Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Collapsed lifter

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
What would happen if you stick regular lifters in an AFM engine?
Is more the lifter / cam combo, stocko AFM cam is actually a VVT hybrid cam installed straight up. It has huge duration @ 0.006” like 330° vs 204° @ 0.050”.
With heads off to replace lifters might as well either install cam phaser on existing cam (totally recommend), or replace lifters, rods, cam and cam gear with LS3 equivalent parts “LS3 conversion”. Else of course build a V8 CO2 generator that comes into its own 5-10% of the driving time with “LS3 conversion” and a race cam. Like most people.
The irony is that with a cam phaser the stocko cam gets same valve events as a 454 cam, can shrink back to 3 litre Prius mode.

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
It has just parts used no warranty and what work they did .

If the car wasn't smoking before you took it in then thats their problem not yours.

If it truly does need a rebuild then thats on them.

I'd still try and get a second opinion elsewhere, these guys seem like morons, I wouldn't be believing anything they are telling you.

I have a tow truck picking it up today for a second opinion today I'm starting to think it dont need a rebuild as it drives great and only blows smoke on start up and high revs I think they fucked up the lifters

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
Curious, can we tell if a lifter is about to fail? Or does it just happen on the spot when it wants.

With my car the check engine light come on about 1 month before hand saying oil pressure sensor I think that was the warning it was failing

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Not sure as AFM uses a different cam profile as well, had a car come in misfiring was doing my head in till I discovered it had an AFM cam in a non AFM engine. Wierd things happen when you mix up parts.
Weird thing I found out this week was L98 uses original L76 Truck cam pn
12625439 (cathedral head AFM VVT) installed straight up.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
As soon as I read the op took it a repco store following a breakdown, I just new he was going from bad to worse.

Cut your losses, get your car back asap and find a mechanic who has half a clue.

I do hope you get it sorted without havingvto completely touch your toes.

I totally agree, even holden would do a better job than this mob as at least holden have a clue about the engine. I'd be getting it sorted somewhere else getting them to put in writing that the real issue was etc and then instigating action against repco for your money back. It sounds like they have created more problems than what you actually went in with.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Yes it was tapping and driving like **** the check engine light come on as well it didn't heat up or blow smoke they are willing to do a rebuild if I pay for parts which I dont have a problem with BUT they have never rebuilt a motor this will be there first time .

Definitely sounds like it could have been a lifter/AFM/ valve train related issue. Maybe they initially said fit a high volume oil pump because they discovered low oil pressure after replacing a lifter which they then didn't realise could have been damage to the cam or a valve from said lifter (if it was that) rather than an old oil pump etc. Now you could have a bent valve also or some other reason (e.g. damaged cam lobe) giving you the smoke. It could even be that the head and block surfaces weren't prepared correctly before putting the heads back on and an incorrect procedure used there.

Without being able to see it, hear it and do it myself, it sounds like you need the heads off and taken to head place to get checked and milled to ensure perfectly flat, a whole new set of lifters/buckets incl the AFM ones, the cam removed and checked for damage and replaced as necessary as well as cam bearings checked for damage. Then back together with factory oil pump (which is actually fairly high volume on the L77 anyway from factory) and the car should run perfect. The oil in intake is a common issue like Monstar said, that's not the cause of your problems, that was always there before you even started having the initial issue.

Repco have really screwed the pooch on this one sorry - get out of there and then hit them for your money back later once sorted.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I think it’s an exhaust lifter and that loud knock is reversion backfire through the manifold. I have studied sound from all footage and there are two noises, one quieter and rhythmic matched with RPM and the loud one which is either as above or something deep hammering, but is not harmonic.
At first thought it was a spun bearing and rod knock but realised it just doesn’t happen instantly like that.
Whatever, best to pull battery cable, free tow, lift motor ($880 in/out), forensic tear down at Cragsted Race Engines ($1200 tear down/zip up) replace lifters and overhaul key bits (write up to follow).
All pro engineering and best components still likely work out around same price as original Repco bill above. o_O
Beauty with it all completely apart (they do a couple dozen LS3 and Miami race engines a week, supercar scrutineering etc) is lollie shop time for cam swap $500, stroker option $1500, custom forged race pistons $1000, turnkey ready in days.
Love your care free outlook on it all!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I have a tow truck picking it up today for a second opinion today I'm starting to think it dont need a rebuild as it drives great and only blows smoke on start up and high revs I think they fucked up the lifters

any updates??