Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to Gas - any advice?

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
Well Got my VY home today after having Holden approved LPG system fitted. I was booked in and ready to pay $3350 thanks little Johnny for cutting it down to $1350, but I'd rather he bring the troops home.

Nice the way it uses the LCD dash display etc. Runs smoothly. Best part is filling up for $30. Should get about 400kms....we shall see.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
Hey Steve,

is your engine a V6 or V8? Did you get it done though Holden, or did they direct you to an installer?

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
look in the top right corner of your screen V6 :)

Holden approved installer. They install gas, then take it to a Holden dealer for ECU reprogram.

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Calling Stevie C - more details please!

Hey Steve,
It sounds like you have the best recent experience of fitting a Holden factory system. I've been pricing around and have received some conflicting stories, so can you answer some questions for me please.

1. LCD integration - just what does and doesn't work. Eg The fuel low display and sound - does it also work for the gas? And do the fuel economy & distance to empty displays also work for gas?

2. I've been told the factory kit switches back to petrol under load, so in effect you still use petrol, only less than before. One reason given is to keep the lubricating effect, but another guy told me it is stop backfiring, which the IMPCO system is prone to.

3. On the conversion that I saw (non factory), the petrol cap was cut down to about one thread so it would clear the gas filler. What do they do on the factory kit? I can't believe they would just cat down the cap, but do they fit a different petrol cap, or it the gas filler fitted so it clears the petrol cap?

I hope you dont mind answering this - possibly worth making it a sticky?
Cheers,
Paul.

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
greenbeam said:
Hey Steve,
It sounds like you have the best recent experience of fitting a Holden factory system. I've been pricing around and have received some conflicting stories, so can you answer some questions for me please.

1. LCD integration - just what does and doesn't work. Eg The fuel low display and sound - does it also work for the gas? And do the fuel economy & distance to empty displays also work for gas?

2. I've been told the factory kit switches back to petrol under load, so in effect you still use petrol, only less than before. One reason given is to keep the lubricating effect, but another guy told me it is stop backfiring, which the IMPCO system is prone to.

3. On the conversion that I saw (non factory), the petrol cap was cut down to about one thread so it would clear the gas filler. What do they do on the factory kit? I can't believe they would just cat down the cap, but do they fit a different petrol cap, or it the gas filler fitted so it clears the petrol cap?

I hope you dont mind answering this - possibly worth making it a sticky?
Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Some answers for you.

1. Low fuel & economy Lts/100km, with sound and a flashing LPG gas tank Icon appear on the LCD display. All the same as per petrol, but with an LPG tank icon instead of the petrol icon.

2. You are correct under "Heavy" engine load, (eg towing or really putting the boot in etc.) a small amount of fuel is injected to boost power. Normal driving uses gas only. It doesn't use petrol for cold starting and then switch to lpg like the toyota system. We have had some cold mornings and the car starts fine on gas only. It can obviously be started on petrol if your prefer, simply by the push of the button.

3. To fit the gas nozzle above the existing petrol cap requires a smaller shorter petrol cap. The installers supplied a smaller cap (not sure if Holden supplied it in the kit). The installer made a point of telling me it was a shorter petrol cap when I picked the car up.

He also said that although back fires are rare, they can be avoided as they happen on start up. Simply hold the starter a fraction longer when starting from gas to be sure the engine has started.

I have just about finshed the first tank of lpg, (I am going to run it out to see how far it goes) The dash is has beeped and warned LPG low with a flashing LPG icon, and 8km distance till empty. I've currently done 387kms on this first tank of gas and the LCD says 12.4lts/100. Not sure how accurate that is but the whole kit all seems well integrated. If you have and executive, with Mr Howards $2000, Why wouldn't you install the genuine Holden kit?

I'll Keep you posted...:thumbsup:
cheers

Steve

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Steve,
Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful.

One last question - you said "if you have an executive..."

I have a Berlina (V6). The only thing I can think of is the 3-window computer display. If the system can measure gas flow, then it should be able to work out the extras for the Berlina.

Why would it need to be an executive?
Cheers,
Paul.

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
Paul,
I have some vague feeling someone once said to me "Holden" factory gas was for Executives. I'm not sure if that's true or not. I'm sure a holden kit could be fitted on any VY V6, but weather it integrates with the LCD display in other models needs to be checked.
You will need to call a Holden approved installer to confirm or find out if Holden kit conversions on Belina's integrate with the LCD display as well.

Also, I forgot to mention in previous post that the Holden kit also uses the existing dash Fuel gauge for both LPG and petrol.

cheers

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
First tank of LPG results are in. 421kms 57.5lts LPG used about 13.65 lts /100kms = $27.54 to fill up

cheers

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
your better off getting a seperate gauge for the lpg its more accurate in reading than using the dash. i have a vy 5.7L gas kit on my vx car its a holden approved system and its on a seperate gauge for gas but it still does use the dash only thing it doesnt do on the dash is shows how much is left in the tank like the petrol does.