Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Display intermittently shows ‘Vin not present’ airbag light and stability control lights flash,

LGMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HSV Maloo
Hi all

So my 2012 Maloo has a strange fault where intermittently the display/IQ/EDI/radio will show ‘no vin present’ EDI and radio will stop working and only rarely the airbag , stability control and contact dealer light will come up on dash, The no vin present happens sometimes every time for a couple days then not again for a week?? Sometimes it comes and goes every few seconds or minutes other times it comes on constant or until I stop and restart the engine etc?? Any ideas before I send it to an auto sparky and it won’t do it so I’ll probably be wasting my money?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
This might sound silly but have you checked the battery voltage? They're known to cause all sorts of random error codes...

LGMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HSV Maloo
Yeah, I installed a brand new battery, no change..

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
I got the same issue with my VE Ute 2013,

Was told to try leave the battery off so did it for 2 days and tried again and still same issue.

I got the CAN bus codes at the local mechanic.

Hope we can all get to the bottom of this and get it fixed for everyone.

LGMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HSV Maloo
I got the same issue with my VE Ute 2013,

Was told to try leave the battery off so did it for 2 days and tried again and still same issue.

I got the CAN bus codes at the local mechanic.

Hope we can all get to the bottom of this and get it fixed for everyone.
So I’ve made progress on my issue, had to pull dash section off under steering wheel to gain access to the plug for radio/IQ and waited until both the ‘no vin present ‘ aswell as the warning indicators on cluster come up and quickly pulled power from IQ Iq obviously turned off and alarms also went from dash cluster so I can assume it is the IQ unit in my case as if it was a BCM fault alarms would have stayed on cluster.. now I just have to pick up new IQ get it programmed and change it out and hope I’m correct….hope that helps

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Aww nice, my dash isn’t throwing any fault lights which is the odd thing.

I did however have a reverse camera installed 1 year back before the problem started and I think they plug the rear camera into the plug under the steering / driver side kick panel… I don’t know if that is what caused it ‍♂️ but I need to take the car to a auto electrician but if I don’t know what I’m talking about they going to take me for a ride lol

LGMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HSV Maloo
Aww nice, my dash isn’t throwing any fault lights which is the odd thing.

I did however have a reverse camera installed 1 year back before the problem started and I think they plug the rear camera into the plug under the steering / driver side kick panel… I don’t know if that is what caused it ‍♂️ but I need to take the car to a auto electrician but if I don’t know what I’m talking about they going to take me for a ride lol
Yeah see to begin with mine didn’t either then as the issue got more frequent it also started doing the dash cluster alarms- still only very rarely I just had to keep driving it until it did alarm to try cancel out either bcm or IQ…I’ve spoken to a few people now and they’ve all said similar things with the IQ starting to fail on these models, seems to be more likely your issue but it’s honestly just a swap it out and see/hope it fixes it or take it to an auto sparky and will probably end up costing you the same to tell you what’s wrong with it as it will even if you have to replace both.. providing you can replace them yourself I guess it’s pretty straight forward just have to be very careful removing trim etc as all breaks very easily

LGMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HSV Maloo
Yeah see to begin with mine didn’t either then as the issue got more frequent it also started doing the dash cluster alarms- still only very rarely I just had to keep driving it until it did alarm to try cancel out either bcm or IQ…I’ve spoken to a few people now and they’ve all said similar things with the IQ starting to fail on these models, seems to be more likely your issue but it’s honestly just a swap it out and see/hope it fixes it or take it to an auto sparky and will probably end up costing you the same to tell you what’s wrong with it as it will even if you have to replace both.. providing you can replace them yourself I guess it’s pretty straight forward just have to be very careful removing trim etc as all breaks very easily
I do have an instruction thing somewhere I could probably find you outlines every step to change both the IQ and BCM

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
That would be heaps helpful mate, I’m from Sydney so I prob would need to get a audio guy or someone to replace it once I find a replacement iq unit.

LGMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HSV Maloo
That would be heaps helpful mate, I’m from Sydney so I prob would need to get a audio guy or someone to replace it once I find a replacement iq unit.
I’ve got a number for fella who’s in Sydney mate bit of a guru apparently I’ll find that send u also would pay to just give him a call