Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead VG Ute

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
For vn/p easier to rig up a permanent earth switch in glove box to (diagnostics) white/black trace wire...flick switch codes come up.

Vr/s split pin,old speaker wire or anything that will bridge pins 5 & 6....then teach owner how to check fault codes themselves.

Wow....Sounds like they spit codes out pretty often if you have to go to that length!!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Cars are old & often poorly maintained or not looked after at all.

If teach new owners how to do it usually saves them time/money & less headaches for me haha

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Cars are old & often poorly maintained or not looked after at all.

If teach new owners how to do it usually saves them time/money & less headaches for me haha

Yes the previous owner wasn’t the most fastidious owner, if you get my drift. I’m trying to get it up to being ultra reliable as I will be doing about 1,000k a week in it. I have spent quite a bit on it already & still have more to do. It has an oil leak that I will have to track down as well. I’m considering pulling the motor to put a new sump on as well as it has been pretty mangled from hitting something solid. I’ll replace the clutch at the same time.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah ended up rebuilding my poorly maintained $900 jalopy from 2nd hand scraps...when clutch let go the amount of work required + the cost ended up going v8 auto for not much more.

If it was auto would've kept it v6 powered.

Underestimated the amount of hours it needed by a mile lol

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Yeah ended up rebuilding my poorly maintained $900 jalopy from 2nd hand scraps...when clutch let go the amount of work required + the cost ended up going v8 auto for not much more.

If it was auto would've kept it v6 powered.

Underestimated the amount of hours it needed by a mile lol

They soak up your time & money that’s for sure. I only paid $500 for mine but have spent a couple grand on it so far, that’s with rego & roady.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
image.jpg

Ok guys, just an update on the old girl. I bought a MAP sensor & in the process of switching them over I found what was most likely the problem.

When I took the whole intake off to do the thermostat & clean out all the intake of carbon build up it looks like I have somehow sliced the vacuum hose going to the MAP. No doubt this will be the fuelling issue. I’m just replacing a couple of more sensors I got just in case so they are all new & I will take it for a lap & see what happens. Just an ID10T error I believe.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Well I put a new hose on & took it for a lap & it stalled at the first intersection I came to. Usual thing foot to the floor to get it to start & pissed & farted for a bit then off we went again. I red lined it in every gear & it hasn’t done it since but still holds a high idle for a bit then settles to a normal idle. I think I’ll put the new TPS on just in case it’s playing up. This is a never ending saga. I done the paper clip thing yesterday & it came up 12, much to my annoyance & have just done it again now & it won’t come up with anything, just sits there gloating.....

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Well I put a new hose on & took it for a lap & it stalled at the first intersection I came to. Usual thing foot to the floor to get it to start & pissed & farted for a bit then off we went again. I red lined it in every gear & it hasn’t done it since but still holds a high idle for a bit then settles to a normal idle. I think I’ll put the new TPS on just in case it’s playing up. This is a never ending saga. I done the paper clip thing yesterday & it came up 12, much to my annoyance & have just done it again now & it won’t come up with anything, just sits there gloating.....
High idle after a flat out run is classic IAC valve failure, I've had it happen even after installing a brand new ebay el cheapo IAC. A genuine Delphi IAC installed (length checked &set) and calibrated with a high speed engine run fixed the problem.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
High idle after a flat out run is classic IAC valve failure, I've had it happen even after installing a brand new ebay el cheapo IAC. A genuine Delphi IAC installed (length checked &set) and calibrated with a high speed engine run fixed the problem.

Ok then , I’ll try a new one but I was sure I got a Delphi to replace the old one. I started it this morning & it ran good & I turned it off after a couple minutes. I waited another few minutes & started it again & it didn’t want to run, kept dying when i touched the throttle. It came good after a while but I can’t trust it to take it anywhere.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
"started it again & it didn’t want to run, kept dying when i touched the throttle" that's not the IAC. A bad IAC will cause high idle after a high speed run because it can't reset to the required low air flow. Your problem sounds fuel related but if you try another IAC make sure you retract it enough (surface of the valve to the tip of the pintle less than 28mm) when you install it and either set it by running the engine at 2500 rpm for at least 20 seconds-in the garage or driving around.