Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant mixed with oil in radiator

Luke Matei

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hi all,
Found out that the coolant is contaminated with engine oil in my vx.
Local mechanic said the valley cover gasket needs replacing prior to coolant flush.

Just wondering if the valley cover gasket is the same as intake manifold gasket?

Cheers Luke

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Yep sure is and a big job to replace properly, oil in the radiator coolant is from a faulty head gasket and again another enormous job to do while the top fuel and air assemblies are off.

Attachments

• Valley Gaskets.jpg
    Valley Gaskets.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 580

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
My intake manifold gasket was leaking oil into the cooling system, if you are handy with tools its not too hard a job, having the service manual helps.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I noticed the light brown sludge under radiator cap. Not sure how long it was like that. The car runs fine, the guages are normal. So it was only a random check under the radiator cap (because we usually fill the reservoir) and we saw the gunk.

Oil in the coolant?. It was a very thin oil in the coolant. Checked engine oil. It was OK, so we changed filter and Oil.

So the other oil is the Auto Transmission Fluid. Wasn't sure how that can get into the radiator, but someone on this forum suggested the Auto transmission pumps ATF into a brass tank that is built into the radiator. So I bypassed the radiator and used an external auto transmission cooler. The ATF doesn't go near the radiator now. I also replaced the auto transmission filter and fluid, which looked OK, no coolant in the auto pan. I ran the engine and watched the (now unused) connection points on the radiator and I noticed leaking fluid so it seems that was the problem. I just need a new radiator. I need to drive the car around so I blocked these connection points on the radiator and everything seems good now. I flushed the sludge out of the radiator. A week later, I noticed a bit of sludge in radiator. I ran tap water through the engine and radiator again to clean it out. Then a suggestion that the heater core might be contaminated from before, so I opened the heater while I flushed it again.

A week later I still notice a little bit of gunk in the radiator.

Why isn't it clean?

I read the thread about the inlet manifold gasket. So if it isn't one thing then it must be the other.
Or is it going to be both?

So if it isn't

Last edited:

sickboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Chev.. VT V6.. VY Wagon V6
Commonwhore always have slight sludge on cap.
As for Op intake gasket not that hard if ya confident. Pretty sure there's a how to on here. Just get a good quality kit.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
A mechanic once told me a good way to check on the ecotec to see if the intake gaskets need replacing is to check to see if the bolts are loose on the manifold. They are prone to doing it . Thats how i found out mine on my VX needed replacing . Not a hard job just time consuming

H

harrop.senator

2 easy ways one loose bolts to spray around the sealing surfaces with carby cleaner and see if its starts running different as if leaking will suck it into cylinders. They can leak without these two symptoms but usually have one.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
What was the second easy way?

Gasket reseal/conditioner and then tighten bolts?

I will search around for the "how to" because a gasket kit probably costs the same as gasket conditioner.

H

harrop.senator

Second easy way was checking for loose bolts like already mentioned sorry if post came across confusing.