Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Collapsed lifter

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Need to remove intake manifold and fill with solvent to get all the oil out, same with intake piping.

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
Hello guys,
Thought i would contribute my experiences to this lifter thread.
I have a s2 ve L77 (afm gear but disabled), can see in my sig i think.

Engine started making a tapping noise, took it to my mechanic who pulled rocker covers and said the lifters and such all looked fine, he wasn't sure what it was.
I spoke to C&A Auto fashion here in melbourne and they said sounds like a stuffed lifter bearing.
The next day on the way home taking off at the lights under light load (2500rpm about 60kms p/h) there was a bang and a rattle and the check engine light came on.
As it was midnight with 2 sleeping kids in the back i continued the 10mins limping slowly home.
Didn't turn it on again, had it towed to C&A a few days later, they have it now and i'm waiting feedback.. they estimate between 4k and 7k.
My recommendation is if you notice a tapping sound coming from the engine that speeds up and slows down with the RPM. Bite the bullet and pay the 4k to fix it early, or as soon as the check engine light comes on and the engine shakes, don't be a idiot like me, pull over and call a tow truck :)

Will keep this updated.

Regards,
Stuart.

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Small update.
Engine is apart at C&A Auto fashion.
Quote was $4,400 to do their full DOD delete kit + new slightly more aggressive cam.
Now its apart they say the cam bearings need doing and there is lots of carbon on the pistons. Extra $1,100 to fix.
Have also said all done and dusted for $5,500 provides no warranty the bottom end still doesn't need a rebuild.

Quoted me about 11k to fit a new LS3. Wreckers want about the same.

Confused :(

Regards,
Stuart.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
How many kms?

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update..
Decided to go with a complete top end rebuild including the extra bits.. timing chain, oil pump etc.
They have agreed to do it all for just under $5k.

Think I'm done with holden... will sell her when fixed.

I'll still lurk the forums though ;)

Regards,
Stuart.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
If you have done the DOD delete kit it should be fine. Those DOD lifter have a bad habit of failing, stock style lifter should be fine.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Update..
Decided to go with a complete top end rebuild including the extra bits.. timing chain, oil pump etc.
They have agreed to do it all for just under $5k.

Think I'm done with holden... will sell her when fixed.

I'll still lurk the forums though ;)

Regards,
Stuart.

When you turn that key for the first time, you'll fall in love all over again. May I ask what your oil change frequency was for the 100000km's?

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you turn that key for the first time, you'll fall in love all over again. May I ask what your oil change frequency was for the 100000km's?

You might be right. I feel like I'm the only one with car troubles in my extended family. They are all into the Jap cars, my issues with them is i hardly fit in (6'7) and they sound ****.
Oil and filter change just every 10k. Cousin is a mechanic so he does services for me.

Regards,
Stuart.