Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do 18X8 VE Rims need spacers?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The Holden Commodore is designed to use a hub centric wheel. So use it. There are examples of after market wheels that have failed and come off the vehicles because the wheel wasn't fitted using a the proper size hub ring.

You Aussies call us kiwi's dodgy and yet you 2 guys that seem to work in the trade are recommending the most dodgy of methods for something that is fundamental to a vehicle driving safely on the road.

The hub centric wheel was only designed, to eliminate balance issues that can arise, due to the unsprung weight difference between the early model cars and later model cars.

A wheel will only come off, if the wheel nuts aren't tightened correctly and in the correct order....Nothing to do with a hub ring. If it had something to do with hub rings, why did it take decades to introduce them? Why do 2,000 + HP drag cars run axles, that have no drum boss....No drum boss, means wheels are held on by wheel nuts alone and nothing else.

EDIT, I stuffed up....Wheels can come off, when aftermarket wheels are fitted with hub rings, and the spare is a factory wheel....Especially when people fail to notice them and forget to remove them.

Nothing dodgy about a die grinder buddy.....It's identical to a lathe....In the wrong hands, things turn to crap really quick...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm sorry but a die grinder is nothing like a lathe and if you can't see that then I pity the fool!

The hub centric wheel make sure the wheel is centred correctly on the hub, no more, no less. If the hubs weren't important why would car manufacturers go to the trouble of designing and fitting them on there vehicles. Why do after market wheel manufacturers recommend that you use the correct hub ring spacers when fitting after market wheels on cars if they don't think it was necessary?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm sorry but a die grinder is nothing like a lathe and if you can't see that then I pity the fool!

I'll have to agree....A die grinder being used, with a small error, it can be correctly easily, if it's discovered quickly....A lathe, once an item is put on incorrectly, the stuff up can't be rectified, once the lathe has been started up.

The hub centric wheel make sure the wheel is centred correctly on the hub, no more, no less. If the hubs weren't important why would car manufacturers go to the trouble of designing and fitting them on there vehicles. Why do after market wheel manufacturers recommend that you use the correct hub ring spacers when fitting after market wheels on cars if they don't think it was necessary?

Hub eccentric rings and interference fit wheels are used to solve balance issues, due to the unsprung weight differences between the older cars and newer ones....Not to do with a wheel coming off or any other reason than that....Also remember, hub eccentric rings and interference fitting rims only came into effect late 80's, maybe early 90's.(Memory isn't that good these days) Prior to this era, there was no such thing....

Then explain, why you have high horsepower vehicles, running on drag strips,(I'm talking sub 7 sec ET's) that don't even have a drum boss, to locate a wheel.....There are also fully engineered, legal axles used in street cars, that also don't have a drum boss. (Romac rings a bell) So all that is holding wheels on these cars, is 5 silly wheel nuts

I'd suggest you do some research on unsprung weight of vehicles and how unsprung weight will effect the static balance of a tyre/wheel assembley on a vehicle. Then you might understand why manufacturers of vehicles have an interference fitting wheel on the hub and why aftermarket wheel manufacturers suggest (and they only suggest, not insist) using hub eccentric locating rings on their wheels.

Then we look at the aftermarket wheels and their hub centric rings....They are made out of 2 different materials....The regular ones are made from plastic, which over time, actually disintergrate....So over time, it renders them useless, as a locating device for a wheel.....The plastic ones are colour coded.....Different colours are different thicknesses....The other material is alinimum....The alinimum ones are the largest available....These are very very rarely used, because it is very rare to have a wheel/hub assembley that has such a big variance.....

So before commenting further, do research and answer all my questions.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You keep comparing a die grinder Vs an incompetent lathe operator....That has been and continues to be your only argument. Seems to me you need to find a competent lathe operator and learn a thing or 2 about engineering.

And, should you stuff it up, it would be possible to correct the work by boring slightly oversize and then sleeving. There is more than one way to skin a cat and I can guarantee you will never be able to do that type of work with a bloody die grinder. Non of this is difficult and stuff we do at work in our machine shop on a regular basis to repair worn/damaged machine parts.

BTW, miss-quoting me won't help your argument!

I think you also need to think a bit harder about when hub centric wheels came into fashion......the very first commodore came out in 1978......

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTO, VS S3 Ute, WB UTE, J10 Jeep
I have a set of new VE 18" rims still in boxes.
Does anyone know if you need the guards rolled to fit them to a VS Ute ?
Looks like the rear guards might need rolling

Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You keep comparing a die grinder Vs an incompetent lathe operator....That has been and continues to be your only argument. Seems to me you need to find a competent lathe operator and learn a thing or 2 about engineering.

And, should you stuff it up, it would be possible to correct the work by boring slightly oversize and then sleeving. There is more than one way to skin a cat and I can guarantee you will never be able to do that type of work with a bloody die grinder. Non of this is difficult and stuff we do at work in our machine shop on a regular basis to repair worn/damaged machine parts.

BTW, miss-quoting me won't help your argument!

I think you also need to think a bit harder about when hub centric wheels came into fashion......the very first commodore came out in 1978......

Yep, keep comparing an incompetent lathe operator to an incompetent die grinder operator......The key word being INCOMPETENT.....Easier to stuff something in a lathe, than with a die grinder, if it's not picked up quickly. So I'm not misquoting you....You're not reading properly

I see you still haven't found out about unsprung weight yet, nor have you found out about the axles I mentioned and why wheels don't fall off due to having only 5 wheels nuts holding them in place.....You also haven't explained how wheels stay in place, when the plastic locating ring disintergrates... And the correct name for the wheels is an interference fit wheel, not hub centric....

Now useless information time.....Interference fit wheels really came to the fore front late 80's, early 90's.....Prior to that, the wheels weren't interference fit.....Interference fit means, a very tight fit....The first Commodores out, didn't have a tight fitting wheel....

So keep quiet until you do...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
edit:

Not worth the agro, if people are happy to use a die grinder to modify there mag wheels I'm happy for em, after all I'm in NZ so there is no way you could potentially kill me :)

Peace out.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
edit:

Not worth the agro, if people are happy to use a die grinder to modify there mag wheels I'm happy for em, after all I'm in NZ so there is no way you could potentially kill me :)

Peace out.

Are you happy for people to run aftermarket wheels without hub ring locators too?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate, people can do as they please. I've offered my 2 cents, people either agree or they don't. Doesn't bother me either way.

I think from now on I'll just post sarcastic comments, funny memes and pics, they tend to get a lot more likes which is what a forum is all about isn't it?

Peace out.