 minutes to dry per coat.
- dont put your handbreak on for another 24 hours or it will ruin it somehow (what i read)

rbk_212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS M6
If you could get a 25% fuel saving by using a different air filter, rest assured, Holden would have supplied one. Thats like those rotor things they put into the air systems too.. if they really had a benefit, the manufacturer would fit it. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars looking for small benefits in economy and power... its in their own interest to come up with the best they can as its a huge selling point.

If you got a 25% fuel saving by fitting a new air filter, then your old filter was not allowing enough air through, and any new filter would have made the same difference.

Chevy badges look good on Chevy V8 Commodores. They don't belong on V6s. The same as Turbo badges don't belong on naturally aspirated cars.. If you cant tell the truth with your badges, then do as I do and just have no badges at all, keep em guessing lol.. the only badge on my car is the Holden Lion on the boot. If it had a Chevy V8, I would replace that for a Chev badge.

To the O.P .. just clean your car regularly and well, and it will already look better than most. Don't buy a bunch of cheap crap to dress it up with.. save ALL of the cash and buy good stuff that you actually want, when you can afford it.

Okay for starters, the alloy v8s in commodores arent chevy engines theyre a GM engine found in many brands of General Motors and by your logic you should put a Buick badge on your v6 coz that engine isnt made or designed by Holden

Chevy badges are lame, no ones driving a chevy, its a holden commodore. period.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
^^^ agreed.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The alloy V8s fitted into current Commodores are a generic GM engine I guess, but many earlier Commodores had Chev V8s.

The Buick V6 has changed ownership multiple times and was even at one point an AMC engine. GM sold the tooling to AMC and later negotiated to buy it back. Since AMC was later bought by Renault, and then Chrysler, maybe I could call it a Renault Supersports? Or maybe I could put a Valiant badge on my Berlina? Then I could paint it purple lol......

By the way, I clearly said I don't approve of any badges that aren't honest, and I also think Chev badges are lame, we drive Holdens, not Chevs, I totally agree.

There are such things as Commodores with Chevy V8s though and if someone wants to display that, who am I to object? I would like to change one line though.. "If it had a Chevy V8, I would replace that for a Chev badge." to "If it had a Chevy V8, I could replace that for a Chev badge... but wouldn't.. " :D

Its not necessarily a Holden Commodore either if you want to be pedantic. Early Berlina and Calais models were called Commodore Berlina and Commodore Calais. Later models dropped the Commodore part, so by YOUR logic (and by my compliance plate) my car is NOT a Commodore... its a Holden Berlina. period.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer

rbk_212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS M6
The alloy V8s fitted into current Commodores are a generic GM engine I guess, but many earlier Commodores had Chev V8s.

The Buick V6 has changed ownership multiple times and was even at one point an AMC engine. GM sold the tooling to AMC and later negotiated to buy it back. Since AMC was later bought by Renault, and then Chrysler, maybe I could call it a Renault Supersports? Or maybe I could put a Valiant badge on my Berlina? Then I could paint it purple lol......

By the way, I clearly said I don't approve of any badges that aren't honest, and I also think Chev badges are lame, we drive Holdens, not Chevs, I totally agree.

There are such things as Commodores with Chevy V8s though and if someone wants to display that, who am I to object? I would like to change one line though.. "If it had a Chevy V8, I would replace that for a Chev badge." to "If it had a Chevy V8, I could replace that for a Chev badge... but wouldn't.. " :D

Its not necessarily a Holden Commodore either if you want to be pedantic. Early Berlina and Calais models were called Commodore Berlina and Commodore Calais. Later models dropped the Commodore part, so by YOUR logic (and by my compliance plate) my car is NOT a Commodore... its a Holden Berlina. period.

haha fair point my friend!

But you gotta admit most people with Chev badges are running the standard LS series of engine that all other factory holdens are running and they are nearly exclusively late model variants not early ones so you see my frustration.

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Btw, pods are only illegal if they are not in a factory airbox.
Oh **** I have one in a non factory airbox.. Is that bad?

If your looking for another good cheap mod, try vacuum cleaning the floor mats a few times.. or maybe wash it.
Zapp

Last edited: