Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So I pulled the indicator stalk switch apart and back together a few times, adding custom shim plates to aid pressure (no luck), so will try pull the electric contact panel apart (riveted) and see what can be done.
In the midst of that I pulled the sump off because I suspected the dipstick reading to be false. And as these scratches show, I was correct in thinking that the dipstick was bending across the windage tray.
1657522870189.jpg

But what I didn't realise was that the dent in the bottom of one of the custom wings on the sump had pushed in a bit at the top causing a ramp for the dipstick to bend across which would push it to the windage tray. Also noting the pan rail is not flat (which might be a leak contribution).
Anyway, I think I will cut the wing open, pull the dent out, and stitch the wing closed at about a 3rd the size.
Only risk is if I do mad doughies to the right (lol impossible anyway) or drive through a large left side hole or hillside (would probably tip over first) and starve of oil.
Proposed pie cut arrows and good shot of dent:
received_631152158416816.jpeg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Clean/degreased the inside, Pie cut the wing, bashed at the dent (I don't think it moved much, and I don't have a slide hammer to work from the outside), folded it up, and welded it up, leak checked it, touch up weld.
Priced a gasket, then cleaned and used the scraggly old one, loctite no3 aviation sealant on both sides. Hooked gasket to pan with big spring clips harvested from the old oven disassembly last week, offered it up and 28 bolts to hold it in place (2 broken bolts blocked two holes, and one was still obstructed by wing) but that is a couple extra than what came out.
received_551984146620466.jpeg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Will be satisfying if it does.

That will go back together ok with some screws, yeah?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Half put back together, dropped a small spring, searched everywhere, walked away, came back, big LED light, searched again. FOUND IT - basically right by my feet where I had already looked 15 times.
Anyway, got it all together (pressed together, no fasteners), tested it.
LH indicator works, RH indicator plays hazard light.

Oh well, better than no RH. Guess I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Oh, sorry, used contact cleaner inside switch, and soldered closed the hole in one of the pads.
1658654176941.jpg

Then reassembly.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is there something else that can lend itself to the job?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I could fit a generic 3 way switch with indicator light. But would rather get this unit working.
Just remembered that I also have a series 3 switch.
But that would be ugly on it too. Although it does include horn and high/low all on the one switch.