Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore wheel choice.

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
I've always been a bit disappointed for wheel choice on the early Commodores. Lately I've seen 20" walky wheels, 19" Aeros and lots of Simmons wheels on VB-VLs. While they're nice wheels, they're not the look I'm after.
I used to have a VK with 14" dragway mags on it. It looked nice and fairly unique (I didn't put them on, bought it like that.) I liked the muscle look.
I now understand that chev pattern wheels on Commodore studs runs the risk of snapping the studs.

So my question is: do I do a hub swap to fit the wheels I want? Do I order custom wheels? Or is there some place that does muscle car wheels with a Commodore stud pattern?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Post a pic of the style you're after - 'dragway' can encompass any number of styles. There are a few brands that should be able to cater, Performance Wheels Australia is the obvious first that springs to mind. Wouldn't bother looking at a hub swap, likely the only way it will work is if you redrill existing hubs, which will also mean that you need to redrill your rotors and every rotor you use afterwards. PCD you're after is 5x120.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've always been a bit disappointed for wheel choice on the early Commodores. Lately I've seen 20" walky wheels, 19" Aeros and lots of Simmons wheels on VB-VLs. While they're nice wheels, they're not the look I'm after.
I used to have a VK with 14" dragway mags on it. It looked nice and fairly unique (I didn't put them on, bought it like that.) I liked the muscle look.
I now understand that chev pattern wheels on Commodore studs runs the risk of snapping the studs.

So my question is: do I do a hub swap to fit the wheels I want? Do I order custom wheels? Or is there some place that does muscle car wheels with a Commodore stud pattern?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

You mean these classics

5spoke.jpg

Looks like they're still available, along with their other classic style rims HERE .....ahh the memories.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Wheels are a subjective thing, what appeals to one person wont necessarily appeal to another. I had the early 18" ve ss rims on my vh and though I still like them I changed them for some 18" ANZ wheels that I originally had on a previously owned vt clubsport. I had them powder coated black prior to fitting them. I would never consider anything larger than 18", one because of looks another because tyres become too expensive.

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Post a pic of the style you're after - 'dragway' can encompass any number of styles. There are a few brands that should be able to cater, Performance Wheels Australia is the obvious first that springs to mind. Wouldn't bother looking at a hub swap, likely the only way it will work is if you redrill existing hubs, which will also mean that you need to redrill your rotors and every rotor you use afterwards. PCD you're after is 5x120.

VS 5.0 posted a pic of the ones I had. I wasn't keen on swapping or drilling hubs, especially if it was something I'd need to do more than once. I'll check out PWA, cheers.

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Wheels are a subjective thing, what appeals to one person wont necessarily appeal to another. I had the early 18" ve ss rims on my vh and though I still like them I changed them for some 18" ANZ wheels that I originally had on a previously owned vt clubsport. I had them powder coated black prior to fitting them. I would never consider anything larger than 18", one because of looks another because tyres become too expensive.

True. I like deep dish wheels. But anything over 17/18 inch on older commodores looks ridiculous, in my opinion.