Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

connecting amp to ve original radio

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by t0m3kkk_ve, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Unit_01

Unit_01 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
    OKay, so I tapped into the rear speakers alright, now where exactly do I tap into for the remote wire?

And if I want to put speakers in the rear parcel shelf, I can just tap off the rear speaker wires aswell just like I did for the LOC unit?

As in, I was going to tap off the wire I used to tap off the rear speakers. Will this be safe or not?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    I would wire the remote to the handsfree plug behind the glovebox as Luke0011 suggested, this way the amplifier with stay on whenever the radio is on (Luke correct me if im wrong, im sure you will ;)). As opposed to the wire i suggested, which will only turn the amp on when the key is on.

You can add rear speakers into the parcel shelf by tapping into the LOC wiring, but you will have to disconnect the existing rear door speakers first. Otherwise you'll be running 2 pairs of speakers off 1 pair of speaker outputs. This is not good for the head-units amplifier as it "loads" down to 2 ohm, more than likely resulting in a blown amplifier. So yeah, disconnect the rear speakers, tap into your LOC wiring and install / wire up the new speakers, should work fine.

3. Unit_01

Unit_01 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
    Okay, that explains why my subs aren't turning on as I haven't wired my remote wire yet...

Damn, I've already wired up the parcel shelf speakers by tapping into the rear door speaker wire which I'm also using for the LOC...

How else can I run the parcel shelf speakers? Other than tapping into the LOC wire...Can't I run them off the monoblock too?

And the accessory wire is the Brown one underneathe the glovebox yeah?

The one pictured below:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    the phone kit plug is behind the glovebox and the accessories wire is a brown wire < Thats a quote from Luke0011, i havent actually used this wire before so i can only suggest you either ask or wait for Luke0011 to come on to clarify this.

The only way you can run another two speakers is to buy another amplifier. In all honesty i wouldnt bother too much with the rears (leave the stock rear door ones), but if you really want parcel shelf speakers then you'll have to disconnect those door speakers. So no, you cant connect them to the monoblock, it designed to play sub-bass frequencies, not full range for speakers.

5. Unit_01

Unit_01 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
    Hmm...I'll have a dig around now and see what I find..

Edit: Had a dig through it, and found an un-used plug. The wires that were in there are as follows: Orange/black, Light blue, white.

This was located behind the glovebox to the left.

Pic:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  6. Luke0011

Luke0011 Car Audio Installer

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina 2005
    yeah look at the opposite side of that plug and you will see the brown wire. Tap into that

7. Unit_01

Unit_01 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
    Yeah mate. Done that and all is working well.

Cheers for your help ladies. :)

8. chrissove

chrissove New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS UTE
    Remote wire

Hey guys been reading this thread cos i've been trying to install an infinity basslink powered sub in my ve ute, every thing seems to be working well and it adds a lot of depth to the stock system. The only thing is that it stays on all the time ie I can't get it to turn off when the stereo is swithed off! The powered sub needs 3 power inputs; positive power from the battery, earth, and remote. I figure remote would be the accesory wire you guys have been talking about so tried to tap into that but no change.

I didn't think the sub would turn on without a remote signal but it seems it's default is to turn on unless it's receiving one, am I doing everything right?

Cheers in advance

9. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    So if you remove the remote wire from the amp and turn the head-unit off, it still stays on?

If so, you have a faulty amp. Take it back.

10. chrissove

chrissove New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS UTE
    Ok, so I'm assuming that the remote wire is the accessories wire previosly mentioned here. If the remote wire isn't connected and the only wires I have going to the amp are the earth/ground and the positive from the battery the amp will be on turn on...

So you reckon it might be faulty?

11. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Yep, to clarify this:

* Amp has power cable from the battery going to the + terminal on the amp, earth cable going from earth to the - terminal on the amp. The remote wire isnt connected nor are the RCA cables or "high input" cables.
    * Car / stereo is off

If the amp is still on (power light on) then yes, the amp is definitely faulty. Take it back under warranty and tell them the same stuff youve told me. Even leave it connected in the car when you go to the shop (unless bought online) and show them whats happening. In the meantime disconnect the power cable from the battery or remove the fuse to prevent the battery from going flat.

12. chrissove

chrissove New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS UTE
    Cheers mate, with check it out...

13. Luke0011

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina 2005
    that is the phone kit plug, the other side of this plug will have your brown accessory wire which ou can use to turn on the amplifier.
    Here is a diagram of the ve radio quad lock connector and the functions as well the secondary connector for nav , reverse interface.

ve quad lock.JPG

ve video in.JPG

The video in is also used for reverse in. 2009 VE commodores have 2 video inputs

The video inputs still can only be activated using a GMLAN Video in motion bypass module.

14. Unit_01

Unit_01 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
    Just a quick question for you guys. I've wired up some rear parcel shelf speakers by tapping into the rear speakers. I was told that this is not good for the stock amplifier as I'm running 2 sets of speakers off the 1 speaker output.

Would it work if I disconnect the middle speaker on the dash and connect the parcel shelf speakers to that wiring? That way I'll have a seperate line instead of connecting to the rear speaker line.

If I can do this, where is the wiring located and which colours am I looking for?

Cheers.

15. Luke0011

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina 2005
    no because the centre speaker wiring is split from the front speaker wiring. What it does mainly is that it lowers the stereo seperation of the sound thus reducing the sound quality. Technically speaking it does put a strain on the output of your stock headunit. I have wired many stock stereos this way and never have i see the output blow or become faulty.

16. Unit_01

Unit_01 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
    Ohh, so you've wired up parcel shelf speakers by tapping into the rear speaker wires aswell?

17. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    So you want to run 2 sets of speakers and the LOC from the rear speaker outputs?

If so, i wouldn't recommend it. Basically, youre running the stock amplifier at 2 ohm.....unless ive just been over-cautious AFAIK stock head-units dont like 2 ohm?

18. Luke0011

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina 2005
    Yes i have and have never seen a unit blow because it was running at 2 ohm

19. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Hmm, well ok....youve got more guts than me :unsure:

20. cds

cds New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
    mate, im having some issues here with this... see if you can help me :hmmm:

I've attached pictures to make life easier to explain.

on the opposite side of that plug you mentioned above... I see a brown wire.. but I see 2 of them and maybe a 3rd (not quite brown but yeah)..

am i looking at the right stuff - the wires also seem very thin which turned on alarms to saying their probably not it and before I go cutting anything... you know I think I should confirm :lock:

Attached Files: