Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore shudders and cranks over twice as quick when starting occasionally

Breno_17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or knows the cause/potential causes of this issue.

I have a series 1 VE Berlina, and sometimes when I've turned off the car and try starting it again within 5 - 10 minutes (such as when getting petrol, etc) (< 5 minutes it almost always does it and the worst has been about 10 minutes between) it shudders quite violently for a second and the engine cranks over almost twice as fast as normal. The car drives fine afterwards so its just the start-up.

The starter motor is the only thing I can think that it could be, but due to it being so infrequent, I'm stumped as to what it could be. It's had a service between when this issue began happening and now and the mechanic didn't note any codes or issues. I haven't been able to find anything similar online either.

if anyone could shed some light that'd be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or knows the cause/potential causes of this issue.

I have a series 1 VE Berlina, and sometimes when I've turned off the car and try starting it again within 5 - 10 minutes (such as when getting petrol, etc) (< 5 minutes it almost always does it and the worst has been about 10 minutes between) it shudders quite violently for a second and the engine cranks over almost twice as fast as normal. The car drives fine afterwards so its just the start-up.

The starter motor is the only thing I can think that it could be, but due to it being so infrequent, I'm stumped as to what it could be. It's had a service between when this issue began happening and now and the mechanic didn't note any codes or issues. I haven't been able to find anything similar online either.

if anyone could shed some light that'd be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
I'm no expert, but I have similar problems, where after refueling it will idle rough/shudder, then stall. Then next start up is as nothing ever happened. Also get this at times when just starting my car throughout the day. I pinned it to either the key not reading properly or the EVAP purge valve solenoid. Through my research anyway. I could be way off for you tho.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
More info required,
Year ?
Home many K's has it done ?
Does it happen mainly when its cold or hot, ?
After the first start, or after a few starts. ?

Could also be the Engine Mounts are knacked, that could cause the cranking vibration when there is a lack of fuel,
as the engine mounts are not the best GM had used.

It sounds like the fuel pump is gradually failing,
I had the exact same scenario after I installed a after market fuel pump, either lack of pressure, and/or faulty non return valve.

I also found the plug was burnt on the loom,
I have done a thread on the replacement of the fuel pump, may the force be with you !

Breno_17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
More info required,
Year ?
Home many K's has it done ?
Does it happen mainly when its cold or hot, ?
After the first start, or after a few starts. ?

Could also be the Engine Mounts are knacked, that could cause the cranking vibration when there is a lack of fuel,
as the engine mounts are not the best GM had used.

It sounds like the fuel pump is gradually failing,
I had the exact same scenario after I installed a after market fuel pump, either lack of pressure, and/or faulty non return valve.

I also found the plug was burnt on the loom,
I have done a thread on the replacement of the fuel pump, may the force be with you !
it has done just over 100,000kms and is the 2010 model year. it happens occasionally regardless whether it's hot or cold.

I don't think it's ever done it on the first start, only if the engine has been off for less than 10 - 15 minutes and you try turning it back on again.
Again it's quite intermittent, sometimes it can start just fine back to back within 10 minutes and other times it's does this shuddering stuff.

I think the engine mounts are worn, because when sitting at lights I can feel vibrations in the cabin, but this is MUCH more severe than that and only lasts half a second at most and the car runs fine AFAIK afterwards.

i know it sounds stupid but I have one those Bluetooth cigarette lighter music things, and sometimes it says 'abnormal voltage' when I plug it in, whereas it's never said that once when I've plugged it into my Mazda which I daily most of the time.

I've not noticed a correlation between the 'abnormal voltage' message and the shudder-start but maybe the alternator is on the way out?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
it has done just over 100,000kms and is the 2010 model year. it happens occasionally regardless whether it's hot or cold.

I don't think it's ever done it on the first start, only if the engine has been off for less than 10 - 15 minutes and you try turning it back on again.
Again it's quite intermittent, sometimes it can start just fine back to back within 10 minutes and other times it's does this shuddering stuff.

I think the engine mounts are worn, because when sitting at lights I can feel vibrations in the cabin, but this is MUCH more severe than that and only lasts half a second at most and the car runs fine AFAIK afterwards.

i know it sounds stupid but I have one those Bluetooth cigarette lighter music things, and sometimes it says 'abnormal voltage' when I plug it in, whereas it's never said that once when I've plugged it into my Mazda which I daily most of the time.

I've not noticed a correlation between the 'abnormal voltage' message and the shudder-start but maybe the alternator is on the way out?

Possibly the Alternator is failing, but wouldn't cause the shaking
But they usually fail around 160,000 > 180.000 k/m's or even a bit later,
The over voltage is not normal, but the VE's can charge a little higher after start up [up to 14.8V], that also depends upon the status/condition of the battery,
But should always charge at approx. 14.4V normally.
Best to check the charge voltage with a Multimeter at the Battery, and not under the hood.

Sidenote:
I replaced an original one not long ago on a 2007 60th Edition Calais with a L98 that had done 220,000 k/s,
And found the only fault was the brushes needed to be replaced,
I have since replaced them, and the bearings [to be on the safe side] placed it on the shelf as another spare.

Reactions: Lex