Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coilovers on 2014 VF SV6 sedan

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
shockworks and mca are probably your top tier off the shelf setups for VFs

plenty of people seem to run xyz.

id never touch pedders again after having them in my VE.

really depends what do you want the coilovers for?

This is what I run in my Ute.

https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/KW-35260077-INOX-V3-Coilovers-VF-Commodore-Inc-HSV

https://www.scuderia-autoart.com/p/kw-coilover-inox-v3-holden-commodore-vf/35260077

https://www.prospeedracing.com.au/KW-Suspension-INOX-V3-Coilovers-Holden-Commodore-VF-35260077

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
This is what I run in my Ute.
KW is excellent quality similar to top end Bilstein, Ohlins etc.

What I like about the KW VF kit, is the front strut tyre clearance for negative camber on track cars. Some of these supposed "race kits" have the spring running down past the tyre with minimal clearance for a track car is useless.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Do you have to remove the rear unit to do a rebound adjustment on a ute?

I honestly can’t answer that as I didn’t see the work done.

I do know that the suspension was dropped front and rear to relieve all the stress points caused by lowering it, then tensioned again after the fitment of the coilovers.

It also wasn’t just a drive in and drive out service as such, they had the car and drove it around for a few days while they did adjustments to get it right.

I think the end result is very good, I’ve driven some cars with well tuned suspension over the years and I’m impressed by it.

But in saying that, it’s not for some, or maybe many, as it is hard but comfort was not part of my brief.

I had the same done to my old Merc at a different shop and they also kept it for a few days while they got it right.

That’s what made me decide to get the KW for the Ute.

The KW setup for the Merc is a little different to the Ute, but I can’t for the life of me remember what the coilover series was, and at the moment I can’t be bothered searching my records.

Here are a couple from a series of photos of my C63 I downloaded at the time that the shop posted of my car on their website.

Also a photo of the finished job, it’s also very firm and not for the faint-hearted or for anyone who is worried about the lack of comfort when riding on ‘liquorice strip’ tyres.

This install was done 12 years ago, and the car was transformed from a nose heavy beast to a very competent handler when it comes to corners.

1704406949896.jpeg

1704406972723.jpeg

1704407048209.jpeg

1704407150266.jpeg

1704407614364.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think the end result is very good, I’ve driven some cars with well tuned suspension over the years and I’m impressed by it.

But in saying that, it’s not for some, or maybe many, as it is hard but comfort was not part of my brief.
You often see comments on Commodore platforms recommending coil overs because they ride better. I've driven a few track cars on the street setup for fastest lap times and the ride is truly awful. There's no magic with handling and ride comfort, it's one or the other. The more you appreciate handling, the less you notice ride discomfort.

I took a mate for spin in my BMW M4 with the coil over kit and Michelin Cup 2 R spec tyres and he's complaining how hard the seats are and the rough ride to me feels pretty comfortable. The handling on these cars setup properly is insane and at 60kmph, you can turn into a 90-degree corner without braking and with the tyres warmed up, no traction loss. My mate then understood the ride compromise for great handling!

Good handling is always a fun drive as you don't need to break the speed limit to enjoy it!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You often see comments on Commodore platforms recommending coil overs because they ride better. I've driven a few track cars on the street setup for fastest lap times and the ride is truly awful. There's no magic with handling and ride comfort, it's one or the other. The more you appreciate handling, the less you notice ride discomfort.

I took a mate for spin in my BMW M4 with the coil over kit and Michelin Cup 2 R spec tyres and he's complaining how hard the seats are and the rough ride to me feels pretty comfortable. The handling on these cars setup properly is insane and at 60kmph, you can turn into a 90-degree corner without braking and with the tyres warmed up, no traction loss. My mate then understood the ride compromise for great handling!

Good handling is always a fun drive as you don't need to break the speed limit to enjoy it!

I couldn’t count the times I’ve had friends and family ask, why did I ruin a perfectly good Mercedes-Benz by making it so hard.

When I say I didn’t, I just made it handle better, they then want to know why, and of course when that is their reply, you already know they’ll never get it.

I know you can’t tell if someone has backed off because it exceeds the capabilities of their vehicle or they’re just not interested in pushing it, but I’ve only ever had an Audi and a Porsche follow me through the little bit of test road near my place .

It has a 90 degree corner in a 60 zone and you don’t have to speed up for it, you just don’t need to back off and my Ute & Merc both go through it on the limit and so did my BMW when I used to drive it.

I can feel the back of the Ute thinking about letting go if I get a bit silly and throttle out hard, but she always sticks.

And of course a lot of people forget just how important it is to have really good tyres and they need to be in good nick.

Go cheap on tyres and you’ve wasted the money you’ve spent on the suspension.

You’re right there is no such thing as a handling and comfort rolled into one, it one or the other and if you can afford a car that isn’t used for family duties, then handling is amazingly exhilarating.

When the 204 C63 was released, its ride was a compromise between handling and comfort, but in the USA (the land of the land yachts), the owners complained bitterly about how hard and uncomfortable it was, and in the end Mercedes backed it off to keep the market happy.

In reality, it wasn’t as hardcore as some of the BMW’s and other performance sedans and coupes but the Yanks are used to soft rides.

I find there are quite a few Aussies who think the same way.

I always felt HSV should have pushed the envelope a bit more with their cars, or at least offered it as an option.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Here are a couple from a series of photos of my C63
You're a master at modifying cars to look great panhead, not many left with the "gift" anymore! I'm probably living in the past or my eyes never adapted to present times, but some of the modified VE/VF's raved about are as ugly as a bag of busted posteriors!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You're a master at modifying cars to look great panhead, not many left with the "gift" anymore! I'm probably living in the past or my eyes never adapted to present times, but some of the modified VE/VF's raved about are as ugly as a bag of busted posteriors!

Thanks for the compliment.

I've always taken the less is more approach to getting a car looking right, which basically means, if you nail the stance and rims & tyres, you are 99% there.

If you keep it clean as well, then the job is done.

I grew up in a town where the popular mods for the day were 2,000,000+ ariels without a single one being plugged into anything and a huge set of mudflaps from a Mack truck fitted to the rear of your Ute.

I was always searching for a better looking than that.

Colour and trim bits are just a matter of taste.

I often shiver at the poorly designed rims that some owners fit to their cars, back in the 70's and today.

If you can't find a set of aftermarket rims to improve the look, then go for a factory set, as they are designed for that purpose.

And if all fails, go for the 5 spoke design, it's a classic that suits almost everything.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I like factory rims for the most part too.
Sometimes they just work.

Sometimes they do not!!!