Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
so got my car defected tonight for the rear tyres being bold, which is kinda lucky so far because I’m on my ps and have a turbo. I didn’t have my wallet because I lost it the night before and they checked with no mention after they check there sht. My problem is when I take it to get checked for the tyres am I fucked with the turbo? I have a boost gauge I can remove to make it less obvious but I have a bad feeling they will check under the hood, am I correct to think I’m fked or if I get the tyres sorted I could possibly get away with it? (Not registered as a turbo btw)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Does the un roadworthy certificate say you need a full roadworthy ticked in one of the check boxes near the bottom the last few Ive seen have .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@KalebM did you mean bold tyres = sitting proud of the vehicle body or bald tyres = tread below legal limits o_O I think the later and blame it on autocorrect ;)

I’d have thought the police would have explained the whole defect process to you when they issued the notice (trust you were listening). I’d also have thought that the defect notice should have included some statement that you can drive the car for a give period OR you can’t drive it at all and it must be trailered home and/or to a place of repair. I’d also have thought there must be some statement on the notice itself how the defect could be cleared.

But if the police were nice enough to let you drive away, and in your case it seems they were nice enough since they chose not to go over the car in detail, then it’s usually enough to just fix the listed defect issue, get a roadworthy done and present the roadworthy to the rego authorities (where the take some money from you and clear the defect notice). Not all defects require the rego authority to inspect the vehicle.

The problem you may have could be that as the vehicle is not registered as a turbo, and it’s likely a no factory install with “bling”, even getting a roadworthy may prove to be a problem unless you have engineering docs for the mod. It’s the same problem if the rego authority require that they inspect the vehicle as they’ll go from bumper to bumper and notice the non standard turbo install. Either way you may be done. At least you weren’t done for driving a turbo as a P-plater (yet).

My suggestion is ring up your state rego authority and ask them what needs to be done, then chat to a mechanic who does roadworthy’s and see what will come of it? Maybe the mechanic that did the turbo install should be the mechanic you approach for your roadworthy?

Good luck with it, you may need it.

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
@KalebM did you mean bold tyres = sitting proud of the vehicle body or bald tyres = tread below legal limits o_O I think the later and blame it on autocorrect ;)

I’d have thought the police would have explained the whole defect process to you when they issued the notice (trust you were listening). I’d also have thought that the defect notice should have included some statement that you can drive the car for a give period OR you can’t drive it at all and it must be trailered home and/or to a place of repair. I’d also have thought there must be some statement on the notice itself how the defect could be cleared.

But if the police were nice enough to let you drive away, and in your case it seems they were nice enough since they chose not to go over the car in detail, then it’s usually enough to just fix the listed defect issue, get a roadworthy done and present the roadworthy to the rego authorities (where the take some money from you and clear the defect notice). Not all defects require the rego authority to inspect the vehicle.

The problem you may have could be that as the vehicle is not registered as a turbo, and it’s likely a no factory install with “bling”, even getting a roadworthy may prove to be a problem unless you have engineering docs for the mod. It’s the same problem if the rego authority require that they inspect the vehicle as they’ll go from bumper to bumper and notice the non standard turbo install. Either way you may be done. At least you weren’t done for driving a turbo as a P-plater (yet).

My suggestion is ring up your state rego authority and ask them what needs to be done, then chat to a mechanic who does roadworthy’s and see what will come of it? Maybe the mechanic that did the turbo install should be the mechanic you approach for your roadworthy?

Good luck with it, you may need it.
They did kind of explain but was more that I take it to the cop station they will explain and if there is anything else I need to fix before going you might want to do it first.
Yeah I ment bald and i installed the turbo by myself with a few hands now n then, and what it’s got on the defect sheet is repairs required are just the wheels/tyres ticked.
Talked to a mate who said because it’s only the cop station and it’s just for tyres they shouldn’t pop the bonnet so got my fingers crossed

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
What state are you in?, the process is different everywhere

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok I can help with SA, if the paperwork says you need to present the vehicle to regency inspection station (which is 90% of defect cases), it will be a full check of every nut and bolt on that car, not just checking tyres.

Very very few people pass the first time as most 'normal' wear on mechanical components (bushes, suspension, brakes etc) will get knocked back. You basically need to get the car to showroom fresh condition to pass and remove any mods. Our inspection stations are government run with government inspectors and we don't get through as easily as the mechanic/workshop based roadworthy system of the eastern states.

By the sound of it you have a turbo on a car thats not meant to have a turbo, all that will have to come off and the car will essentially need to be stock for you to even have a chance of passing, the inspection takes around 1 hour so that shows the level of detail they go to.

If you have any worn components (even a little worn), any oil leaks etc you will need to get them fixed.

I've seen people failed in SA for small tears in seats, low fluid level in the windscreen washer bottle, window tint (even dealer supplied).

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
By the sounds of it, the defect is just for tyres, which means it will go to the cop shop, where they will check the tyre condition and providing they are good, they will take you inside, lighten your wallet, remove the sticker and send you on your way.

If they busted you with the turbo conversion, you wouldn't have been allowed to drive the car home, due to your licence conditions and the car would have been towed, with a defect for a full inspection.

So to answer the question....You can leave the turbo there, because all the coppers will check is the tyre condition and send you on your way

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
By the sounds of it, the defect is just for tyres, which means it will go to the cop shop, where they will check the tyre condition and providing they are good, they will take you inside, lighten your wallet, remove the sticker and send you on your way.

If they busted you with the turbo conversion, you wouldn't have been allowed to drive the car home, due to your licence conditions and the car would have been towed, with a defect for a full inspection.

So to answer the question....You can leave the turbo there, because all the coppers will check is the tyre condition and send you on your way
Awesome cheers man

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They did kind of explain but was more that I take it to the cop station they will explain and if there is anything else I need to fix before going you might want to do it first....
This is an odd statement as the police seem to be say they will check more than just tyres, so it would be prudent for you to fix all issues before presenting the car. It may be they were being nice and giving you a heads up you could be stung for more issues.
Yeah I ment bald and i installed the turbo by myself with a few hands now n then, and what it’s got on the defect sheet is repairs required are just the wheels/tyres ticked.
Talked to a mate who said because it’s only the cop station and it’s just for tyres they shouldn’t pop the bonnet so got my fingers crossed
It may be that some police districts in S.A. are slacker than other police districts so i’ll defer to what your mate said. But I do hope it all goes well and the cop doing the check hasn’t had a **** day and decides to take it out on you,.. by doing a thorough check and popping the bonnet. If he does you could still be done for the turbo and driving it on your P’s, maybe even having it towed, though it sounds less likely based on what others have said.

Good luck with it and may be wise to easy up on the burnouts (if that’s why you had bald tyres).