Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Are we not talking about the VT? I was referring to when the L67 was first put into a commodore.

Not sure why you jumped the gun.

l67 was first in the vs, and was lower power rating than vt-vy(which are listed as the same)

ls1 was first in the vt.

so which engines do you want to compare?

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
A bit dramatic Stig writing off a whole engine just because you looked at the red book power figures and spent 2 years strapping a glorified AC compressor to your car.

Could have just said it's not your cup of tea.. other people have had some success with them.

I write off the L67 because it's disappointing! It's a "performance option" that seems to have been designed by committee on the cusp of the environmentalist movement getting it's hands around the throat of a dying American automobile industry.

Because the figures back me up, both in terms of technical specs and current pricing I am accused of being dramatic? Sorry for having some form of evidence to back up my argument.

I am not claiming that the SC14 is the best thing since sliced bread, admittedly it is a budget option, but doing all of the work myself I was able to outperform the L67 at the same boost level by some margin. If that isn't cause for concern I don't know what will convince you.

I am sure those who have had success with them spent a lot more money than they could have for the same results on other platforms.

The OP wanted to know why they were cheaper and if he should bother, I gave my opinion backed up with verifiable facts. For this I shall not apologise, and to those who would have me do so, I say...

Take a big step back.......

...............and literally FUQ your own face!

Now that's dramatic :)

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
l67 was first in the vs, and was lower power rating than vt-vy(which are listed as the same)

ls1 was first in the vt.

so which engines do you want to compare?

Maybe the 253?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The V8's ranged from 179kW to 220 kW in the VT. Torque was 400Nm through 446Nm

I am saying that with an SC14 and 6psi of boost I was easily able to pull and extra 73kW out of an older engine, holden managed 19kW with there L67 efforts. Sad!

You seem to be trying to justify your own choice in vehicle, rather than giving impartial advice.

you can get overly defensive mate, but this has nothing to do with the type of car I have.
I really don't care whether my engine is better/crapper than another type. I don't focus on that and I don't put people down for what they have (unlike some on this forum).

Don't forget, you are comparing a Roots type supercharger to a centrifugal type supercharger and you are writing one off due to it making less kw's than the other, this proves how little minded you are being.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
L67 is an engine that went into multiple series. But just to keep you happy, the VT had an LS1 aswell. So, my question still stands.

Yeah that's all fine and dandy (yes you are correct) but the LS1 was not in the VT when the first L67 was put into a commodore. So your question is irrelevant.

Oh and if you want to harp on about it, NO A STOCK L67 WOULD NOT BEAT A STOCK LS1 - happy :)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you can get overly defensive mate, but this has nothing to do with the type of car I have.
I really don't care whether my engine is better/crapper than another type. I don't focus on that and I don't put people down for what they have (unlike some on this forum).

Don't forget, you are comparing a Roots type supercharger to a centrifugal type supercharger and you are writing one off due to it making less kw's than the other, this proves how little minded you are being.

sc14 and m90 are both roots type blowers...

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow, this has gone well. Coming from someone who used to own an L67, in stock form they're definately not anything to write home about, however with a few mods they can get along quiet well. I bet a lot better than an SC14 on a V6.

Having said all that, I've got rid of my L67 and now own 4 V8 cars, so make of that what you will.

Stig, you're forgetting to take into account the L67's lowered compression, compared to both the ecotec and your Buick. More comp will help make up for the shortfalls of the SC14.

Lowered to 8.5:1 ?? The same as the 3800 (L27 derivative) in my VP. So no your argument is invalid.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I am not claiming that the SC14 is the best thing since sliced bread, admittedly it is a budget option, but doing all of the work myself I was able to outperform the L67 at the same boost level by some margin. If that isn't cause for concern I don't know what will convince you.

You do know that running the same amount of boost on a fairly similar engine that is running a higher compression ration, will have more power.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride

If you are going to argue. Please at least research your statements before making them.