Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coilovers on 2014 VF SV6 sedan

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I have an issue with 5 spoke simply because of an OCD symmetry thing but also a starfish problem and i dont mean the ones in the sea " BORING"
The main issue though i find with mags is people putting modern mags on a HK or something classic , You should always pick mags from the period.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I like factory rims for the most part too.
Sometimes they just work.
Yes, Calais wheels on an SV6 works for me on Slipstream Blue! The engine is short a couple of spark plugs to go too radical on wheels and tyres.

20230902_162551.jpg

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Yes, Calais wheels on an SV6 works for me on Slipstream Blue! The engine is short a couple of spark plugs to go too radical on wheels and tyres.

View attachment 262409
These mags were on the SSV also , and i was really torn to take them off and sell them. I had no choice due to the big brake upgrade.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I always felt HSV should have pushed the envelope a bit more with their cars, or at least offered it as an option.
Wasnt there one or 2 VZ Options that could have been optioned with some higher end stuff?
SV6000 and Ohlins (as coilovers?) comes to mind.
Might have been a few other options like the Dealer Team spec and so on...

Best handling car i'd say ive been in is an XR5 Focus. Stupid stiff little go kart.

On the flip side, there was someone on here with a HQ (Morton) who made his ride the softest you could ever get.
Soft Rubber everything, normal 14s or 15s with lots of sidewall.
Used to say you could go over a kerb and not feel it.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES

View attachment 262409
Yeah, see that looks great.
Different wheels, different car.
Very nice.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I have the SV’s on mine because when I first saw them I thought they were just spot on for a factory option.
Haven’t changed my mind yet, they just look so good.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You often see comments on Commodore platforms recommending coil overs because they ride better. I've driven a few track cars on the street setup for fastest lap times and the ride is truly awful. There's no magic with handling and ride comfort, it's one or the other. The more you appreciate handling, the less you notice ride discomfort.

I took a mate for spin in my BMW M4 with the coil over kit and Michelin Cup 2 R spec tyres and he's complaining how hard the seats are and the rough ride to me feels pretty comfortable. The handling on these cars setup properly is insane and at 60kmph, you can turn into a 90-degree corner without braking and with the tyres warmed up, no traction loss. My mate then understood the ride compromise for great handling!

Good handling is always a fun drive as you don't need to break the speed limit to enjoy it!
I think maybe “ride discomfort” is a different thing in different cars.

My best mate at work has a Cayman GT4, it’s probably technically firmer than your M4 & way more than the Commodore. But probably like your M4 it feels like it’s hewn from the single piece of stone, so if you hit a road irregularity you just feel it rather than hearing every interior part smashing against every other interior part. Thusly, even though the SSVR is definitely softer than the GT4, and by a reasonable whack, to me the GT4 is more comfortable on iffy roads; the SSVR has had dashboard rattles on most speed bumps & probably most potholes since it was new.
Except if you’re not careful with that low GT4 chin spoiler …

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Wasnt there one or 2 VZ Options that could have been optioned with some higher end stuff?
SV6000 and Ohlins (as coilovers?) comes to mind.
Might have been a few other options like the Dealer Team spec and so on...

Best handling car i'd say ive been in is an XR5 Focus. Stupid stiff little go kart.

On the flip side, there was someone on here with a HQ (Morton) who made his ride the softest you could ever get.
Soft Rubber everything, normal 14s or 15s with lots of sidewall.
Used to say you could go over a kerb and not feel it.
Can’t remember the tyres however I recall mounting a kerb backwards at about 40kph in a HZ Prem in the wet and never felt a thing.
No broken bits either.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@RevNev do you have any experience with TEIN coilovers , if so how would you rate them. I bought mine without really looking into suspension when i bought them simply because i found it a bit overwhelming with all the information out there. There are setup stiff , but in the wagon it seems to hold it a bit flatter but i feal they do need a bit of a tune, particularly on concrete highway roads at low speeds (bumper to bumper ) traffic it develops a bit of a bounce

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
TEIN is a good brand in terms of build-quality, any probs you’d have would be because they didn’t suit a car (too low a volume for proper R&D?) than due to how it’s made.

Bilstein was the winnar for my Volvo project-car, mostly because you could buy shocks with settings that work with a car of that weight & with that sort of suspension setup (McPherson front & solid coil-sprung rear with Panhard rod). Everything else was an OEM replacement, so didn’t really suit lowering or embiggened spring-rates … OEM is Ohlins, and Ohlins is good gear, but they only offered OEM-spec damping for that model.