Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
They say past performance is never a guarantee of future profits, and as people are fickle, who knows what will happen in 5 years time.

The value of the usual suspect Aussie muscle cars will be interesting in the medium to longer term when the baby boomers are gone, Gen Z needs all the dollars to fund their retirement and Gen Y onwards won't have the currently commanded dollars to spend on toys coz they will be struggling to put a roof over their head.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think its that and the adjustment to any power you do have. If you jump into a much more powerful car, the sensation during acceleration eventually dulls a bit, as you get used to it. Hence you need to upgrade.

That and number based willy waving!
Although my old jalopy is no comparison to a modern 6.2L, but when i had the engine repaired and all the upgrades working properly I thought heck this thing goes well. Now I am again chasing more power. I agree though you could have a 1000hp Hennessy and still need more grunt, 6 weeks after first jumping in the driver seat.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Although my old jalopy is no comparison to a modern 6.2L, but when i had the engine repaired and all the upgrades working properly I thought heck this thing goes well. Now I am again chasing more power. I agree though you could have a 1000hp Hennessy and still need more grunt, 6 weeks after first jumping in the driver seat.
Its an addiction :rolleyes::p

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Its an addiction :rolleyes::p
One that doesn't end!! Hence ive only done a full exhaust on mine, power is never enough! Hence ive gone for the better tyres and whatever money buys without going for powwwwwer!

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Sometimes it seems that even the 6.2ltr V8 is underpowered with the mods people do to them :p
As such an AWD VXR with some engine mods surely could end up with heaps of power... the only question is how much can the drive line support or how deep ones pockets are.
Problem is these things come with 9-speed transmission, to keep engine at optimum RPM for fuel economy and emissions. So cramming more cogs in means less maximum torque. If say you wanted a turbo V6, you would have to go back to a 6-speed tranny to handle that torque. I doubt GM could be bothered to test and tweak it for a small market.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Problem is these things come with 9-speed transmission, to keep engine at optimum RPM for fuel economy and emissions. So cramming more cogs in means less maximum torque. If say you wanted a turbo V6, you would have to go back to a 6-speed tranny to handle that torque. I doubt GM could be bothered to test and tweak it for a small market.
The number of gears within a transmission and the torque capability of a transmission are not directly related (unless the transmission size is fixed). There are lots of gearboxes about with huge torque capabilities. You don’t have to look far to realise GM’s new 10 speed Corvette auto can easily handle the torque of their new V8 engine.

What the torque capability of the 9 speed is I have no idea.

Modders have been known to change transmissions if they aren’t strong enough :p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

My 2019 C63 with a 4.0 litre twin turbo V8 has 700Nm of torque and a 9 speed trans and to me they seem to be very compatible.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
My 2019 C63 with a 4.0 litre twin turbo V8 has 700Nm of torque and a 9 speed trans and to me they seem to be very compatible.
How stiff is the setup on the C63 my uncle has an 2010 one and fawwwwwk that are sooo stiff.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Everyone talks about some Commodores "not having enough grunt". Now I WOULD like my VF Evoke wagon to accelerate a little quicker from take-off but once on the run she goes okay. I've driven a 2 litre ZB RS and it has more go on take-off than the Evoke...feels about the same once you are running.

I suppose the point I am making is this... even if you had an LS motor with all the go faster bits on it just where are you going to speed? I live in Pricktoria (I call it that because of the Nanny-state attitude to speed cameras and the like). Here you cannot drive for more than half an hour before spotting either a speed camera in a non-descript new car or ute parked on the side of the road (no warning signs in Pricktoria), a combined red light/speed camera or the boys in blue cruising in their unmarked SUVs and BMWs. You can't win! And remember, in Pricktoria there is almost zero tolerance on camera TINS. A couple of Kay over...bam...you're booked. The width of a speedo needle.

I love having power underfoot...power to overtake, power on take-off for the "traffic light derby" but I'll be damned if I want to contribute to Chairman Dan's Pricktorian Consolidated Revenue! So, for the most part, I don't speed. I watch my speedo, I have a sixth sense for spotting parked speed cameras and I slow down if any new SUV or BMW is up my clacker with two guys in the front seat wearing cop-generic shades. In Pricktoria we cannot speed at all so all this talk of the ZB being gutless, etc, is just moot in a state like this.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
^ if you want to open up, do the roadie from Adelaide to Darwin, and really plant it for a bit of fun just after Barrow Creek in NT. The open limit is officially 130km/h, but I have been overtaken by sporty rides going at least 190kmh. Fun? Yes, well...the downside is that if a feral camel, emu or something else struts across the road, you have zero chance of escaping the resulting conflagration - - if a cow can demolish a big rig, don't expect the kid glove treatment in a Commodore...