Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coilovers on 2014 VF SV6 sedan

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
TEIN is a good brand in terms of build-quality, any probs you’d have would be because they didn’t suit a car (too low a volume for proper R&D?) than due to how it’s made.

Bilstein was the winnar for my Volvo project-car, mostly because you could buy shocks with settings that work with a car of that weight & with that sort of suspension setup (McPherson front & solid coil-sprung rear with Panhard rod). Everything else was an OEM replacement, so didn’t really suit lowering or embiggened spring-rates … OEM is Ohlins, and Ohlins is good gear, but they only offered OEM-spec damping for that model.
They are fully adjustable as far as height and dampening , i just need to take the time and try and tune out the bounce . I have had experience tuning moto cross suspension but not cars.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Unless OP has a reason for changing as in they are worn or he intends to race then why bother. I haven't ridden in a VF but would assume it would being a later model handle better than my VE

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Unless OP has a reason for changing as in they are worn or he intends to race then why bother. I haven't ridden in a VF but would assume it would being a later model handle better than my VE
Mostly its all about aesthetics , i really wasnt keen on the 4x4 look and adjustable coil overs offer a certain amount of adjustability as far as height ect
EDIT : But that doesnt mean someone doesn't want to enhance handling

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
I've removed a few Pedders coil over kits that all had blown seals and leaked the shock fluid out. Pedders wouldn't warrant them
yep that sounds all too familiar

This is what I run in my Ute.
KW are fantastic, but last i checked they were quite a leap up to them
getting into more the custom valving zone there arent you?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
@RevNev do you have any experience with TEIN coilovers , if so how would you rate them. I bought mine without really looking into suspension when i bought them simply because i found it a bit overwhelming with all the information out there. There are setup stiff , but in the wagon it seems to hold it a bit flatter but i feal they do need a bit of a tune, particularly on concrete highway roads at low speeds (bumper to bumper ) traffic it develops a bit of a bounce
No, I've only used KW coil overs on a couple of track cars and Bilstein on a VE Improved Production race car that Supashock modified. On road cars, I prefer the King spring Monroe fitment as the appeal of coil overs for most, is the height adjustment more so than shock performance and function.

What you're describing with the Tein coil overs, is too much spring rate for the shock dampening. Shock valving or adjustment should match a spring rate and if the car is uncomfortably stiff, it needs softer springs and the shocks adjusted to suit best done on a shock dyno. Many soften the shock adjustment for the car to feel more comfortable but then the shock is too soft and can't control the spring.

Ideally, adjustable shock dampening enables you to use different spring rates and retain the same shock without need to re-valve it. Electronic shocks that are switch adjustable use a lot of compression dampening and softer springs for comfort and performance settings. It's ok on a road car but when compression dampening of the shock helps stiffen spring rate, the car will lay over on long corners and doesn't work well on a racetrack.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I've removed a few Pedders coil over kits that all had blown seals and leaked the shock fluid out. Pedders wouldn't warrant them and gave me the impression they were junk and re-fitted the cars with King springs and Monroe's to fix the problem.
i have the pedders on mine, been playing with them a bit to suit the new iron block weight, also earlier ive had the rears leak and replaced with revised shocks, now i have one showing signs of a leak again very minimal at this stage, this is all within about 10k driven (both leaks) and not warranted as im well over the years, i will not be getting them again if this shock starts to leak bad ill get some MCA all round, i also need to go stiffer in the spring all round to suit my style (10kg at moment) but the cost of springs alone is almost 1/3 new mca setup so got some thinking to do

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
need to go stiffer in the spring all round to suit my style (10kg at moment) but the cost of springs alone is almost 1/3 new mca setup so got some thinking to do
If they designed them properly, they should take an ordinary parallel coil over race spring that are cheap and plentiful instead of stepped diameter spring setups unique to a particular shock. It wouldn't be too hard to machine up an aluminum top spring perch to take a parallel spring then you've got a large range of spring lengths and rates to choose from both King Springs and Eibach.