Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore sliding out in wet.

Tj2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII executive
I just recently bought a VY commodore. At the start, I’ll admit, I didn’t have much experience driving commodores. Not long after I got my P’s I was driving in town after some heavy rain on a hot day. I went to make a right turn around a round about and embarrassed myself by having my car slide out. I have absolutely no desire for skids whatsoever. But I noticed, I could physically feel a change in my car. The second I put my foot on the accelerator gently to continue going straight, my car was still sliding around and didn’t feel the same. I learnt my lesson to drive extra careful in the rain. However, the roads were slightly wet tonight and I was stopping at a red light, I did hit the brakes a little harder than usual and I felt the brake pedal start to shake and my car started to slide, I just assumed it was because I was braking a little to hard. Until the light turned green and I slightly put my foot on the accelerator, my car once again just didn’t feel right and started sliding and kind of gliding through the water? It wouldn’t stop until I had to (very slowly) pull over, turn my ignition off and start my car again. I hope this makes some kind of sense as I am clueless with these things but any help would be much appreciated as I don’t want to actually fully lose control of my car and have something serious happen.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
does the traction control work? As an old bloke I probably wouldn't notice if it did or didn't work in most cases. I drove a mates VS for a week a while back when I gave it back to him he said did I notice the abs wasn't working I hadn't noticed. Your driving style is probably a lot of the problem maybe the diff has locked up does it chirp around corners when its dry?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What brand tyres are on the car?
Make sure it has good tyres and I only ever buy the big brands not something you have never heard of like blue sky bright sunshine tyres ..
Also check the shocks are not too old and still doing their job. Old bouncy shocks and 50 dollar shitty tyres are an accident waiting to happen.

Tj2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII executive
does the traction control work? As an old bloke I probably wouldn't notice if it did or didn't work in most cases. I drove a mates VS for a week a while back when I gave it back to him he said did I notice the abs wasn't working I hadn't noticed. Your driving style is probably a lot of the problem maybe the diff has locked up does it chirp around corners when its dry?
I’ve never had any issues driving it when the roads are dry. As far as I’m concerned, my car has no traction control at all. Not sure why. My Tyres are due to be replaced ASAP as well as my brakes. Could that be the issue? Like I’ve had my car slide out when I’ve accidentally hit the accelerator too hard, learnt my lesson there. Just a bit concerned as to why my car just feels different after it’s slid out. Usually if I put my foot down it just continues to drive forward with no issues. But after it’s slid out, even the slightest tap on the accelerator almost results in a skid. It’s quite scary having to put my hazards on and drive as slow as possible until I can pull over and turn my ignition off. I guess I’m just as bit confused on what causes it to slide out to begin with, why it just feels different and why it won’t go back to driving normally without having to turn my ignition off and back on again.

Tj2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII executive
What brand tyres are on the car?
Make sure it has good tyres and I only ever buy the big brands not something you have never heard of like blue sky bright sunshine tyres ..
Also check the shocks are not too old and still doing their job. Old bouncy shocks and 50 dollar shitty tyres are an accident waiting to happen.
I honestly wouldn’t have a clue what Tyres are on the car. I will admit, I didn’t realise until after I bought the car, that the person I bought it off lied about a fair few things. But given the fact that he was supposed to be my friend and my lack of knowledge in cars, I’m sure there’s a whole lot more problems I’m unaware of as of yet.

Tj2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII executive
what does that do?
Well I don’t know how to explain it. The rear end of my car kinda thumps and it just doesn’t feel right at all. Like if I was to put my foot down (which I won’t) it would do a skid. Even if I lightly tap the accelerator to just generally move forward, my rear end still slides and the odd feeling doesn’t go away until I turn my ignition off. Once I turn it back on and continue to drive again, it drives like normal.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Sounds like you need to invest in new tyres and not just cheap nasty rubbish either and also take your car to a reputable mechanic and get them to look over it and tell them what happened

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I’ve never had any issues driving it when the roads are dry. As far as I’m concerned, my car has no traction control at all. Not sure why. My Tyres are due to be replaced ASAP as well as my brakes. Could that be the issue? Like I’ve had my car slide out when I’ve accidentally hit the accelerator too hard, learnt my lesson there. Just a bit concerned as to why my car just feels different after it’s slid out. Usually if I put my foot down it just continues to drive forward with no issues. But after it’s slid out, even the slightest tap on the accelerator almost results in a skid. It’s quite scary having to put my hazards on and drive as slow as possible until I can pull over and turn my ignition off. I guess I’m just as bit confused on what causes it to slide out to begin with, why it just feels different and why it won’t go back to driving normally without having to turn my ignition off and back on again.
Get your brakes and tyres done ASAP. While it’s in the workshop get the mechanic to check everything else out. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Don’t let it.

Tj2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII executive
Sounds like you need to invest in new tyres and not just cheap nasty rubbish either and also take your car to a reputable mechanic and get them to look over it and tell them what happened
Yeah I’ve just got the tyres the car come with. Given how dodgy my so called “mate” is, it wouldn’t surprise me of the tyres were garbage. The traction is borderline not roadworthy. But since I just had to pay to get it serviced; tyres, wheel alignment (steering wheel is crooked and the guy I bought it off just said he put it on crooked and I didn’t need an alignment, laughable) and brakes are definitely next on my list for next pay!