Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Decicrates VS L67 T56 'S' Pack

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
What a last 7 days.

Pulled the blower off and rebuilt it using new snout bearing and seal and replace the rotor pack with a light weight version from MACE.
While the blower was off I dropped the extractors and removed the rocker covers so I could re tension the heads.
I also fitted some new rear springs, again, finally got around to fitting my rear brake bias adjuster and fitted a set of adjustable caster arms from Suspension Concepts.

After I finished, I took the car for a wheel alignment. Got a phone call from Brian telling me he was having a nice warm shower while standing under my car with the engine running.
Got the alignment finished and picked up the car, put it up on the hoist and sure enough there was water pissing out between the block and the head on the drivers side.

So rang around, found that no one had the .045 MLS gaskets, but MACE has a set of .065 MLS, this was Thursday afternoon.
Steve got a set overnighted to me.
So then off with the complete top end and whacked in a new set of head gaskets so I can go to Mt Cotton next weekend and Norwell the weekend after.

Having to pull things off twice in 7 days is an absolute pain in the bum.

On the upside, the blower is now quieter than it has ever been and the water is no longer getting pushed out of the radiator under boost!!!!!

The front end feels quite a bit sharper with 12.5 deg of caster and with the new rear spring I have the car sitting just nice again.
Just need to dial in the rear brakes and all should be good!

One really cool thing about pulling the heads off was to see what they looked like after a couple of months on E85. The combustion chambers, valves and piston tops all had a slight black tinge to them, but there was no carbon at all. They all looked like that they have had only a few minutes of running!!

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
thinking of dropping an l67 with a t56 into my vy although it says you need 3.9 or 4.11 diff gears... just wondering how it goes with the 3.45 gears in it?

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
thinking of dropping an l67 with a t56 into my vy although it says you need 3.9 or 4.11 diff gears... just wondering how it goes with the 3.45 gears in it?

I originally ran 3.08 for quite some time, it was quite fun in a way, first was good for about 75kph and you never got to use 6th gear, at 100kph it was doing something like 1300 rpm.

I then changed to 3.9 and found that all it wanted to do was buzz the tyres it was however a lot more snappier.
I then changed to 3.45 and have found that they are a nice compromise, for the amount of torque that my engine generates.

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
hey mate any chance you could shed some info on the gearbox conversion? cost, dramas ect..

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
in'a cage <3

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
hey mate any chance you could shed some info on the gearbox conversion? cost, dramas ect..

Hey mate, mine was not too bad to do as it was originally a GETRAG 5 speed before the conversion.

My conversion cost just over $7000.00, but it is not a standard T56, it is a Road Race box from Mal Woods.
You can get the kit a bit cheaper now especially if you use a standard T56.

Dramas, there were a few of them. I fitted the box myself and found that I had to make a few changes to make it all fit. A bolt in kit is not always a straight bolt in!!!!

I was very lucky and had the engine out of the car when I bought the kit. I did a dummy fit out of the car and found that the DiFillipo extractors were going to foul on the adapter and on the bell housing. So out with the grinder and make a few mods to get the exhaust to pass.
The plate were the shifter comes through the floor needs to be moved forward and there need to be a little bit of massaging to the console for the gear stick to clear.

To fit and remove the box you need to remove the box from the bell housing first, as in a VS there is not enough room to get it all out or in, as a single unit.
Doing it with out a hoist would be extremely difficult as the box weighs about 70KG.

I also found the need to space the gear box mount down to get the right alignment for the tail shaft, this was the case before I even fitted K Frame spacers.

You will need to install a speedo correction box to get the speedo right again and depending on what box you had previously, you may need to have the tune file adjusted to manual and the PPK adjusted to suit.

Other than that, it was pretty easy LOL!!!!

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
A series of holding the front wheel off the ground at Mt Cotton
Ase_2933.jpg
attachment.php

ASE_2934.jpg
attachment.php

Ase_2935.jpg
attachment.php

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
What my Sunday is going to consist of.

TRACKDAY3.jpg

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Had a great day at the Hardtuned track day at Norwell. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

I was glad that I was not the only Commodore out there amongst all the Jap cars. This was the first event, track day that I have seen another L67!!!!! I could not beleive it!!!!

I am hoping that they will post the times in the next couple of days to see where I came overall.
The best time for the day was set by Troy in his EVO 6 with a 1:01.2, the best I could mange was a 1:03.5, so I am hoping that it might of been enough for the top ten, fingers crossed, It maybe close to top 5!.

I had some issues with the iphone overheating and shutting down throughout the day, but I did get some laps of the the non timed session later in the afternoon. By the time this session had come around I had used all the goodness that my slicks had to offer and they were starting to get pretty greasy by the end. When I pulled the pin and came in, I found the rear left had started to de-laminate and the right rear had blisters on it.

The trip home got a little tense about 15KM from home, looks like I have stuffed another center bearing or the CV on the tail shaft again. D'OH!!
I have some more laps that I have to do the overlay on then I will upload them

Last edited by a moderator: