Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Window Tint

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
To tint your vehicle with CS Black would be $400.00 including GST and for Crystalline 40 it would be $650.00

what make/model of car did you get that quote for mate?

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
what make/model of car did you get that quote for mate?

i emailed asking for a full quote for darkest legal tint for a 2002 holden vy commodore sedan, and this is the whole reply.

Hi Nic

Good afternoon, thank you for your e-mail and interest in 3M films.

You may already know that we are the state distributor of 3M Scotchtint film and are based in Osborne Park. 3M was founded over 100 years ago and went on to develop window film (trade name Scotchtint) in 1966, it was the first film ever to receive a patent which gives 3M over 40 years of proven performance. 3M is the world leader in adhesive technology - the most important ingredient in window film and have been developing adhesives for over 85 years.

There are two options for you, one is 3M CS Black (Colour Stable) and the other is 3M Crystalline 40.

· 3M CS Black and Crystalline 40 will both reduce the harmful UV rays by 98- 99% protecting your skin and also the interior of your vehicle from the harmful effects of the sun. Crystalline has the additional and very important benefit of being the only film that will stop Infra-red radiation.

· 3M CS Black is available in a 35% density which is the darkest legal tint allowed on WA roads and the lighter 50% density which is called CS50 - both of these are the same price.

3M Crystalline 40 has greater heat reduction qualities without such a dark matt black appearance and in the only film available that will stop Infra-red Radiation. You may find the information on our website useful www.dmstinting.com.au.

You may or may not be aware of the following. Even without window film on the glass, the glass alone will stop a percentage of heat entering the vehicle, the glass will also absorb a percentage of heat which is why glass is hot to the touch but when 3M film is applied it will block even more heat coming through the glass and entering the vehicle. 3M CS35 Black will reduce that remaining heat by a further 26% and 3M Crystalline between 59% and 66% on top of what is already being blocked by the glass without any film. Unfortunately to increase sales and make heat reduction look greater these details are often not given out by other companies, this misleads customers as some manufactures claim an unrealistic heat reduction which should be treated with caution.

These films are covered by the unconditional lifetime warranty that you would expect from a manufacturer the caliber of 3M. 3M guarantee the film will not bubble, peel, flake, discolor or break down in any way. There are no exclusions, clauses or small print whatsoever within this genuine warranty. You can be 100 confident in knowing that in the unlikely event that you should you experience any issues with your film any stage regardless of how many years after the film was applied, any distributor within Australia would strip the film and re-tint it for you under the warranty completely free of charge.

To tint your vehicle with CS Black would be $400.00 including GST and for Crystalline 40 it would be $650.00. We can give a $50.00 discount to RAC Roadside Assist members taking the price down to $350.00 for 3M CS Black and $600.00 for 3M Crystalline 40 including GST.

The tinting of your vehicle should take around 3 hours for CS 35 and 3-4 hours for Crystalline 40. We open at 7.30 am and are a pleasant 15 min walk to Glendalough station, we can easily keep your vehicle all day and securely overnight if that suits you better. We have a small waiting area with a daily newspaper and tea & coffee available should you choose to wait and a lift locally to the shopping center or train station can be arranged for you. We are booking about a week in advance at the moment and would be able to accommodate a time that is most convenient for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance. Wishing you a pleasant day and assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Regards

Sue

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
that not very cheap I would ring around I had a vp wagon striped and tinted 4 years ago for 350 in fremantle. The only trouble with living in W.A is that every tradey now thinks they should earn what the miners earn.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Sounds like a bit of a rip, I paid $200 for my sedan to get tinted with CSS 35 and it took them 2 hours.

That was including a lifetime warranty

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Its also because the pros use special tint that is way thicker than the stuff you buy at Repco. I bought some Repco stuff and it was fine to tint my ute with ( Rodeo ) But tried to do my commodore and I went absolutely mental trying, Its just too flimsy. Crease's and scratches far to easily.

Moral of the the story, spending $100 on tint only buys you a head ache. Another $100 and I would of had a top job and a life time warranty :/

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
i emailed asking for a full quote for darkest legal tint for a 2002 holden vy commodore sedan, and this is the whole reply.

To tint your vehicle with CS Black would be $400.00 including GST and for Crystalline 40 it would be $650.00. We can give a $50.00 discount to RAC Roadside Assist members taking the price down to $350.00 for 3M CS Black and $600.00 for 3M Crystalline 40 including GST.

......a pleasant 15 min walk to Glendalough station,

The CS Black seems reasonable with the RAC discount.

And I question where they are walking to make it a pleasant walk to the station lol. Ossie Park aint that nice.

. The only trouble with living in W.A is that every tradey now thinks they should earn what the miners earn.

Quoted for truth.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
The tinting of your vehicle should take around 3 hours for CS 35 and 3-4 hours for Crystalline 40
Although it doesn't take 3 hours to tint a VY sedan (i assume they are giving themselves a bit of breathing room just incase..) i dont know why they think using a different film will take up to an hour longer?? LOL but that's their prerogative i guess.
Also $400 for any sedan, brand new or 30 years old, is a bit pricey. Shop around you can do a LOT better than that. Anywhere from $300 to $350 seems reasonable, however, for a Tinter with no overheads, you could expect to pay a lot less than that even.

Its also because the pros use special tint that is way thicker than the stuff you buy at Repco. Its just too flimsy. Crease's and scratches far to easily.
This is true. The cheaper films that Autoshops sell are usually the Dye based films, which are thin due to the mere 2-3 layers they have, and very prone to scratching/marking due to the poor (or non existent) scratch resistant coating.
The better (and more common) quality films like 3M, Solarguard, SunTek, Bekaert, MEP etc feel thicker due to the many more layers they have. For example, a majority of films these days are still Metallized, and consist of several layers that aid in UV rejection, scratch resistance, and different metals depending on the intended function. They last a lot longer, dont fade as fast, and stop a lot more heat.
The likes of 3Ms "Crystalline" is more expensive, as it would be a hybrid film. Which is usually Titanium, Carbon, or even Ceramic based films. Which combine the good quality of rich colored dye based films and the benefits of metallized films.