Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Considering a MY12 VE SV6 with 210k on the clock.

Blazadin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
Here's all the service receipts.. Everything looks pretty good to me. Ive also rang the workshop and in their opinion cars got a lot more life in her.

There's another service log to be delivered as the owner moved and took the car to a new workshop. The Auto service has probably been done, but i'm waiting for confirmation in the most recent log.

If the car is full of sludge, how much would a clean out cost??

Attachments

• 64699km hidden.jpg
    64699km hidden.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 85055km hidden.jpg
    85055km hidden.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 98603km hidden.jpg
    98603km hidden.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 115219km hidden.jpg
    115219km hidden.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 110
  • 132664km hidden.jpg
    132664km hidden.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 149592km hidden.jpg
    149592km hidden.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 161842km hidden.jpg
    161842km hidden.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 179761km hidden.jpg
    179761km hidden.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 197277km hidden.jpg
    197277km hidden.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 213265km hidden.jpg
    213265km hidden.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 93

bgpzfm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTSS LS1 +2010 VE SV6 LLT ute +1990 VG V6 ute
A few things stood out to me -

- Air cleaner ought to be changed every 15K
- Power steering fluid ought to be flushed every 60K
- Auto trans fluid and filter ought to be done every 75K

I didn't see any of those items in these records.

With regards to engine oil -
as we know now 15k is too long it should be done every 7500k at least 2 oil changes per year so there will be sludge

Indeed. And those records show none done between 64K and 85K....

Sorry, but knowing what I know now, I'd avoid this one.

Is this workshop prepared to guarantee in writing that it won't need any more than regularly scheduled maintenance for the next 100K km, and repair / replace the engine at their cost if it goes boom? Well, then; let that be your guide.

Insofar at de-sludging goes, there's some good war stories on here about that. Mostly about LY7s, but they're similar to LFXs in many respects.

"Camchains/tensioners/guides replacement finished"
"My Sludge Adventure" (pictures have expired)
"3.6L Alloytec oil pressure and power issues" (pictures have expired)
"How do i Remove Sump whilst motor still in car?"

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
this is markovr vz he did the 15k oil changes using fully synthetic oil suffer the timing chain code and when he pull it apart the oil had turned to grease, heads front of the engine, sump this is his thread with pics https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-timing-chain.247164/

if it this bad and the ks between oil changes are more than 15000ks and mechanic saying its got an another 100ks that thing could grenade at any time you be looking at thousands

Blazadin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
this is markovr vz he did the 15k oil changes using fully synthetic oil suffer the timing chain code and when he pull it apart the oil had turned to grease, heads front of the engine, sump this is his thread with pics https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-timing-chain.247164/

if it this bad and the ks between oil changes are more than 15000ks and mechanic saying its got an another 100ks that thing could grenade at any time you be looking at thousands

Assuming it doesnt grenade. How much would a full engine washout cost?

Blazadin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
Also i think people may have misunderstood the 100k thing. He was refering with regular servicing, not just running the old car in to the ground for 100k's

bgpzfm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTSS LS1 +2010 VE SV6 LLT ute +1990 VG V6 ute

Blazadin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
At a guess, budget for 15 hours' labour, plus gaskets and parts.

This looks like a good deal for a fresh crate LFX though - I have no association with this business, this was suggested to me as a possible solution to my present LLT woes. Plus probably 6 hours' labour to R&R and fit ancilleries.

https://www.holmart.com.au/holden-commodore-ve-vf-lfx-3.6l-v6-motor-crate-lon

i saw that through my googling. I should point out, owner wants $8500 and i was planning to bring him down as much as possible and was already planning on putting the car through a top to toe oil flush and service. So im not adverse to putting a little money in especially considering most older VEs with a shop warranty are sitting at $14k. But it does blow my plans to take it to RevHigh if I bought it lol.

On the back end of this ive been googling like a mad man. Allegedly LFX fixed this issue? at least for the VF's and modern Camaro's. Though im coming to that conclusion because no matter how i type 'VF sludge/ LFX sludge' in to google, I find nothing. BUT of course, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I also bounced this idea off 2 mechanic family members and both gave me the full '20,00km? Modern SIDI?, full synth oil? as long as it hasnt lived in stop start or been thrashed within an inch of its life.. she'll be fine'

Blazadin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
Something i might point out having relooked over the receipts.. the car has been serviced pretty much every 5 months without fail, and the owner used to live in country Victoria.

Blazadin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
@bgpzfm So I got the final service report. After religious servicing at the previous service centre. The car racked up another 10k and then just sat in the drive way for a year. Also no mention of the auto being serviced, they took it to mycar who did the usual oil change and filling of consumables as well as fitted some cheap chinese tyres.....

At this rate im going to have to bail on the car unless they are willing to drop it to like $4k or less and the first thing ill do is get that crate LFX.

Sad.. thought i was going to get a bargain.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
@bgpzfm So I got the final service report. After religious servicing at the previous service centre. The car racked up another 10k and then just sat in the drive way for a year. Also no mention of the auto being serviced, they took it to mycar who did the usual oil change and filling of consumables as well as fitted some cheap chinese tyres.....

At this rate im going to have to bail on the car unless they are willing to drop it to like $4k or less and the first thing ill do is get that crate LFX.

Sad.. thought i was going to get a bargain.
Surprised to hear you leaving it. Sounds good. You didn't say the price so no idea of that. But your buying an older car with high kilometres, doesn't matter if its this one or the next, they will all need work. At least this one appears to have been managed by the book and is in good condition. All cars are a risk, new or old. If you want less risk pay more and get one with low kms, and then any manufacturing issues should have been sorted.