Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dceivdu's new 5 litre!

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Cheaper to just get your heads skimmed etc than buying new heads (unless you can get them dirt cheap, and if u can then there is probably something wrong with them)

Remember the VT's are a roller motor, so as far as I know you would need a roller cam and roller lifter not the standard flat tappet lifters and cam setup.

It doesn't cost much to get headwork done to yours so just go that way (a good set of VT heads will probably be $4-500)

Go to Leon at awesome automotive, he is the only tuner in Adelaide I would trust with my car (he is widely renowned as one of the best V6/5L tuners in the country, people bring cars from all over to see him), you can't call him though, he is so busy he won't answer....you need to drop by and see him

thanks for clearing that up, i had an inkling that would be the case, wasnt sure though. i thought skimming the heads would be around the same price range as the VT heads (4-$500) ill get that sorted. Awesome automotive will be my next stop when all is sorted with the car. do you know any rough figures for a tune for the cam?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
thanks for clearing that up, i had an inkling that would be the case, wasnt sure though. i thought skimming the heads would be around the same price range as the VT heads (4-$500) ill get that sorted. Awesome automotive will be my next stop when all is sorted with the car. do you know any rough figures for a tune for the cam?

I haven't had it done for a while but last time I got it done it was around $450 and that included new valves/seals, springs etc. (but the skimming alone is pretty cheap)

So for what you are getting is much better than buying say 250,000km old VT heads that will be almost ####ed......even then the VT heads will up the compression a little but not enough for a 286.

I would say you would probably pay around the $750-850 mark for a decent tune to suit the cam (which is a standard price for most dyno tunes by a reputable tuner, a tune is something you don't want to cheap out on or you could be up for another engine haha)

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok that sounds like i will be waiting until E.F.Y for the tune which is fine as it gives me some time to concentrate on the bottom end rebuild, Aero kit, skimming and the cam to be put in. I also have to get the diff sorted with a new gasket i reckon, which brings me to another question. i have a little orange rubber seal looking thing that i was told is for the diff... could that be a pinion seal?

Thanks again someguy360, I cant wait to have this done and take it back on the streets for a nice just commodores cruise provided we get the numbers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
back on the streets for a nice just commodores cruise provided we get the numbers

I think you could spent the next 5 years building the car before another JC cruise rolls around haha.

And yes that sounds like a pinion seal.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think you could spent the next 5 years building the car before another JC cruise rolls around haha.

And yes that sounds like a pinion seal.

do many of us do the C4C? id like to be on that one year.

Thought it was the pinion seal, that could very well be why the diff unloaded as the guy i bought it off said the diff needed that little orange thing haha. shows im still learning bits as i go, half the fun however

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
if it was anywhere in sa id drive to ya lol assuming the engine and trans are affordable :p

I had 5L, auto, ecu, wiring, exhaust to the cat. Auto cooler and lines. Think there may be extras. All for 700 on eBay. 1 watch and no bids in 2 10 day auctions..

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
do many of us do the C4C? id like to be on that one year.

Thought it was the pinion seal, that could very well be why the diff unloaded as the guy i bought it off said the diff needed that little orange thing haha. shows im still learning bits as i go, half the fun however

I usually do C4C Victoria (much bigger/better than the SA one)

I usually do the Barossa cruise for a cause in SA which runs on the same day as C4C SA but has lots of quality cars (muscle, exotic, domestic etc) instead of some bogans in commodore doing skids and causing trouble.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
I usually do C4C Victoria (much bigger/better than the SA one)

I usually do the Barossa cruise for a cause in SA which runs on the same day as C4C SA but has lots of quality cars (muscle, exotic, domestic etc) instead of some bogans in commodore doing skids and causing trouble.

That sounds good, the barossa cruise that is. Might look into it.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had 5L, auto, ecu, wiring, exhaust to the cat. Auto cooler and lines. Think there may be extras. All for 700 on eBay. 1 watch and no bids in 2 10 day auctions..

Bargain. Wish I was in vic haha. All the good parts are there