Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnostic tool/engine like blown

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
Hey guys. I followed the how to for finding error codes for my vr 5L. I've 100% done it correctly but nothing. I suspect my engine light is fucked. Would explain why its never shown a check engine like the entire time I've owned it. Does anyone have a recommended brand/type of diagnostic cable/tool that can plug in and show me the errors. Don't need anything fancy. Cheers

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Contact Envyous Customs. You will need a laptop to use it. It's about the cheapest way to check codes and log engine data. Tunerpro should also work but it's not as user friendly as AED.

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
Contact Envyous Customs. You will need a laptop to use it. It's about the cheapest way to check codes and log engine data. Tunerpro should also work but it's not as user friendly as AED.
Legend. Thank you. Just ordered a cable with software included from envyous customs. Cheers

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I suspect my engine light is fucked.
Pull the cluster out & check the bulb? If good then you'll know its not that?

I suspect that there is something else stoping the error codes from displaying?

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
The check engine light should come on when you first turn the ignition on with all the other warnings lights. If not then it is most likely the globe. A previous owner may have removed it to cover a fault they didn't want to delay with.

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
The check engine light should come on when you first turn the ignition on with all the other warnings lights. If not then it is most likely the globe. A previous owner may have removed it to cover a fault they didn't want to delay with.
100% agreed. It doesn't come up when ignition it first turned on. I completely missed it when I bought the car. Intentional or not, it had been sitting for 6 plus years before I bought it so its just one more thing to add to the long list of repairs

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
Hey guys, didn't realise you could change bulbs without removing dash/cluster. Switched the blown engine light bulb with a working one and success got the errors 31 34 43.
The reason I was looking into it was because it's fouling plugs waaaayyy to fast. 34 is map sensor. Does this make sense as to why it would be fouling/running rich/lean(not sure which one, pretty sure rich)?
Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited: