Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dceivdu's new 5 litre!

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Yeah, 5 liters are built for burnout and doughnuts....

This one must not be a very good 5l then as I still havent done a burnout or doughnuts since purchase. Spun the wheels a couple times but that would make my engine p*ss weak if thats what caused the bottom end knock

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Poor maintenance generally leads to bottom end issues in the V8's

The V8 bottom end is tough as nails but when maintained poorly the oiling system tends to let go causing a lack of oil pressure which kills the motor.

Same thing happened to me, when the oil pickup get carbon/sludge build up you can expect 10psi or less oil pressure.

Last edited:

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Poor maintenance generally leads to bottom end issues in the V8's

The V8 bottom end is tough as nails but when maintained poorly the oiling system tends to let go causing a lack of oil pressure which kills the motor.

Same thing happened to me, when the oil pickup get carbon/sludge build up you can expect 10psi or less oil pressure.

Thanks for the info, had no idea that could be the cause. Im planning to book the car in next week. Fingers crossed

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks for the info, had no idea that could be the cause. Im planning to book the car in next week. Fingers crossed

Happens to most 5 litres as they get older, people use cheap oils and do long service intervals which cause the sludge to build, and because the 5L had an undersized pickup for an engine it's size it blocked easily.

I only use Penrite HPR30 (which all the AussieV8 forum 304/308 guys use) and change it every 5000km......I wouldn't put anything other than HPR30 in a 304

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Happens to most 5 litres as they get older, people use cheap oils and do long service intervals which cause the sludge to build, and because the 5L had an undersized pickup for an engine it's size it blocked easily.

I only use Penrite HPR30 (which all the AussieV8 forum 304/308 guys use) and change it every 5000km......I wouldn't put anything other than HPR30 in a 304

Once I get a new motor sorted ill be sure to get that oil put in and from there on after

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
still not in the shop but I got a few things...

Mechanic hasnt found me a new motor yet so still waiting to book it in. But that hasnt stopped me picking up some new bits for it. Firstly is a brand new crane 286 cam and lifters to match. Scored it for a great deal. I have some questions however. Can i run that in my car with no other mods/parts required? Also are they easy enough to install yourself if you are mechanically minded?

Next little treat is i am ditching the sv 5000 kit in favour of the rest of the genuine aero kit that i managed to talk my brother in law into selling to me.

Will post pics as soon as i can

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Mechanic hasnt found me a new motor yet so still waiting to book it in. But that hasnt stopped me picking up some new bits for it. Firstly is a brand new crane 286 cam and lifters to match. Scored it for a great deal. I have some questions however. Can i run that in my car with no other mods/parts required? Also are they easy enough to install yourself if you are mechanically minded?

Next little treat is i am ditching the sv 5000 kit in favour of the rest of the genuine aero kit that i managed to talk my brother in law into selling to me.

Will post pics as soon as i can

A 286 NEEDS higher compression, so the heads will have to be skimmed and (ideally) ported (and at the same time new valve springs)....you will also need a tune so there goes another $550 minimum (a good dyno tune will be around $800), the car needs to be tuned for the cam, it will not run on the factory tune with a cam as aggressive as a 286 (Don't waste your money on a MACE memcal or ebay memcal as they are still for stock engines not high compression cammed motors)

It's not a job for a beginner and you need to buy tools to dial them in. (and the head work will have to be done by a machinist/engine builder)

A 286 will also be a little doughy on an auto so good idea to get 3.45 ratio or better gears for the rear end.