Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Gears ???

SLE Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi all i know this may have already been covered somewhere, but i need some advice/information on which Diff to purchase. I have a 84 VH/SLE which originally had a 253 in it so i belive the diff is a single spinner Sailsbury 2:78 ratio (please correct me if i am wrong) i have since put a warmed up 308 in it with a Crane 286 cam, edelbrock performer manifold, slightly ported and polished, rebuilt and modified quaddy and a few other bits and pieces. So its time to get the diff sorted out and i was thinking a Borg Warner Lsd with 3:7 gears. I have phoned around a few places and they reckon the Borg is only good for a approx 300HP engine.

They recommended that if you (in the future) are going to do any more engine work eg stroker then the 9 inch LSD with 3:7 gears will be a lot tougher and last alot longer. Keep in mind that this car is my hobby and purely a weekend car, i dont drag it or thrash it, so what sort of set up would any of you recommend. For the 9" i was quoted around $2500 fitted and for the Borg $1400 -$1600, is the extra money spent on the 9" worth it?

Thanks in advance
SLELover

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Agreed :) 3.9s are good in an auto. I wouldn't suggest going over 3.7s for a manual though.
My 3.9's are going in next Friday, so hope everyone is right:p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Hi all i know this may have already been covered somewhere, but i need some advice/information on which Diff to purchase. I have a 84 VH/SLE which originally had a 253 in it so i belive the diff is a single spinner Sailsbury 2:78 ratio (please correct me if i am wrong) i have since put a warmed up 308 in it with a Crane 286 cam, edelbrock performer manifold, slightly ported and polished, rebuilt and modified quaddy and a few other bits and pieces. So its time to get the diff sorted out and i was thinking a Borg Warner Lsd with 3:7 gears. I have phoned around a few places and they reckon the Borg is only good for a approx 300HP engine.

They recommended that if you (in the future) are going to do any more engine work eg stroker then the 9 inch LSD with 3:7 gears will be a lot tougher and last alot longer. Keep in mind that this car is my hobby and purely a weekend car, i dont drag it or thrash it, so what sort of set up would any of you recommend. For the 9" i was quoted around $2500 fitted and for the Borg $1400 -$1600, is the extra money spent on the 9" worth it?

Thanks in advance
SLELover

Thats rubbish, a Borg Warner will easy cope with 450hp (i actually saw a VH SLE at the drags that was running high 10's with a Borg Warner). 9" is over kill man, too heavy, too hard to turn, leave those for the hardcore guys....However, the weak link in a Borg Warner is the LSD centre, but a tight one treated with a bit of respect will live quite fine. If i was you, i wouldnt think twice about going with the Borg Warner, keep the extra $1000 in your pocket.:thumbsup:

SLE Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi Blown V6, i thought that the 9" was a bit of an overkill the LSD will be a new one (maybe reco) on the Borg and as i said i dont thrash the car or drag it just want the option down the track to do some more stuff to my engine and not then have to go back and play around with the diff again.:):)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can't even count the amount of VN's running that diff with the same combo or stronger and no one ever breaks one so you shouldn't have a problem

VS5lTR

MTX KID
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Diff gears 4.11 in Auto Statesman Good Idea Or Bad

Diff gears 4.11 in Auto Statesman Good Idea Or Bad

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Good if you live in the inner city, bad if if you want to drive at 100 anywhere

mazzstein

Yeahhh Karrnntt.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrous 355 Stato

Pimpt6

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH LS1 STATEO VR V6 STATEO & VR V6 BT1
I put some 3.9s recently with a minispool in my stateo and i love it. big difference from the 3.08 ratio.