Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

patto848

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
hi guys, im looking at buying a VY S pac for my first car and finding heaps, but noticing that all the supercharged models are going for a lot lower price. 2 questions here really, firstly how hard and what would you have to do to disconnect a supercharger off a v6 ecotec, obviously the engines not going to run smoothly by simplying removing that belt so what would i need to modify to it? and second question, not important but interesting to know as to why the super6's sell for alot less money with lower km's?
any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers !

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Perhaps Because:

1) They are ****, they make poor power and drink more fuel.
2) P platers aren't allowed to drive them, so there is no demand for them. Anyone who is buying a second or subsequent car is usually looking for something newer with less problems.

Removing the charger will cost you more than the difference between buying a standard Ecotec and the Asthmatic L67. Of course once you are off your Ps you can put the charger back on making you the laughing stock of the forced induction world.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can't drive it with a supercharged engine, regardless of whether the supercharger is spinning or not.

It's as simple as pulling the belt off to disable it though. It'll have a little less power than a stock ecotec with it disconnected.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
... and you think this is a question about "Straight 6 Development And Modification" ?

You might need to work that out before working on either.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Perhaps Because:

2) P platers aren't allowed to drive them, so there is no demand for them. Anyone who is buying a second or subsequent car is usually looking for something newer with less problems.

Removing the charger will cost you more than the difference between buying a standard Ecotec and the Asthmatic L67. Of course once you are off your Ps you can put the charger back on making you the laughing stock of the forced induction world.

Wow don't hold back.
Are you always this negative?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Perhaps Because:

A comment not based on knowledge /\/\

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
hi guys, im looking at buying a VY S pac for my first car and finding heaps, but noticing that all the supercharged models are going for a lot lower price. 2 questions here really, firstly how hard and what would you have to do to disconnect a supercharger off a v6 ecotec, obviously the engines not going to run smoothly by simplying removing that belt so what would i need to modify to it? and second question, not important but interesting to know as to why the super6's sell for alot less money with lower km's?
any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers !

The super 6s are a bit of a guzzler in stock form but usually cos people are expecting more performance out of them than standard form allows. However a few clever mods can really turn that about. I deal with these in Melbourne on a daily basis

If you want to find out more hit me up over on the page and we can go through it better. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boost-n-Tune-Solutions/671723596239246?ref=bookmarks

However, if you want an A to B car and are concerned about economy I'd suggest a Corolla. I have one too, they're great but lack personality and are way toooo sensible!

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
A comment not based on knowledge /\/\

My comments are based on facts and experience.

Facts:
Standard Ecotec: 152 kW (204 hp)
L67 running 6psi of boost: 171 kW (229 hp)

An extra 19kW (25 hp) from 6psi, or to put it another way, an extra 12.5% power from an increase in VE of approximately 40%, or to put it yet another way, "they are ****".

Experience:
Having driven both the stock and charged versions of the ecotec, and also having spent 18 months developing my own charged buick 3800 running 6psi. It was pulling 220kW (295hp) out of a well used 3800 with an SC14 at 6psi.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
My comments are based on facts and experience.

Facts:
Standard Ecotec: 152 kW (204 hp)
L67 running 6psi of boost: 171 kW (229 hp)

An extra 19kW (25 hp) from 6psi, or to put it another way, an extra 12.5% power from an increase in VE of approximately 40%, or to put it yet another way, "they are ****".

Experience:
Having driven both the stock and charged versions of the ecotec, and also having spent 18 months developing my own charged buick 3800 running 6psi. It was pulling 220kW (295hp) out of a well used 3800 with an SC14 at 6psi.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You say they're **** & then quote kw figures, you should know better than to do that.

The L67 was more powerful than the comparable (of the time) V8.

VT L67 Specs:
Maximum power: 171 kW @ 5200 RPM.
Maximum torque: 375 Nm @ 3000 RPM.

Don't forget to put up the torque specs as well, the L67 makes good torque (in stock form) down low & does even better when modded slightly, oh and that's not including a boost upgrade.

Also why are you basing your opinion on the L67, when you owned a Buick 3800 with a (crap) SC14 charger?