Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Christ, tonight is just gut-wrenching. They've already built the last ones.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
i always thought holden would be around making cars, never dreamed they would close down manufacturing.
our pollies need to be strung up , they always put other countries interest first before ours.
thats the end of holden for me, what a waste, holdens production lines , presses, robotics will be snapped up and put to use in asia.
and the government complains the welfare bill is to high. i wounder why:(:(:(
Don't get me wrong I don't like our pollies and they don't do anywhere enough for this country and its people. But the closing of Holden was all from GM America it would not change this fact no matter how much money or tarrifs and tax cut they gave them GM was stopping us from manufacturing great cars.
The yanks hate the fact we made better V8 cars then they could. So our blame should be at GM and we should not be buying the US crap they want to send us.
Such a sad day we lost a true Aussie in Holden.
I still love- football,meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Its easy to see why there is no more local manufacturing.....

Just go to your local shopping center and play 'spot the aussie car'.
People are not buying enough of the local product.
God I'm driving a Hyundai Tucson in Canada ATM, what a piece of crap, what are these small SUV drivers see.looking fwd to some rwd V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
The Lion sleeps tonight.
For tomorrow and beyond I will drive mine with pride, never forgetting the fact that this country produced some of the best machines. To the men and women who built them: I thank you. I keep a marker in my glove box, so should we ever cross paths I would love your autograph for my engine cover!

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
God I'm driving a Hyundai Tucson in Canada ATM, what a piece of crap, what are these small SUV drivers see.looking fwd to some rwd V8
I just did 3000km in the US in a Hyundai Santa Fe, I could not get back into my Redline quick enough when I got back!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
9069752-3x2-940x627.jpg

gazpep

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Redline auto
A country of 25 million people should be large enough to sustain some motor vehicle manufacturing capability. Sweden has a much smaller population than Australia yet they have a very successful and globally competitive brand in Volvo.
Maybe the government would have been better advised to spend the subsidy dollars buying Holden back from GM and selling the enterprise to local interests and I'm sure that business would have been viable, even for a relatively small market.
I feel fortunate that I have one of the last V8 Commodores and it is incredibly sad that this car will not have a successor, certainly nothing else on the market hits the target points from my point of view.
69 years and it's gone just like that....