Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

day/work licenses

Benjamien.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 factory Manual VU S
Hey all,
Im wondering if there is any sort of day or work license/permit for an L plater working a full time job?
its getting hard for my father to wake up 4am everyday and sit with me to work then drive back, and pick me up ect. And its costing alot more than it should (fuel).
Thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Ask your local state member.
Who is it?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Enquire with your state registration/licencing department...I am sure there is something in place for this scenario

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure how other states work but in Tas you can sit your P test early if you have to get to work. If you pass then you can get your Ps early. It requires a support letter from the employer and you have to apply and need to be approved.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Google fu says:

If you have been charged with a drink or drug driving offence in Queensland you may be entitled to apply for a work licence. A work licence (also sometimes spelt work license) is also known as a restricted licence, workers licence, section 87 licence or day licence.​

So it seems as a learner trying to get to work doesn’t qualify you for a work or day licence... But you may be able to get an exemption for logbook requirements, ot that i5 would help in any way.

If you believe you have a need to be exempted from the logbook requirement, you may apply by completing the Exemption from logbook requirements Application form F4469. An application fee will apply. This fee is non-refundable, except under special circumstances.​

Other than that, you can’t even get a motorbike learners at 16 yo in QLD as you have to have your P’s license for 12 months before you're even allowed to apply for a motorbike learners.

If you want to learn to ride a motorcycle, you must apply for an RE learner licence. To get your RE learner licence, you need to: hold a provisional or open car licence and have held the licence for at least 1 year. This makes sure you have on-road driving experience before you learn to ride.​

Sadly not many options available to you :eek:

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, getting a car or bike license was easy... seems much more complicated now with courses, log books and 100 hours of documented training :rolleyes:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Can you get a scooter license? Over here you can get a scooter license if it's under 50cc at 16. Ride it for 12 months then go straight to green P's, no red P's.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Google foo tells me you can ride a moped (under 50cc & <= 50 kph max speed) on a C lass license in Queensland. That is you have to be licensed to drive a car before you you can ride a moped (and you can’t carry a passenger on the moped).

If you want to learn to ride a motorbike, it really seems in Queensland you need to have a C class license and then apply for a RE license (which restricts to moped & LAMS approved motorbike). If you want to ride a big bike, you need C & R class stamped on your licence.

No special considerations for 15 yo’s putting around on mopeds it seems...

Getting licences these days is just so much more complex and costly than it ever was...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
No special considerations for 15 yo’s putting around on mopeds it seems
It says he is 21.
My old man would of told me to either get a push bike & ride or you have feet, what the fuc#ks wrong with walking.
I've got better things to do than drive you around. You got the job, your responsibility to get there.
By this stage, l realised he really meant no. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regardless of age, which was only mentioned simply because apprentices used to start to learn their trade at 15, the rules in QLD seem rather oppressive in many ways. Lots of other countries let kids ride mopeds without issues.

As for comments from the old man, I’d have gotten the same with a clip across the back of the head for my presumption :p

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Is there no public transport