Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to Gas - any advice?

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
greenbeam said:
I have a Berlina (V6). The only thing I can think of is the 3-window computer display.

I had a flash of brilliance last night - RTFM! So I got out the glovebox manual and had a look for LPG. Nothing much more on the 3-window LCD readout, but I did find that traction control (when fitted) is disabled when you select LPG. I suspect it has to do with being able to control fuel flow to reduce engine power.

Steve, I did ask the guy at the factory LPG installer about my dash, but his reply of, "yeah it all works", was a bit too 'off the cuff' for me. Compare that with the advice from the non-factory conversion shop up the road, "No. Nothing on your LCD works even with factory kits", and you can see why I'm asking so many questions.

Thanks for your help, keep us informed, and happy (cheap) driving.
Cheers,
Paul (booked in for Feb 07 LPG conversion - sheesh!)

R

rorz

That all sounds good.

What do you guys recomend? Call my holden dealer in Melbourne and get the details of a reputable LPG installer.

I like others would like it to intergrate to the current LCD system and also have the LPG instake installed nicely next to the current petrol instake.

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
ok, now with people wanting to intergrate there gas system into the lcd display u must realise that ur reading isnt going to be exact, like it could be way off. my old car had the setup through the petrol gauge and all it, worked fine for a while then all of a sudden it got worst and worst it was that bad, that the gauge on the gas tank and the gauge on the dash was around 1/4 of a tank difference between the two. the holden impco system i have now, does intergrate a little but has a seperate gauge to show how much is left, which i prefer.

the only way its going to be either perfect or maybe a little tiny bit out is if the the car ecu was designed to read the gas system.

coldasice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 A4
I had an LPG system installed into my VN. I paid for one of the best systems and was happy with it.

Just one tip...keep up with the regular servicing of the system. I used to have mine done once a year. It just allows for checking of the mixtures etc.

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
Stevie C said:
First tank of LPG results are in. 421kms 57.5lts LPG used about 13.65 lts /100kms = $27.54 to fill up

cheers
I think we all need this
so basically its the same fuel usage but less then half the price,mine takmes 80 to fill and soes the same mileage

oxleigh

ox
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy11 exec LPG
LPG fuel figures

Evman said:
Anyone with a conversion have economy figures? V6 and/or V8? I know ya get worse economy with LPG, but the figures I've heard have varied hugelly. Thanks!
Gday mate, about fuel consumption for lpg, I have done 36,000 k's on lpg since last Sept. we just recently went from Wollongong to Canberra then to Boorowa, we recorded an average of 9.8l/100km on the way up at the speed limit with the cruise on all the way where we could, on the way back I was about 10km/hr under the limit to see what difference it made on the same roads, using cruise as well, suprise it went out to 10.4l/100km, at about 49.9c/ltre it cost about $5 per 100km. a small car on petrol cost about $10.00 per 100km or more for the same trip. around town its between 13 and 15l/100 km,way cheaper than petrol even though it uses a bit more. Best decision we ever made, the same power as OPTIMAX IN MY vy11 6 CYL WITH THE GENUINE HOLDEN KIT WE FITTED TO A ONE YEAR OLD CAR. Its paid for the conversion twice in 36,000 km the conversion cost $2,800, on the fuel savings alone. My system uses the standard lcd screen and shows the same as petrol for all readouts, the petrol gauge is used for both and is very acurate, read the owners manual, all systems work as designed, you must get the car computer flashed with the right software, there is some Holden stuff that is too early for the VY11, good luck mate, contact me at if you need any other info.
Ian

Last edited:

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
bennzy said:
the holden impco system i have now, does intergrate a little but has a seperate gauge to show how much is left, which i prefer.

Bennzy,
Tell us more. First off, where is the extra gauge mountedin your car, and what sort is it? The non-factory conversion I saw being done on a VT had a little cheesy switch & LED display mounted just under the headlight switch. Made no attempt to look anything like the rest of the interior, and the display was three LEDs (ie. full, 2/3, 1/3, all off for empty) - I think the factory gauge could at least tell me that much. I am guessing yours is better than that.

Secondly, I see you have a Berlina. Does the factory LPG work in with the extra features on your trip computer? For example, does it give you distance to empty for gas when you are running on gas? Was there any issue with fitting factory LPG to the Berlina (Steve said the factory kit might be meant only for Execs)?

Cheers,
Paul - booked in for factory gas: Feb 07 !!!

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
greenbeam - my gas mechanic has put the gauge in somewhere but it needs to be move im thinking of getting him to actually put it in the dash just under the buttons that are used for the cluster. its not exactly the best looking gauge i have but its better than the ones ive seen around. its an impco gauge. it only intergrates very little ive seen some holden factory ones and they are crap, i reckon i have a pretty good one.

the only thing i think it doesnt intergrate with is it doesnt say how much left in the tank from memory, but works with everything else. this system i have is only for a 5.7 and yes im having problems with it but waiting for the tech guy to look further into it. my system i have is for a vy 5.7 so it maybe why im having trouble. this is the second system in australia for a vx to have installed.

hopefully this week i can get pictures of the system i have to show people the only pic i will not be able to show is where the converter is.

jimbo39aus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive ex Cop
Vy11 Exec Lpg

G'day guys,
I have ordered and paid the deposit on the Holden approved Impco system for my VY11. sadly it may be up to 20 weeks they tell me before the kit is available, but hey, i can wait...hehehe...

For those who are not aware, the Impco system also includes new uprated rear springs to compensate for the tank in the boot.

However Holden do not approve of the fitment of the Impco system in cars fitted with FE2 suspension as the replacement springs are to replace standard hight springs.

As it happens i do have FE2 on my car but after talking with the installer have decided to go for it anyhow. I have also opted to have the Flashlube kit installed as well even though apparently it is not required for the VY11 V6.

The full intergration looks great and given the high rate of KLMs i travel it will pay for itself very quickly indeed. $3,100 all up fitted less lil Johnnys 2 grand back in my pocket cant be all that bad....hehehehe... :dance:

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Hey Stevie C,
could you possibly tell us some holden part numbers for the genuine holden kit
(It will probably be on your holden dealers invoice if you got it through them).

or to anyone else that may know of these details!!!

Cheers
Holdensupporter2005