Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cuts out mid drive!!

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman sII 5ltr 1995 & VE SS V8 Commodore
VR 1995 mod, 5ltr Statesman Sedan.
Ok im lost as now, replaced ignition module, fuel filter and fuel pump (internal in tank one). Also new battery that has gone now flat.
Checked codes have No 12 code so all good lol.
So wtf is the problem then.....

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Next replace coil ( check
the connections ). Then distribitor or rather the hall
effect sensor in the distrib.
( should really take it to a mechanic with a scope and find out what the exact problem is before throwing more parts at it )
Of course if its intermittent all you can do is replace parts till its fixed unfortunately.

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Next replace coil ( check
the connections ). Then distribitor or rather the hall
effect sensor in the distrib.
( should really take it to a mechanic with a scope and find out what the exact problem is before throwing more parts at it )
Of course if its intermittent all you can do is replace parts till its fixed unfortunately.
Just owning this car for just over 1 week the previous owner said he replaced ign coil (msd coil mounted infront of passenger side on firewall) 3 months ago.. i thought of the coil lead from the distributer looked alittle oldish and the coil itself did not feel warm to the touch mmmm to replace this lead is unavailable till Monday.
I will check dizzy (HES) in the morning if its not these well yes next step tow to a Mechanic thanks heaps for your advice

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
I've had this problem and it turned out to be a relay (found after replacing all the other expensive parts first). Find your EFI relay, fuel pump relay etc.. and swap them around with horn or headlight relays as long as they're the same type.. see if that makes any difference.

Try replacing BCM also, they can shut off EFI via immobilizer.. or if you have an aftermarket immobilizer, could be that..

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've had this problem and it turned out to be a relay (found after replacing all the other expensive parts first). Find your EFI relay, fuel pump relay etc.. and swap them around with horn or headlight relays as long as they're the same type.. see if that makes any difference.

Try replacing BCM also, they can shut off EFI via immobilizer.. or if you have an aftermarket immobilizer, could be that..
Cheers for your reply.

I did swap fuel pump relay around with no change but will check others that you noted this arvo. Also i noticed the car alarm went off (very quietly beeps) this might be caused from reconnection of battery? So stumped since replacing fuel filter etc have issues grrrrrrr!!
Thanks for your advice

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
I'd also be checking your earth wires to the block just in case.

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride

Ive just found out what the BCM is: I had a guy who does keys for Magrath Holden come to my home he cut a new key for me as there was only 1 given when bought 2 weeks ago and it was in bad shape mmmm could this be my problem that he stuffed up the system now??? @Blackwolf101

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Have you swapped the HES
yet ?
And are you getting spark ?

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Making up a new key wouldn't stuff it up, but when you said you have an alarm in it which beeps.. that's not a Holden fitted one. You should check the big cables coming off the ignition switch and see if whoever has installed the alarm used the ignition wires or starter wires as method for the immobilizer. Quite often with the engine cutting out it can be that. If they've cut the pink wire (ignition) to use for immobilizer, join the two ends of pink back together wherever it's cut under the steering wheel to see if it will fix problem. If they used the purple wire (starter) you can leave it as is as you don't have a problem with the starter side of things.

Also, does it take a while before it cuts out? (like once it warms up etc) And when it does cut out, can you start it back up immediately or do you have to wait a while, like to cool down etc.

And yes, check the negative connection to engine, as well as where the negative thick wire of the battery is bolted to the chassis of the car.