Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confused about window tint

johnzombie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Earlier today me and a mate of mine went for a drive around to 3 different window tint shops, and they all told us something different when we asked them the exact same questions. Basically, from research I'd done on here, I was convinced that metallic tint was the way to go but I wasn't 100% sold on the idea because of what I had heard about interference issues. All of the following tints are darkest legal.

With that in mind, we went to Tint-a-car and we were told that metallic is THE best and not to listen to anyone else who trys to tell us otherwise. The interference problem doesn't happen on VE's because the antenna is on the roof, and my mate who has an FG will need a colour matched rear window MM tint (I think she called it MM). We were also told that all Tint-a-car tints come with a genuine lifetime warranty, not some dodgy 7 year "lifetime" warranty offered by other shops. We had a look at their "Octane" tint actually on a car and it looked pretty awesome. The Octane is on special for $395 ($100 off) until the end of August.

Then we went to Tintmaster. The guy there told us not to bother with metallic tint and that carbon is by far the best. He said that 3M ScotchTint ($365?) is his most recommended tint but if we wanted superior heat rejection as well then we should get a hybrid called "Ultra Carbon" which is ($465?). When we asked him about the warranty he told us that their lifetime warranty is however long the car is around for, 20, 25, 30 years or whatever. He kept on repeating that carbon is "just better" and couldn't really tell us why other than saying its the blackest and it doesn't cause interference. He also told us that they apparently have the best installers in Geelong since they've been doing it for over 30 years.

Then onto AM Glass Tinting. The guy there was the least convincing out of anyone, but what he did say made sense. There we were told that a hybrid is DEFINITELY the way to go. I can't remember the name of the hybrid, but it was something like $445. After that, he said his favourite was 3M Black. I asked him what the difference between that and 3M ScotchTint from Tintmaster was and he said the name. Sure enough, the brochure for ScotchTint and Black was identical. 3M black was $365 I think.

So after first begin told that metallic is the best, then to being told that carbon is the best, to then being told that hybrid is the best, we have absolutely no clue whatsoever on what to go with or who to believe. They all look good, except for maybe the hybrid they weren't as black as the others. Do you have any tint experiences to share? Quality, price, performance, type, after sales support, etc? Any info at all would be awesome!

Thanks guys.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Of course everyone will tell you their product is far superior to their competition. They'd be throwing away business otherwise!

I'm pretty sure mine is a metallic film. I've had 4 cars done with the same type and I've never had an issue.

bdv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega
Tint cost $6 a metre. Do the maths.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Metallic doesn't cause interference to the radio, it reduces the range of your central locking as the receiver module is in the cabin.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Metallic doesn't cause interference to the radio, it reduces the range of your central locking as the receiver module is in the cabin.

This could explain why I need to stand right next to my van to unlock it (fitted with an aftermarket alarm system).

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
My car had radio reception issues from the start, I have metallic tint that made no difference, as said, the antenna is on the roof, the metallic tints only reduce the signal for on glass antennas, be they radio mobile phone or whatever, and only then if the tint is applied then the antenna stuck over the top of it. If your on glass antenna is on the windscreen, tint will not affect it obviously, or if you want metallic tint AND an on glass antenna on the same window, get them to simply cut a square out the same size as the antenna base so there is no tint under the antenna, then you will have no problems, but means if you sell your car, the antenna goes with it.

This could explain why I need to stand right next to my van to unlock it (fitted with an aftermarket alarm system).

Touch your head with the remote when pressing the button, it extends the range considerably, I **** you not.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You won't have issues with metallic or carbon tint so long as it's good film and the installer knows what their doing. SunTek carbon film is excellent. I have a metalised film called solar guard by Quantum on mine. No complaints - visibility is good and no reception issues.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I was told similar things to you about the differences between carbon and metalic tints. I was told that the radio reception on a new VE models used a combined signal from the antenna on the roof and bars in the rear window. I contacted Holden about this and they said Huh? That sorted that myth out.

I had the carbon put on and the job was so crap that I had it removed a week later. I had another tint place redo the tint using metalic (like I've had before) and did not notice any issues with radion reception. One thing I was told by some people is that metalic tint can interfer with mobile phone reception (so can a lot of other things) and sometimes the quality of AM radio reception.

I don't about you but I never listen to AM radio...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I was told similar things to you about the differences between carbon and metalic tints. I was told that the radio reception on a new VE models used a combined signal from the antenna on the roof and bars in the rear window. I contacted Holden about this and they said Huh? That sorted that myth out.

I had the carbon put on and the job was so crap that I had it removed a week later. I had another tint place redo the tint using metalic (like I've had before) and did not notice any issues with radion reception. One thing I was told by some people is that metalic tint can interfer with mobile phone reception (so can a lot of other things) and sometimes the quality of AM radio reception.

I don't about you but I never listen to AM radio...

This is true, not a myth at all.

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
This is true, not a myth at all.

Agree, got my windows tinted by Tint Professor they recommended the premium package which includes carbon tint for the back window. They said it was recommended for better radio reception and GPS signal for the Sat Nav.