Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to Gas - any advice?

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
TheJack, what model of the vy you have and is it 6 or a 8? because there is a guy in oakleigh that did a vy conversion in the vx of mine which was the 5.7L thought it ur interested can give address of there they are and you can check them out

rgv-bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
i bought my car two weeks ago (vy executive) and am getting it converted next week with a factory kit for $3600. Now they dont get any until after christmas. Managed to get one of the two kits that they had left.

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
ive thought about getting my car converted to lpg before but heard stories about the economy being very bad which made the whole thing not worthwile.

the figures provided by stevie c seem rather promising and the fact it intergrates so well into the vy sounds great, i never liked the idea of having a cheesy looking led gauge tacked to my dash so using the original gauge and having the DTG and other trip computer functions working is a real plus.

can anyone recommend an lpg place in perth who install this holden approved intergrated conversion?

jimbo39aus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive ex Cop
ive thought about getting my car converted to lpg before but heard stories about the economy being very bad which made the whole thing not worthwile.

the figures provided by stevie c seem rather promising and the fact it intergrates so well into the vy sounds great, i never liked the idea of having a cheesy looking led gauge tacked to my dash so using the original gauge and having the DTG and other trip computer functions working is a real plus.

can anyone recommend an lpg place in perth who install this holden approved intergrated conversion?

Do as i did and contact Impco directly and they will put you in touch with an installer local to you. Just check out their website for contact details.

I've had mine fitted for two weeks now and have done just over 3,000 klm, total cost of gas is less than $150! :dance:

I have not noticed any drop in performance at all but it does start a little slower than it used to. For the $$$$ saving i can live with it...

One thing that surprised me though is that the service's are now 10,000 klm apart rather than 15,000 klm and the spark plugs have to be changed every 20,000 klm.

It came with a new genuine Holden LPG service book.

Hope this helps....

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
G'day Folks,

Very interesting an informative thread this one. After doing research into the possibility of getting my VZ SV6 fitted with a factory approved LPG conversions kit I've given up, still pissed that Holden have made the alloytec engine that isn't compatible UNLESS you buy a factory fitted VZ exec. Heaps of non-approved kits out there using gas vapour but hearing stories about cylinder heads failing so it's put me off.

Considering trading the missus' X-Trail in and possibly getting a VY and will definately get it converted.

Any updates Stevie C and jimbo39aus with regards to performance a few months after the conversions and have either of you had any 'dramas' crop up?

Other question I have is, does the boot become total useless with the tank installed behind the rear seats, could you for example fit a pram inside?

fluxxx, try Imperial LPG in Cannington they do the Impco/Holden approved kit with the warranty and intergration into the dash electrics.

rgds

Tom/PER

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
G'day Folks,

Very interesting an informative thread this one. After doing research into the possibility of getting my VZ SV6 fitted with a factory approved LPG conversions kit I've given up, still pissed that Holden have made the alloytec engine that isn't compatible UNLESS you buy a factory fitted VZ exec. Heaps of non-approved kits out there using gas vapour but hearing stories about cylinder heads failing so it's put me off.

Considering trading the missus' X-Trail in and possibly getting a VY and will definately get it converted.

Any updates Stevie C and jimbo39aus with regards to performance a few months after the conversions and have either of you had any 'dramas' crop up?

Other question I have is, does the boot become total useless with the tank installed behind the rear seats, could you for example fit a pram inside?

fluxxx, try Imperial LPG in Cannington they do the Impco/Holden approved kit with the warranty and intergration into the dash electrics.

rgds

Tom/PER

I have a VN but the dimensions are very similar.
My gas tank is directly behind the back seat and does not encroach into the boot passed the rear shelf. Tank is 65 litres or so I have been told.
It would have to be a very large pram not to fit.
I can fit a rotary lawnmower with catcher and a 55 litre esky with no problem (Had cause to do this last week).

jimbo39aus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive ex Cop
G'day Tom,

Well, two months down the track and i'm still lovin it!....
I have just had the 10k service done after having it fitted and all is well.
Although i did have a problem with it last week when it backfired and blew off two vacuum hoses.

It was a very hot day and when returning to the car in the shopping centre car park i went to fire her up to get the air con going whilst loading the shopping into the boot. It fired once then kinda kicked back and thats when the backfire happened.

I have worked out that when both the engine and outside temp are very hot do not attempt to start it with the air con turned on and also use just a little throttle when starting and all is well.

It seems the extra load when starting it with the air on is the cause of most backfires because it had done it before under those conditions but only very little backfires and no damage done.

As for the boot size, i have an 80 litre tank and it does take up a fair amount of space but it is not an issue for me. However i imagine you would fit a pram in there.

Other than the backfiring thing i have had no dramas at all with the conversion and should have done it long ago!

I hope this is of some help to you Tom.

Regards,

Jimbo...
G'day Folks,

rgds

Tom/PER

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
ive had my vx gen3 gass'd for a while now and loving it, i do have a little drama at the moment but its fix able should be fixed on friday.

if u dont remember what system i have its the holden design impco 5.7L fuel injection system.

i thought i mite show you some pics of the actual system i have.

Attachments

• DSC01193 30x30.JPG
    DSC01193 30x30.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC01203 - 30x30.JPG
    DSC01203 - 30x30.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC01200 - 20x20.JPG
    DSC01200 - 20x20.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 237

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6

rgds

Tom/PER[/QUOTE]

A couple of months on all is fine. The only difference is that with LPG price down to 39-40c/lt it costs $21 for 420kms not $28!

Boot is still very usable even with the spare wheel. A cargo barrier is a great idea and very practical for Hols etc. I may chase down one of those temporary spares for a little extra space.
Last weekend we went from Mornington to Wilsons Prom and back, fully loaded 2 adults 2 teenagers, all you need to camp for 4 people boot with a cargo barrier packed to the roof, surfboards on roof racks, LPG ran out just as we returned to Mornington, still did 408kms for $21. I carried a full tank of petrol as well, and didn't even use it. What else can I say? Its great. Do it.:)

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Thanks for that Stevie C and many thanks for the pics bennzy.

I would love to convert my VZ SV6 over but this cylinder head failure issue after 50,000km is still a big turn-off..:(

I'm currently researching whether installing a upper lube kit would alleviate this problem.

Dr Bob or anyone else could advise??

I've seen a couple VZ's with after-market conversions over here in WA.

rgds

Tom/West Oz.